What are my chances, airline to ANG

Hey guys, so I’m 28 years old and currently a first officer at a regional airline. I’ve always wanted to join the Air Force/ANG and was recently on a flight where I met a pilot in the ANG. I think I might make the leap but I’m really nervous about the whole process and have a few questions:

1. I graduated college 6 years ago now and haven’t been in any books, what is the AFOQT like and how hard do I need to study? 

2. What is the pay like throughout the entire training process? I’m thinking I would take a pay cut to do this.

3. The pilot I met flew the C-5 and he explained it wasn’t deployable which was great however if I chose a different aircraft (fighters/helo) what is life like on that side.

4. Last but not least is it worth it? I could probably make it to a major airline or a low cost carrier in the next 2 years but if I do this I’d have to put all that on hold and potentially lose that chance. 

Any insight and information would be greatly appreciated, thanks. 

I can answer as best as possible. Just got picked up recently and my insight is pretty fresh through the process, but I am not a military pilot yet.

1. AFOQT is a breeze. Questions aren’t that difficult and are really more time-based than difficult; questions are a lot more like the SAT. Study a few AFOQT prep guides and be fast at answering the right question (obviously).

2. Pay can be found online; when you’re in OTS it’ll be at an E-5 pay scale (not including your BAH/BAS - if applicable). Thereafter it’ll be O-1 pay until you promote; again, information you can find online.

3. Not sure what he may have meant by “wasn’t deployable”. My assumption (again I’m not a pilot yet), is all units and their respective airframes can be deployed, so best expect to deploy; it comes with the territory of being in the military.

4. My answer, yes! But that’s because I’ve always wanted to serve my country and be a military aviator. If you have ambitions to be an airline pilot and are considering this solely as a “gig on the side”, then do yourself a favor and don’t bother. Not to sound like a douche, but understand that coming into this is a huge commitment and if getting into the majors is your goal, then ride it out. If you want to serve your country, receive the best aviation training on the planet and be part of a community of studs who want to do the same, then go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

A couple of things to tack on as an applicant (so take what I say with a grain of salt, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

3) If you want fighters you need to get moving quickly. The age limit was recently upped to 33 but due to high demand for slots and how difficult flying fighters is units can afford to be more picky and target younger guys. Doesn't mean it can't happen at or after 30 it's just much less likely than, for example, a well qualified 23 year old.

4) Expanding on the not just a "gig on the side" statement; even as a traditional guardsman you'll have to put your life and your career aside for 2-4 years of full time training. If your career or life situation won't allow that then you have to make a tough call, one has to give. 

I'm not trying to discourage, everyone wins the more people are interested and push through the process, just trying to give a little context. If you need help with AFOQT/TBAS stuff feel free to DM me.

my $0.02:

1. Go to Amazon and buy a study book. Focus on the 4 pilot sections. You should be just fine since your already a flyer. There are plenty of threads on this site to read up on the AFOQT and TBAS.

2. It will be a pay cut. Not sure how much, but if you are about to make the jump to the majors, you are probably about to star making bank. Don't let that discourage you. Its a demanding and difficult lifestyle to pursue. At times it will feel like you are having to juggle two full times jobs. Graduating UPT and your advance aircraft will only the begin (your license to learn). You'll have seasoning and multiple training missions before you feel conformable with just flying military minimums and shifting your focusing to your full time airline job. It is the best of both worlds but at times you will love it and hate it. I can't say much about how demanding the fighter lifestyle is or will be. The above is just what I have seen from the bros in the tanker community. 

On a side note, if you could end up with your domicile being at the same location as your unit, you could potentially make lots more $$$ when its all said and done. 

3. Not sure about "not-deployable". From what I hear, FRED does break alot... so maybe thats what he meant. All communities and squadrons have different optempos. Plenty of info on this site about lifestyle, pond crossings and AOR trips. check them all out. 

4. The hiring process takes about 2 years (on average... some units are faster than others). Would hate to see you make it to the majors only to ask to leave for 2-3 years. Its a tough decision. Its not a rose garden on this side but at times it will be rewarding along with all the other cool stuff of flying bad ass aircraft and what not. Drinking beers all over the world will be fun as well. 

Good luck. Cheers

21 hours ago, Maverick2019 said:

3. The pilot I met flew the C-5 and he explained it wasn’t deployable which was great however if I chose a different aircraft (fighters/helo) what is life like on that side.

Maybe he's saying that you don't deploy to combat zones/hazardous areas? AFAIK, if you deploy with the C-5, you're based at Ramstein or something like that to move cargo to/from said combat zones/hazardous areas. Maybe those gigs are not actually deployments on paper, I really do not know.