Him him

Guest piperwarrior

Guest piperwarrior

So I'm sure theres some poem or song I'm missing, but what is the significance of "him him"? I'm a young grasshopper in need of enlightenment.

It's a fair question, and I'm sure others could call me harsh in the way I answered.

That's ok.

Someone else may choose to answer it in full and that's not the end of the world either.

If / when you're fortunate enough to hang out in or be a part of a fighter squadron bar, you'll probably find out.

Bottom line: It's part of our heritage, and how we honor and remember our fallen comrades. If you're not in the know, then offering "A toast ..." is also a great way to show respect to a fallen warrior.

Someday, you might throw a nickel on the grass for a friend. I hope you don't.

If you do, then him him.

It's a fair question, and I'm sure others could call me harsh in the way I answered.

That's ok.

Someone else may choose to answer it in full and that's not the end of the world either.

If / when you're fortunate enough to hang out in or be a part of a fighter squadron bar, you'll probably find out.

Bottom line: It's part of our heritage, and how we honor and remember our fallen comrades. If you're not in the know, then offering "A toast ..." is also a great way to show respect to a fallen warrior.

Someday, you might throw a nickel on the grass for a friend. I hope you don't.

If you do, then him him.

Thanks for the response. While it doesn't really tell me what it means at least I know somewhat the symbolic meaning of it and where it comes from. :salut:

Guest Rainman A-10

Just don't use it unless you know what it means and it means what you know. Simple, really.

So I'm sure theres some poem or song I'm missing, but what is the significance of "him him"? I'm a young grasshopper in need of enlightenment

Reference "Has anybody seen my wingman" and you'll get an idea.

Scroll up.

Is there something wrong with referencing a song to get a better idea? I believe the words "song" or "poem" were used by the original poster. I realize the phrase was born long before the song came out, but if you listen to it; I think it gives a context to the phrase that you don't get by "scrolling up."

As someone who enjoys the rich lexicon of our flying world, I'm curious to know more about this. I'm not part of the fighter fraternity, and as such, I do not plan to use this particular toast, so don't worry about that.

Can you post the poem here? Can one of you fighter-types elaborate further?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jollygreen

It isn’t “him” but rather “Hymn”. As in a reference to a church hymn.

It isn’t reserved or limited to the fighter community; it exists in other segments of the USAF.

In the times I have heard it, the "Hymn" is normally stated in the following manner…

“Hymn, hymn…*u c k him”

It is not said in disrespect, but rather respect, and jest, for the one who is recognized.

As far as I know, it originated during the Vietnam War. I do not have the details on when, by who, or why.

Guest rumblefish_2

WTF? I just checked all my song books and they say "him, him" not "hymn, hymn"

Guest Rainman A-10
It isn’t “him” but rather “Hymn”. As in a reference to a church hymn.

It isn’t reserved or limited to the fighter community; it exists in other segments of the USAF.

In the times I have heard it, the "Hymn" is normally stated in the following manner…

“Hymn, hymn…*u c k him”

It is not said in disrespect, but rather respect, and jest, for the one who is recognized.

As far as I know, it originated during the Vietnam War. I do not have the details on when, by who, or why.

Ugh.

WTFO?