Dobbins info

Guest jackhammer130

I live really close to Dobbins. With Kennesaw State just down the road, we have a shit ton of nice places to live around here. For the most part, you can find prices in whatever range you want. I personally recommend any of the apartments within a 5 mile radius of KSU. They all have really nice facilities and tons of scenery (if you know what I mean).

[ 30. September 2005, 07:03: Message edited by: c17wannabe ]

Originally posted by duece123:

Just wait until you get a chance to go downtown to buckhead/midtown……Eye candy for days!!! ATL WHAT!!!

Problem is, you'll miss half of it because you'll be constantly looking over your back making sure some NFL linebacker or rap mogul isn't about to "pop a cap in yo ass." But if you're into that stuff, check out Steweart Ave. (I think. Correct me, please, if anyone knows what I'm talking about.)

If you're not a big city mouse, I say live OTP (outside the perimeter) for location. Don't know of any specific places, though. Isn't west Cobb still kind of rural and quiet?

Sleepy, you are right about Stewart Ave. Don't go there unless you value getiing shot in the face and stabbed with a hypodermic needle. West Cobb is now run-down and largely populated by immigrants. I live in East Cobb, and it is perfect out here. It's quiet, safe, friendly, and close to anything you want.

Guest 130Nav

I stayed at Dobbins last year for FTU and my entire class stayed at Caswyck Parkside. Its on Cobb Pkwy so it was convenient to the base and they were really nice furnished apts. We worked the deal thru TP Corporate lodging. Also if you are a runner, it is very close to Kennesaw park so you can walk the mountain and there are several trails that you can run there.

The only thing you have to be careful of is that lodging does not give you a non-availablity slip. They will give you a contract for quarters slip to be used at the Comfort Inn or one of the other hotels. You need to check w/ your finance people to make sure they dont have a problem w/ you staying somewhere else.

Caswyck parkside

[ 04. October 2005, 10:09: Message edited by: 130Nav ]

Well, having done my stint at GATECH a couple moons ago I'm familiar with the ATL scence. And c17 is probably right, but that statistic has as much to do with Hispanics moving into West Cobb as it has to do with whites moving OUT of W Cobb because the hispanics are moving in. Keep the argument balanced. The proportion looks shocking but has a context. Care for MARTA getting b!tched out back in '02 because the 'people' of Alpharetta didn't like the idea of public transit reaching their pristine little heaven? And you know how people spell out MARTA down there. How about Buford Hwy... Chambodia *cough* I mean Chamblee......Apartheid anyone?

Personally, I love ATL, I think going to 130 PIQ at Dobbins would beat the Rock every day and twice on Sunday. And as for the race thing, yeah I've gotten over that years ago, sh%t I still think it's not that bad in ATL. I transferred out of GT in the Summer of '01 and finished at UA (sorry c17, ATL rules and I miss it, too bad GT sucks, but I still read most of your posts favorably so no hard feelings :D ), and now that was a place nobody cared to walk on eggshells. It made ATL look like flippin' San Fransisco LOL. And I agree, the poster should have gone receive-mode only for a while; brings me back to my first couple of online beatings I took around here :D

Toro makes an excellent point, you find sh%t everywhere, learn to manuever. Even in Tuscaloosa I managed to make friends and have a hell of a crazy good time, it's all about context. Once you know how people roll down there (no pun intended to my Crimson brethren) it's easier to sidestep the sh%t. This country is in socio-political denial, BIG TIME, but don't let that deter ya from having a good time, ATL or outside of ATL.

[ 05. October 2005, 12:52: Message edited by: MDINC ]

• 3 months later...
Guest doorknob

I'm am about 2 weeks away from getting my Nav wings. I'm in the Guard and was just informed that I'll be getting my C-130 training in Dobbins, GA. The buzz around Nav school is Dobbins is more laid back than Little Rock, because the Guard/Reserves run the school at Dobbins. It has taken every ounce my patience dealing with the "standard harrassment package" at Randolph. I just wanted to know if anybody out there could offer any insite. I don't think I can take 4 more months of being graded on how well I can master ancient technology or how well I color between the lines: **** you, **** your ****ed up fuel charts, **** the log, and **** a True Airspeed check, I'm out of here *****es!

Guest flintstone

Yeah,

They tend to harass guard guys at Randolph when I went. They didnt like my laidback attitude. Don't worry, Dobbins is run by reservists for reservists. Enjoy!

Doorknob

If you are going to be a Herc NAV (not CSO) you better get used to fuel charts, log, TAS CHECK, and DEV Check. (Until they release the new V3) Take it from me you want to go to Little Rock. They are the undisputed C-130 experts. No where in the world can you get the training you get at Little Rock. (Sauheaver and Stone are the Best) Dobbins isn't as laid back as you might expect. They still do their fair share of FEBing dudes. Plus one day you will go to IN school, a basic familiarity with the LRF local area goes a long way. Also you will be treated like a stepchild since non of the Lockheed Martin instructors will recoginze you. Those guys remember everyone, and I mean everyone who has come through that school. They keep tabs on you too. Anyway that is just my humble opinion . Good Luck with your training.

