Transfering/switching schools

Guest captnick

Guest captnick

I was wondering if the UPT selection board looks down on you if you transfer schools after your first year in college? I went to ERAU were i was on honor roll all year, but didnt like the flight program. Im now down at asu east still doing a flight major. Will this look bad on my application? And does the guard unit like it if you have a masters? Thanks

"Aviators are optimistic by nature" George

I second what drewpey said. I also attended ERAU for two years, and then transferred to a state university in the Midwest. I got a pilot slot and the government saved a little money on tuition.

Guest 92T0Jackal
Originally posted by CHS17:

ERAU ... the government saved a little money on tuition.

That would be an understatement...

To the original poster, all you should care about is if you are happy (and keeping the grades). Sounds like ASU is doing you fine - so keep it up down there.

• 1 month later...
Guest captnick

Ok guys I had a simple question. I went to Embry Riddle last years and got awesome grades. I left to go to ASU thinking that it was a better program and now I think what I ahd back at riddle was way better for my career and for my character. If I were to transfer back to riddle from ASU, would this look bad when submiting an application for a guard unit? My reasons for transfeering however are very valid but too much to type. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

"So do you prime this thing if its fuel injected?"

I wouldn't transfer back to ERAU. Having a degree from ERAU vs. ASU is NOT going to fundamentally re-shape your chances of getting into a Guard unit. ASU is cheaper, the quality of life is better, the academics are relatively easier, and you will get the same degree.

Even if you were job hunting for a civi job I would say it's not worth spending the extra cash for, and if the contention is that you're getting a degree because it's part of what's required to get a pilot slot in the Guard (which a degree is) then even more of a moot point. stay in ASU, you're fine. During my undergraduate years I did what many of my colleagues considered to be a downward transfer of schools, based on their Kool-Aid-drinking, US News and World Report rankings carrying myopia, and I got a pilot slot anyways and the name of the colleges I attended probably contributed the least to getting accepted. If the unit is local to the area you're going to school at, it may have some significance because you might have local folks who went there, otherwise it's a wash. Stay at ASU.

College Rankings are a racket, if high school students were better served by their parents and mentors at that level they would stop feeding on the lie that a degree from a perceived higher ranked school naturally flows into "making it". It doesn't. Your goal should be to get the degree in the shortest amount of time possible, maximize the GPA (easier schools happen to afford ya that too), and minimize the debt load right off college. That's your goal and in all 3 counts ASU would put you ahead. My $0.85

[ 02. December 2006, 09:22: Message edited by: hindsight2020 ]

Guest captnick

Ok, yeah, all explain this situation more in depth. When I transfered to ASU I was told all of my math and physics would transfer. This is about 12 credits of calc and physics. So later down the road I get a call and its the same advisor saying sorry you didnt get these credits actually I missed advised you. So basically what it comes down to is that do I graduate a semester late and repeat all the same crap or go back to riddle and be ahead of the game and kick some butt. Because my grades were good at riddle and I really dont think ASU is all that cool and quite honest I had more fun at riddle. So thats the big reason why I want to go back because I dont want all that hard work to go down the toilet along with my parents money. Is this a valid reason to go back?

Assuming you're a resident of AZ I venture to say that it will still cost you more to go back to ERAU, hence the argument about wasting your parents' money goes out the window. Hell, my take is that you ARE wasting your parents money by going to ERAU, for the reasons I've already highlighted in my previous post.

Now, the rest of your reasons are of a very personal nature and can't be weighted objectively. Personally, I don't know exactly what "I really don't think ASU is all that cool and quite honest I had more fun at riddle" means, but most people who know anything about the differences between private and public universities, small and large colleges, and have worked on both sides of the classroom (yours truly) would usually raise the BS flag about that one. I went to southern and midwestern schools, but had friends at ASU, and it really takes a social cripple to not have "fun" at ASU. But like I said, those are intangibles that cannot be objectively quantified. Who knows, some people like going to school in more homogenous (or was it hegemonized? LOL..sorry couldn't resist) demographical environment, different strokes for different folks.

Regarding the transfer of credits, yeah it sucks, but it's not uncommon. Sometimes it's not that the credits don't transfer, it's that they don't transfer into the major for graduation purposes; same result but it's a distinction worth mentioning. My take on it is just like I did with my repeated courses: easy A's my man, particularly going from ERAU to ASU. You weren't having problems with your grades to begin with, so it shouldn't be a problem, go chase some poon since you won't have to go to class as often

All that aside, I think you're putting wayyyy too much emphasis on how the college tab on your resume will affect your Guard chances. You can transfer 3 more times (provided your GPA doesn't get affected) and all it would transpire out of it is more stuff to bullshit about in the interview. That's it. It doesn't go into a magical secret algorithm that deducts points for number of colleges attended and partially weights on college rankings LOL. I used to be all about racking up my college profile and freggin' 2 degrees later (including a MS) I was still getting f#ck you letters. It's all about timing, luck and chemistry with the unit members that will be making the decision process. You already know my advice, but somebody who needs arm-twisting to pick ASU OVER ERAU probably has their mind made up. Good luck on whatever you do.

[ 03. December 2006, 07:00: Message edited by: hindsight2020 ]

What degree do what from ERAU? If its anything other than pilot/business, look elsewhere, because the AE/EP degrees are hardcore math/physics.

You degree doesn't matter to the Air Force, nor does the school you came from. Stick and rudder skills can be taught anywhere, by anyone (ie the USAF). However, the flight program had other benefits (on the classroom side).

And its ungodly expensive.

There are plenty of benefits of going to riddle, but it does not mean that riddle produces better pilots than anywhere else. You can learn to fly just as well anywhere else for half the price. Skoal, just do what makes you happy.

• 2 years later...

Well, I can't really talk about the process, but I can talk about the issues that one of my friends encountered when he transfered.

First of all, this guy is top notch. Good grades, great PT scores, and the such. He transfered as a Junior and was thrown into the supply shop. When it came time for rated boards, it was obvious he wasn't going to get a pilot slot, because all he had done was run the supply shop. The Commander had no clue what kind of person he was.

Well he ended up getting a Nav slot and then he was given the MSG. The dude rocked it like no one else before and then was begged by the CoC to take the position of Vice WG/CC to keep things running. He shot up in class ranking from around 25 to 3 in a period of 3 semesters. Fortunately due to some shrewed drug deals, our CC got him bumped up to strike nav, but everyone in the class realized that he was given the short stick due to his transfer.

Long story, but hopefully you get the point. Not saying this will happen to you or anyone else for that matter, but it happened to him and he was a hell of a guy. But I understand the need to go some place where you are happy and where you want to be.

Guest AirForceZip
I'm on a Type 1 scholarship, but I'm thinking about transferring schools (the other school I have in mind also has an AFROTC det on campus). Keeping the same major though (engineering). Has anyone done this or know anything about the process?

It shouldn't be a big deal depending on how far into the program you are. You just need to talk to your NCOs. I know there is a lot of paper work that needs to be done, and then Headquarters will need to approve it; not sure how long that takes though.