UPT DG Formula?

Guest Guppyguy

Guest Guppyguy

Does the DG status take into account all phases of UPT(1-3) or just the last phase? I keep hearing different takes on this. Anybody know how they formulate class rankings for this?

Guppyguy

Guest TheBobGoat

for some reason i thought that it took into account everything...like the flying excellence award. and your assignment only depended on phase III, but i guess tweet faip would know best

Guest HueyPilot

When I went through, DG included EVERYTHING. For assignment purposes they only counted your Phase III scores. But, that was 3-4 years ago...could've changed.

But basically they count checkrides, daily rides and your Flt/CC ranking the most. EPQs and academic test scores factor in, but to a lesser extent.

AFI 36-2205 says that the DG is taken from the top 10% of each track. Therefore, it doesn't take into account Phase 2. I personally think it hurts the T-38 dudes when the top guys out of Phase 2 usually go -38s and only one of them will get DG.

Guest jesnen98

In a previous life I used to be one of the guys responsible for calculating the MASS and doing the awards for classes that were graduating. The real answer is it depends on what base you are at. It is at the discretion of the wing commander (and really the squadron commander) whether or not they want to use the scores from both phase II and III or not. When I was a stud at Laughlin, they used both. By the end of my FAIP tour, they started to get T-6 guys from Moody in the mix, and we had to figure out how to compare the T-6 phase II scores to the T-37 phase II scores to determine rankings. Since both use the MASS system, XL at the time determined that they could compare them in apples to apples format. However, we contacted Vance as well, because they had been dealing with T-34 phase II students for years, and they told us they only used Phase III scores to calculate the awards.

An IP told me a few months ago that it includes Phase II and phase III, at least at Columbus.

When they figured out our DG's, I am pretty sure they used phase II stuff as well, but I cannot be certain. I remember that person A did OK in phase II, but very well in phase III and did not make DG. While person B did well in phase II and good in phase III and got DG instead. I did not look at all of the MASS scores obviously, but from talking to these classmates about checkrides etc. it seemed like they used phase II stuff.