Originally posted by doorknob:

It has taken every ounce my patience dealing with the "standard harrassment package" at Randolph.

I would avoid UPT in the future if you have that much heartburn from Randolph's program.

FWIW, Dobbins will be good duty. ATL is a great place to visit/party.

Guest jackhammer130

Doorknob, I am currently down at Dobbins as we speak going through intial co-pilot training. One simple word comes to mind "Awesome" you will get a lot of hands on with the Lockheed guys while in academics and sim phase, since their will be only you and one other Nav in your class. Our Pilot class has only 5 of us, and we are all guard and reserve. Once you hit the flight line it will be you and your instructor while you go fly not you, not two other navs and 6 co-pilots. Everytime I go into fly I feel like I am back at respective guard unit, so yes it is real laid back. I can't speak on behalf of Little Rock, however I count my blessing everyday that I am here. ATL is Saaaweat. Hope that helps.

Jackhammer

Take it from me you want to go to Little Rock. They are the undisputed C-130 experts. No where in the world can you get the training you get at Little Rock.
Dobbins has a major advantage for you over Little Rock. 3 out of the 7 Lockheed Navs are current flyers in the Guard and Reserve, 2 of them have deployed to OEF/OIF. 2 of them fly with the Dobbins FTU as flightline instructors. There are also 4 Lockheed Instructor pilots currently in the Guard and Reserve. No where in the world can you get the training you get at Dobbins!!! :D

Yes the Logwork is still alive and well. You will be expected to accomplish TAS checks, DR's Fuel plans and manual flight plans. Warm up your Whiz Wheel before you get here.

Cheers

[ 06. January 2006, 13:38: Message edited by: H2Nav ]

Guest 130Nav

I think that you are very lucky to be going to Dobbins. The logwork will be the same for a nav whether it is Dobbins or Little Rock...but I totally agree with jackhammer. It was a great program and I have since been back to Nav refresher there and also thought that was a great experience. It is more of a big boy program than Little Rock, there is a more laid back attitude but that is true for all of the Guard and Reserves. You make the decision as to whether or not you want to buckle down and be a great nav or goof off and be a mediocre slacker nav.

"You make the decision as to whether or not you want to buckle down and be a great nav or goof off and be a mediocre slacker nav."

Exactly, Vol 3 is the same at Little Rock as it is HERE. It is up to you to read and understand it. The instructors here are motivated to help Navs through the program. In reference to the FEB comment above. I cant recall a Pilot or

nav who was removed from the program.

So here's your advice. The C-130 Nav suite on the H2 is old technology, YOU as the Nav are the part that makes it all work. A good Nav makes the system work for the crew. A slacker lets the system "do it's thing." If you are coming to the FTU you are way too young to become complacent. So that being said, show up sharp, professional and ready to learn.

H2Nav

Guest FTUguru

Doorknob...congrats on getting Dobbins.

For the record, there have been NO...as in Nil, Notta, ZERO...FEBs at Dobbins in the short history of the school. STR1CK is wrong in suggesting that Dobbins has had any FEBs.

He also said "No where in the world can you get the training you get at Little Rock". That is true. Just as it's true for Dobbins. He is also right that we arent as laid back as you might think, but probably much more so than LRAFB. See you soon. You can check the ETCA webpages for reporting instructions and contact info for the school. Feel free to email me through the board if you need any info that you cant find. And Dobbins is run by the Reserves. The Guard runs the Instructor school at LRAFB.

• 1 year later...
Guest evil load

I dont know if anybody does get to go to Dobbins right out of UPT. All of our new guys (C130H AFRC) went/ are going through LRAFB for initial. The only guys from our squadron who went to Dobbins were going through AC school or FE school. If you are going to a J model, plan on the Rock. Hope that helps.

Guest Ftrooper91

My advice is to wait till you get closer to UPT grad date maybe 3 months or less out, and if you are in or within a month of the fiscal year you will enter PIQ, your Unit training folks should be able to tell you. There's so much volatility right now no one knows what it will look like in 1.5 to 2 years and what the slots look like. There's pluses and minuses to both, most AFRC guys prefer Dobbins but there are some benefits to going to the Rock. Atlanta is a blast though....Be sure to let them know your preferences and if they can get you one vs the other most of the time they'll try. It never hurts to ask. We have about 50/50 splits for pilots on Dobbins vs the Rock. Atlanta is a lot of fun so that'd be my preference.

Yeah I already filed the 101 form or whatever and let most people know that Id like to go there. I know its a long way off but my girl friend will be in chiropractor school in marieatta so thats why Id like to go there. Also Ive driven through little rock a few times. its a fine town. i guess. Also we have the H model 130 and i guess dobbins trains on those so maybe that would be good due to less transition training. anyway thanks

Guest Airmail
Yeah I already filed the 101 form or whatever and let most people know that Id like to go there. I know its a long way off but my girl friend will be in chiropractor school in marieatta so thats why Id like to go there. Also Ive driven through little rock a few times. its a fine town. i guess. Also we have the H model 130 and i guess dobbins trains on those so maybe that would be good due to less transition training. anyway thanks

Does anyone out there have current intel on PIQ at Dobbins? I've read the gouge on the main BaseOps site, but its from '04.

