Jump to content
TotableMink

Applying to Reserve/ Guard Units before leaving for OTS (Active)

Recommended Posts

Is it possible to get selected and subsequently switch to a reserve or guard unit before you leave for OTS if you get an active duty pilot slot? Background info, I have been applying to guard and reserve jobs for about 2 years now and while that is definitely my preference, I would like to get in the air as soon as possible so now I am considering going active. My recruiter informed me that its about a 1.5 -2 year wait to start training even for active. So I was wondering if I should still apply to units in the meantime while I am waiting for things to happen on the active side of things, or if doing so would burn any bridges. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, TotableMink said:

Is it possible to get selected and subsequently switch to a reserve or guard unit before you leave for OTS if you get an active duty pilot slot? Background info, I have been applying to guard and reserve jobs for about 2 years now and while that is definitely my preference, I would like to get in the air as soon as possible so now I am considering going active. My recruiter informed me that its about a 1.5 -2 year wait to start training even for active. So I was wondering if I should still apply to units in the meantime while I am waiting for things to happen on the active side of things, or if doing so would burn any bridges. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

You can apply for AD/guard/reserve simultaneously. The caveat is that only one component can "own" your MEPS records at a time. So if you get hired by a guard/reserve unit, you may have to submit a "notice of declination" or something similar to your AD recruiter. It can then take them quite some time to release your paperwork to another component.

My suggestion would be to get your application rolling with the AD rated board (if you haven't already) while you continue to search for a guard/reserve unit. If you land an interview, just mention that you're also exploring the AD route. It's no big deal and will probably bode well for you, it's an indicator that you're dedicated.

EDIT: I should add that if you get apply for, receive, and subsequently decline an offer from an AD rated board, you will not be considered again for another AD rated board. 

Edited by GDAL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GDAL said:

You can apply for AD/guard/reserve simultaneously. The caveat is that only one component can "own" your MEPS records at a time. So if you get hired by a guard/reserve unit, you may have to submit a "notice of declination" or something similar to your AD recruiter. It can then take them quite some time to release your paperwork to another component.

My suggestion would be to get your application rolling with the AD rated board (if you haven't already) while you continue to search for a guard/reserve unit. If you land an interview, just mention that you're also exploring the AD route. It's no big deal and will probably bode well for you, it's an indicator that you're dedicated.

EDIT: I should add that if you get apply for, receive, and subsequently decline an offer from an AD rated board, you will not be considered again for another AD rated board. 

Thanks for the quick response, just to clarify, if i accepted an active slot, and then later accepted a reserve\ guard spot, that is when the notice of declination and AD bridge burning would come into play?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TotableMink said:

Thanks for the quick response, just to clarify, if i accepted an active slot, and then later accepted a reserve\ guard spot, that is when the notice of declination and AD bridge burning would come into play?

Correct.

BTW...I was one month away from my AD OTS date when I got picked up by my unit, so you can definitely do what you are asking about.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sit On Acorns said:

Correct.

BTW...I was one month away from my AD OTS date when I got picked up by my unit, so you can definitely do what you are asking about.

Sounds like my advice was incorrect as I assume you had already sworn in and done your FCI to get that far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GDAL said:

Sounds like my advice was incorrect as I assume you had already sworn in and done your FCI to get that far.

I don't see anything in your post that is incorrect.

Yes, I had everything complete except for the MFS. Just had to transfer everything over after declining. It was a pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Sit On Acorns said:

I don't see anything in your post that is incorrect.

Yes, I had everything complete except for the MFS. Just had to transfer everything over after declining. It was a pain.

I must have removed the sentence stating it would be more difficult to transfer components after swearing it.

For reference, how long did it take for all your paperwork to transfer over? My case happened relatively quickly (3 weeks), but I had not sworn in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as an explanation, however I caveat it with this is via my experience and word of mouth NOT actual regulations, you "swear in" twice on the AD path. The first one is where you swear into Inactive Ready Reserve and into the Delayed Entry Program. Declining from this status is completely painless and will cause near zero repercussions in your life for anything, except for if you try to go AD again. The second swear in is approximately a week before OTS which is the more permanent swear in that will make things much more tricky if you try to back out or switch to something else (I don't know much more details about this one since I didn't get that far).

I was in IRR/DEP status when I made the switch, it was relatively painless. For the paperwork, I'm probably not the best test case. MEPS lost my physical and it took 3 months to recover it; it was a comedy of errors. Everything else had been completed by then. I think all the other paperwork was done and transferred within a month.

Edited by Sit On Acorns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sit On Acorns said:

For the paperwork, I'm probably not the best test case. MEPS lost my physical and it took 3 months to recover it; it was a comedy of errors

Sounds like the typical case 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2018 at 7:01 AM, GDAL said:

You can apply for AD/guard/reserve simultaneously. The caveat is that only one component can "own" your MEPS records at a time. So if you get hired by a guard/reserve unit, you may have to submit a "notice of declination" or something similar to your AD recruiter. It can then take them quite some time to release your paperwork to another component.

My suggestion would be to get your application rolling with the AD rated board (if you haven't already) while you continue to search for a guard/reserve unit. If you land an interview, just mention that you're also exploring the AD route. It's no big deal and will probably bode well for you, it's an indicator that you're dedicated.

EDIT: I should add that if you get apply for, receive, and subsequently decline an offer from an AD rated board, you will not be considered again for another AD rated board. 

Do you know when the UPT board will be? I know there's one out for AD officers only, is there one for enlisted/civ people that i'm missing?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×