Mood Disorder Waiver

Guest mac3

• 2 months later...

Question for deaddebate or anyone who has experience with this area:

As a cadet, can you request a psych evaluation by an Air Force or DODMERB psychiatrist to help with obtaining a waiver for past mood/depression disorders?

Haven't we been through this? I would worry about a security clearance first.

Huh? When have ever asked about this? And my request isn't for pilot or any specific AFSC-related waiver. I have some previous instances of depression/mood swings years ago that no longer affect me, but its on my record so I assume its an auto DQ. I'm hoping that a psych evaluation by an AF doc could help in obtaining a waiver. I want to know if you are allowed to request one or if they can only do it per DODMERB's request.

• 2 weeks later...
As a cadet, can you request a psych evaluation by an Air Force or DODMERB psychiatrist to help with obtaining a waiver for past mood/depression disorders?
Are you already at the Academy? If so, yes. If not and still a civilian applicant, you can request one, but it's entirely discretionary for the Chief Medical Officer at a MEPS to provide the option, and they generally deny it. Read the link "Medical Standards for Entry" in my sig. DODMERB's, in my experience, are usually performed at an MTF, and they aren't paying for anything extra if they aren't required to pay.

Easiest (and more expensive) path may be to do it independently.