TDY Gouge - Senegal

Baseops.Net

Dakar, Senegal - Presidential Meridian is decent and is the nicest hotel around. It is on the water and offers plenty to do right there at the hotel/resort. The poolside restaurant might be the most ideal spot for seeing the topless French ladies and the food is pretty good. Nine of us on the crew decided to go downtown to the market (free hotel van both ways) for some shopping; Don't Do It! Usually nine crewmembers all together are pretty safe....not here. As soon as the van rolled away, we were mobbed by 50+ africans who tried to pick-pocket us while shoving their products for sale in our face. We hid out in the first bar we could find for a few hours until the van came back to get us. The hotel has a beach, topless pool, 3 or 4 restaurants and a few bars. The rooms are a little older and a little musty. If you are a C-5 crew....the place where they have you taxi the airplane to get gas in not even close to legal for wingtip clearance. We had to take the wing over a blast fence...be very careful and put several scanners on the ground. ~Le Meridien President 00221-869-6969 was the best place to stay in Dakar. Decent restaurant, within walking distance of other restaurants and small market (out the gate, go right until the beach). Rather expensive, but you make $87/day. Large pool frequented by South African, Belgian, Air France flight crews. Lousy golf course, but it's there. (No, I mean LOUSY as in fairways=rough, greens=??) 20 minute car ride to the airport, Senegalese military side easy to work with and very helpful. Ask for Lt Col Touba Lo, the base Ops Officer.

~Hotel Ngor Diarama was a dump! Insist on any other hotel if possible, numerous crewmembers had no A/C and i found a spider in my bed. The only benefit is its close proximity to the airport. It was clean, but that's about it. The runway is a black hole, but it and the ramp areas are in good condition.

~Le Meridien President (PH 221-869-69-69 FAX 221-869-69-24) was a decent hotel considering you are in Africa. The hotel is clean and the rooms are equipped with cable internet. No sign of insects in my room. The sink and toilet would not drain. There is a business center with limited hours of operation that is cheap and you can print IMT crew papers there, provided it's open. The two restaurants are decent and the bar is good. Do not drink the water or consume ice. Bring bottled water. The mosquitoes were very bad ... take your Doxy. Verizon's world-wide cell works here. The hookers fill the hotel at night ... beware. The concierge recommended a good spot for quick shopping. The taxi was disgusting. You can shop in the hotel but it is more expensive.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.