Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WannaBePilot

Leaving family behind for UPT?

We had our 1st kid during UPT and I did well enough to get something I wanted to fly.  There was a guy with a family that wasn't there with him at UPT - struggled and almost didn't make it.  Another guy with about to be new wife who didn't move too, he washed out.  Our class had lots of married guys and even with kids.  Staying together is best.  Always.  So, either do it together or not at all.  And we had plenty of guard guys in my class too; all but 1 were married, and all brought their ladies. 

Out

Posted (edited)

This is a great thread. I also concur with most folks on this thread. As an active duty Marine, I had my fair share of deployments, exercises, and PMEs that required me to be away from my family. All in all, I was away for a total of 1.5 years out of the 6 years I served in the Corps. My best advice to all future UPT students with family is "stick with your family" because the chance of you being away in the near future is fairly high. So why not maximize the opportunity to spend time with your family when you have the option to do so? However, I completely understand that every situation is unique and not the same. For what it's worth, I will be going through UPT with an 11 year-old, a 6 year-old, and a newborn as a 31 year-old-crusty-Marine-Captain. And yes, I absolutely planned on attending UPT with a "Fire Team +"...thanks to my lack of self control :banghead:

Edited by Jetpower