Special Ops Aviation

usaf36031

Guest Boom
don't forget Folkerts!

http://www.af.mil/bios/bio.asp?bioID=5436

And Planert

http://www.af.mil/bios/bio.asp?bioID=6774

Lots of helo O-6s around, too. The 58 SOW/CC is a 60 driver, the 23 WG/CC is a 60 driver, the 563 RQG/CC is a 60 driver, there are some other 60 driver O-6s who aren't currently in ops assignments, our next 347 RQG/CC is going to be a 60 driver (though that's 9 months down the road). I'm sure there are plenty of 53 O-6s as well. Ignore those who say you have no opportunity for promotion in you go helos. Our wing (347 RQW now the 23 WG) has had one of the best promotion selection rates in the ops community in recent years .

Also, not all helos are AFSOC. 60s were AFSOC for 2 years and then went back to ACC. Yes we deploy a lot because we're LDHD, but it's nothing like the length of Army deployments. We were doing 60 on, 120 off, but then our community got tasked for more than just CSAR so now it's more like 120 on, 120 off. Busy, but rewarding. Getting your first save is the best feeling in the world.

I think the 336 TRG/CC here at Fairchild is a Helo guy too.

Lots of helo O-6s around, too. The 58 SOW/CC is a 60 driver, the 23 WG/CC is a 60 driver, the 563 RQG/CC is a 60 driver, there are some other 60 driver O-6s who aren't currently in ops assignments, our next 347 RQG/CC is going to be a 60 driver (though that's 9 months down the road). I'm sure there are plenty of 53 O-6s as well. Ignore those who say you have no opportunity for promotion in you go helos. Our wing (347 RQW now the 23 WG) has had one of the best promotion selection rates in the ops community in recent years .

All hail the -60 mafia! Kind of rough as one of the newer guys to see the "#1 HC-130 pilot in the wing" only get a "P" to Lt Col. But I'm just coloring away, blooming where I'm planted, keeping my trap shut, and always looking for an out. Rescue can be a great career path if you're a -60 dude. On the other hand, the soon-to-be 550 SOS/CC is an OUTSTANDING leader and pilot. I wish he was going to an CAF ops squadron.

Rainman, what do I know, but I would guess (as you might also), that 23 WG/CCs will be Hog drivers hereafter, possibly with a Pavehawk guy once every so often.

Guest Safe&Clear
I'm assumed it was the standard "I'm the commander so I'll be 'checked out' to fly everything" gig. Do you really think they got the executive checkout? I doubt it since neither of them went to FWQ. My real point was it seemd pretty pitiful to put that on an official bio when they clearly never logged one second of CMR time in the airplane. It seems especially unusual since they went through Rucker, never did any USAF fixed wing training and then said they "flew" Hercs. There's no way anyone under their command ever thought of them as MC/AC-130 pilots. That bothers me for some reason. It just doesn't seem to pass the integrity sniff test.

IP on board and manipulate the flight controls and you can officially log it as "aircraft flown?

I guess I could say "I flew" the Bone, Eagle, Mudhen, LGPOS, AH-1, KC-10, GR4, F3, Hawk, MH-53J, C-130, C-17, C-141 and KC-135 then...right?

Again, it smells like they are trying too hard. They should be proud to be Helo guys because that is something to be proud of. I would respect them much more if they acted that way.

You're right-- Wurster was never qual'd in the AC-130. Not sure why that's on his bio.

Think it'll stay that way once the A-10s show up? That would be cool.

Since we just had the change of command in May (prev WG/CC was a 60 driver, too), and the A-10s are rolling in around Aug, then yeah. I think the Vice is going to be a Hawg driver. And then I heard they're going to up it to a BG slot, since it's a monster wing (only bigger one is the 57th at Nellis, I'm told). So then there will be BG WG/CCs at Moody, some of them 60 drivers, some of them A-10 drivers, some of them King drivers, I'm sure. Our WG/CC 2 people ago was a 130 NAV (Heithold and he's been picked up for BG since then).

Guest Rainman A-10
Since we just had the change of command in May (prev WG/CC was a 60 driver, too), and the A-10s are rolling in around Aug, then yeah. I think the Vice is going to be a Hawg driver.

Are there going to be separate fighter and rescue groups or one operations group?

Guest Rainman A-10
347th rescue group (60's and 130's)

23rd fighter group (A10's)

All under the 23rd Wing?

don't forget the 820th SFG (the contingency response bubbas, though I hear they're going to break off the wing and be a tenant again). Not flying, but definitely ops-types. about as close as you can get to being SOF without being SOF.

and the 563rd has an OL-A at Nellis for the 66th RQS (60s) and 58 RQS (PJs).

Guest SATCOM
Like has been said repeatedly here on the forums here, pick the mission you want to fly. If your want to come to AFSOC to make a career, and not for the mission, you are here for the wrong reasons. We are here to support our users, whether it be infil/exfil, resupply , direct action, ect. If you are good at your job and want to progress through the ranks it will happen of its own accord (mostly). You will make sacrifices when it comes to time at home just like everyone else flying in the Air Force. SOF and AFSOC seem to be in favor politically now, but I don’t personally expect that to last forever. Historically SOF leaves political favor after the conflicts are over. You will miss your kid’s birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, Christmas, and everything else the AF didn’t issue you when you joined, but, if you believe in the mission, you will come home more than satisfied, and I believe this to be true for every mission and aircraft.

Damn, that sums it up nicely. Just the stuff I pass on to my young PJ's and CCT's.....