Snowbird Crash

Gas Man

I think I'm Jinxed. I was down in SC a couple of weeks ago for the Blue Angel crash. Now I'm home in Montana and was up at the airport this afternoon meeting my Brother and watching the Snow Birds taking off for practice for this weekend's airshow. I was driving down the hill into town and saw smoke. The first thing I thought was I hope they didn't crash. Unfortunately I was right the #2 jet went in at Malmstrom AFB. I'll give more details as I get them. Man, I hate to see anybody lose their life in an airplane. From what I'm hearing on the local news the pilot didn't make it out.

From MSNBC Website...

GREAT FALLS, Mont. - A Canadian Forces Snowbird pilot was killed Friday when his jet crashed at Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana while rehearsing for performances this weekend.

The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration confirmed the death in a release.

The crash occurred at 3:45 p.m., when a group of planes were practicing maneuvers above the base. One plane left the formation and "for some reason shortly thereafter pitched down and crashed," FAA spokesman Allen Kenitzer said.

Our prayers go out to the family.

My bro who is a PA just got off the phone with me and handled all the on-slaught from local & national media on this one, aparently a large portion of the base was out for the rehersal watching the show. Thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Just a little food for thought, as much as some in the military demonize the media. I have to give credit where credit is due. When someone goes down from a flagship act, the press hasn't automatically named names. (There has been far too much of it this summer) They could if they wanted to, since these units are usually very well publicized with in-depth bios and numbered jet...but I've noticed so far this year that the press hasn't been so cold as release the names of the deceased without the blessing from PA.

But back to the important point, cheers to our friends from the north :beer:

Edited by Pitt4401

Canada needs to get out of the aerobatics team business, or get rid of its Tutors, buy Hawks from the Swiss and rebuild the team from the ground up. They must have by far the worst safety record of any team in the last decade or so, and there are no signs of it improving.

RIP the pilot. :beer:

• 2 months later...
Guest thefranchise

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CAN...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

Seatbelt Failure Cited in Pilot's Death

TORONTO (AP) -- A Canadian Forces pilot who died when his jet crashed while rehearsing for an air show last May lost control of his plane after his seatbelt unfastened as he flew upside down, according to an investigator's report released Monday.

Capt. Shawn McCaughey, 31, fell out of his seat while his Canadair CT-114 Tutor was in a practice formation with three other planes and flying upside down at an altitude of 300 feet over Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana, according to the interim report.

The single-engine jet climbed and rolled upright before nosing over at about 750 feet and then hitting the ground at about 45 degrees nose down, according to the interim report.

McCaughey, who apparently was unable to eject after falling from his seat, died when the aircraft hit the ground. Investigators are still looking into how McCaughey's seatbelt became unfastened.

The report said preventive measures have already been taken, including modifications to the pilot restraint system, changes to the aircraft operating instructions and enhanced training for aircrew and passengers.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.