General waiver information

Guest ColMustard

I don't know the answers to those questions.  I've actually never seen a waiver from MEPS.  In my experience, MEPS just does their thing and then Big Blue decides whether to send you on to compete the FC I.  In regards to the FC I, nothing is done ahead of time as far as waivers go.  The folks at Wright-Patt will review your case and decide if it makes sense to bring you.  If it does, then any required waivers get processed after your eval.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all, reviving this post for a waiver question. I'm 33, planning to apply to AFR / ANG UPT positions, and will need an age waiver as I understand it. When in the process does an age waiver come into play, and who initiates it? Do I need to get one before applying to a unit? Or does it only come into play after (if) I am accepted by a unit, and then they initiate it for me? Any clarification would be much appreciated.  

20 minutes ago, xwingexplorer said:

Hi all, reviving this post for a waiver question. I'm 33, planning to apply to AFR / ANG UPT positions, and will need an age waiver as I understand it. When in the process does an age waiver come into play, and who initiates it? Do I need to get one before applying to a unit? Or does it only come into play after (if) I am accepted by a unit, and then they initiate it for me? Any clarification would be much appreciated.  

You will work with the unit that hires you and a recruiter to navigate the lengthy age waiver gauntlet.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know how long it generally takes for a waiver to clear AETC after FC1?  A waiver not related to height (which I've heard that one takes 3-4 months)? The docs at Wright-Patt were saying I should know in the normal period (30-60 days), but just wanted to hear general timelines for folks. 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, MFlyer99 said:

Does anyone know how long it generally takes for a waiver to clear AETC after FC1?  A waiver not related to height (which I've heard that one takes 3-4 months)? The docs at Wright-Patt were saying I should know in the normal period (30-60 days), but just wanted to hear general timelines for folks. 

Thanks. 

I had an eye waiver that was approved in under 30 days last summer.

Hoping to get someone to chime in here...

Background: I've been a CSO for the AF for 10 years now (last two-ish years for the ANG) flying on an FC1A with an indefinite PRK waiver. Diagnosed with Compartment Syndrome about six years ago while on active duty and have had a PFT profile for the run ever since, but no issues or guff when I get my flight physical every year. Applied to an AFRC unit for UPT and they hired/are sponsoring me with that knowledge. As far as I understand it, my entire medical package went to the AFRC/SG office for review before it went to WPAFB. I was scheduled for my IFC1 to start this coming Monday. Got a call this morning that they found the compartment syndrome entry and are disqualifying me and cancelling my appointment. Additionally, I had applied for UPT back on AD a few years ago and got an "FC1 approved pending MFS" stamped with this same diagnosis in my record (age knocked me out of the running). Big question is: does this sound like something that could be waived, especially since the they give me a flight physical every year? 

Sorry if that was a little disjointed!

Edited by RobR

• 5 months later...
On 2/17/2020 at 5:13 PM, OnlyInCleveland said:

I had an eye waiver that was approved in under 30 days last summer.

did you get the waiver at FCI or after FCI?

Corona drew out the decision on my FCI, and I'm currently working on an eye waiver to submit back to either USAFSAM or AETC. I'm unfamiliar with how the post-FCI waiver process works, and my wing, while sponsoring me through all of this, is saying that this is 'uncharted territory' for them.

Edited by snappingflyer

On 8/6/2020 at 11:39 PM, snappingflyer said:

did you get the waiver at FCI or after FCI?

Corona drew out the decision on my FCI, and I'm currently working on an eye waiver to submit back to either USAFSAM or AETC. I'm unfamiliar with how the post-FCI waiver process works, and my wing, while sponsoring me through all of this, is saying that this is 'uncharted territory' for them.

It was submitted during my FC1 by the optometrist.