TDY Gouge - Kyrgystan

Baseops.Net

Ganci Airbase - Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan - Tent city set up after 911. Good services: BX, gym, rec centers (x3) with a 2-beer limit via beer ration card, movies, barber, library. No Burger King, Pizza, etc. Chow hall is a mix of UGR's (bulk MRE's) and some fresh food. Possibly expect MRE's for inflights or stock up on pretzels and coke at the BX. If staying long, morale trips into downtown available. Email/internet work good. Tents have proper bunks with mattresses. Check NOTAMS well. Local control is a bit dicey at times but if you coordinate with the USAF/USMC controllers listed in NOTAMS you'll help yourself out. Runway is in horrible condition, a real teeth-rattler on takeoff. Local weather identifier UAFM is always doom and gloom. Try French identifier EQBA for more accurate forecasts.

~As of Apr 04, beer was cut off by the Wing CC. You could still go downtown, but you were not allowed to drink. You can still purchase near-beer on base (two bucks a bottle), but don't even think of bringing near-beer from the BX's (four bucks a six pack) in Afganistan to Ganci.

Manas AB, Kyrgyzstan - Welcome to Siberia or the frozen wasteland of a former Russian state. Temperatures average -30. I recently returned from a stay at Manas AB, Kyrgyzstan. The facilities I stayed in were substandard at best. Only one step above being outside. I had to trudge through 3 feet of snow to the bathroom and froze my way back from the shower. And the toilet paper was the consistency of sandpaper. All this while the guys next to me were staying in spacious 4 star billeting rooms. And don't even drink the water. I had the Kyrgy squirts the whole time I was there. The only good part was the #9 beers and the chili. The beer is named after the percentage of alcohol in it. The chili would be worth paying for in the states. And with the Perdiem rate I ate my fair share. Air service into this location is spotty at best. I had to fly on some dirty, smelly ancient old aircraft. One high point is that is in what used to be USSR. And they have taken a liking to the American dollar. Shopping is cheap and the gruel is good. Every day was "Groundhogs Day" and "Hogans Hero's" combined. Everyday the same and locked away in my cell & fenced in. Food isn't bad. Managed to get fatter since i have been here. Just joking! Really not a bad place for crew dogs. Billeting is pretty standard. Usually doubled up but showers are hot and everything is in-doors. Tents are a possibility if crew upsets the wrong people.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.