Just wondering about the average length of training, where to live, etc.

Thanks!!

Only intel I have is that you don't need anything....you can get all the gouge you need once you get there, and the total awesomeness of not dealing with all the BS that the "C-130 Center of Excellence" at LRAFB is worth any details like where to live....there are nice suite style hotels that most folks live in... You will want training there to last forever, or so I have heard. It could all be lies, but the stories I have heard is nothing short of a great experience.

Do what you can to get there!

Guest ACJ7464
Does anyone out there have current intel on PIQ at Dobbins? I've read the gouge on the main BaseOps site, but its from '04.

Just wondering about the average length of training, where to live, etc.

Thanks!!

I can verify they have the exact same syllabus, just less hoop jumping. The course is taking approx. 4 months versus the 6 months at LRAFB. PM me and I can get you in contact with several current PIQ students at Dobbins. Oh how I wish I was in GA.

I just got done with initial qual at dobbins last month. The gouge on the website is pretty good except that you will now be doing all phase 2 and 3 as co-pilot. I can give you a basic rundown with what you need to know and update the gouge.

As far as getting Dobbins, you have a better shot if you’re a reservist that fly’s H2’s or H3’s. I flew E models and went (pure luck). Dobbins is the best deal out there concerning any AETC school in the country, great per-diem, great location and great instructors. There were only 2 other studs in my class, but the class size usually averages 6. Dobbins is much more streamlined than Little rock with their syllabus, that’s why you only work 3 half days a week.

The first couple of months our academics at Lockheed. They will issue you a laptop so you can do your CBT’s at home. You do have some classroom instruction, but mostly CBT’s. Expect to work approx 3-4 days a week in the academic phase. Phase 1 is “pro phase” (landings, instrument work, basic navigation emergencies), you will learn systems first and practice emergencies in the Flight Training Device (a sim that doesn’t move or have visual). They give you plenty of time to run through checklists, so you can learn were all the switches are. You will work with the engineer on your first phase diagnosing emergencies. A big emphasis item is 3 engine go’s make sure you know each step from the dash-1 and talk through them as you are performing them in the plane. Mid-way through phase one you will have your from 8 EPE in the FTD, which is basic system emergencies, and make sure you know told definition and weather mins. You will get in the sim for the rest of phase 1 and work on landings and instruments. At the end of phase 1 an instructor will come over from the flightline and evaluate your flying to make sure your ready for the flight line.

Dobbins is different than little rock because your do phase 1,2 and 3 at Lockheed before you go to the flight line. After pro phase you’ll do phase 2 and 3 which consist of SKE formation, NVG, Airland, Low level as CO-PILOT. You will work with the navigator in this phase and focus on the tactical mission and your duties.

After phase 3 you’ll hit the flight line and pacing will pick up. Pro phase consist of 4 ground training sessions and approx 4 flights and a form 8 checkride. Your first flight in the plane will be in the right seat for proficiency landings then you’ll move to the left seat and learn how to land the plane and run the crew. After your check ride you’ll transition into phase 2 and 3. Tac phase consist of 8 flight and a checkride. This phase consists of mainly night NVG and Airland operations as a co-pilot.

Once you hit the flightline, expect to fly 3 days a week and you’ll have ground training the days you aren’t flying. This phase will go fast.

Atlanta is great whether you’re single or bringing a family. You’ll have plenty of days off to visit every part of Atlanta and Georgia. There are several federal parks if you enjoy hiking and the outdoors and many other endless indoor activities. The night life is great! Atlanta is a very trendy spot with tons of young people.

As far as living, you will report to the dobbin’s inn and they will give you a contract quarters slip. I highly highly urge staying at the residence inn. This is the best deal by far. They just finished remodeling and they all have new beds and furniture. You will have a free hot breakfast every morning and dinner and free beer 4 nights a week. You also have a full kitchen if you want to cook yourself. The staff is super friendly and will cater to your every need. They upgraded me to a penthouse room for the same rate. It’s so nice having a maid clean your room daily and having a nice bed to sleep on at night. Dobbins does not have a mess hall, so you will get full per-diem for Atlanta.

Unlike the gouge, I would not suggest getting a corporate apartment. They make you sign a lease and charge late fees if you do not pay on the first day. Some previous studs had trouble getting out of their lease that finished early and the D.O. had to get involved with the corporate apartment company. Not to mention your finance office may not even approve a corporate apartment, because dobbins will NOT give you a non-availability slip - only contract quarters. Some dudes had to pay for their whole stay. Just stay at the residence inn and it will make everyone’s life easier including yours. This is a nice place.

As far as gouge, everything you will need to know will be “taught” to you. Just know what you’re told to know and you’ll do fine. Only 1 dude in the entire history of dobbins school has not made it through, and that guy went to Little Rock and passed.

Remember this base is a RESERVE base run by RESERVISTS most of the instructors fly for a living and come in to have fun. No mandatory PT or any other Active Duty bull shit. It was a great time and I’ll miss it. It’s a gentlemen’s course and everyone is here to help you pass, unlike UPT.

If you have any other questions just ask.