Organ donation

JarheadBoom

Guest awfltdoc
Is it possible to stay on flying status after donating a kidney?

Assuming your on flying status, I'd say maybe. According to the USAF waiver guide, a waiver could be considered for an aviator whom has had one kidney removed for renal cancer assuming the remaining kidney is fine and he/she has been "cured" (two years disease/medicine/treatment free).

There is no information in the waiver guide for "organ donation" so I am making an inferance from the information above. I definately would seek out advice from your local flight surgeon on this, and I as the local flight surgeon would call the MAJCOM flight surgeon to discuss this before acting on donation of a kidney to make sure its all okay. This is something that would require coordination up the chain both medical and line.

It think it would be much more difficult for someone who is not a USAF aviator already to get a FCI/IA waiver for this. Having one kidney is DQ for FCI/IA.

Edited by awfltdoc

• 2 weeks later...
...I definately would seek out advice from your local flight surgeon on this, and I as the local flight surgeon would call the MAJCOM flight surgeon to discuss this before acting on donation of a kidney to make sure its all okay. This is something that would require coordination up the chain both medical and line.

Our flight surgeon, based on his track record, would DNIF me for just asking the question...

Thanks for the info; good to know it's not a "Go directly to jail" type thing. It could end up being no factor, but the possibility is there.

Our flight surgeon, based on his track record, would DNIF me for just asking the question...

Thanks for the info; good to know it's not a "Go directly to jail" type thing. It could end up being no factor, but the possibility is there.

There's a guy from my OTS class at Columbus who is donating a kidney or already donated one... either way I don't think he's totally DQ'd for it, I believe he had his class date moved back about 6 months or something. So it's possible.