Collings Foundation

Young Crow

Anyone have any experience working with the Collings Foundation? Specifically in coordinating with them for appearances at military airshows or functions.

The 450th BG is having their last reunion, and I was thinking about how great it would be for these guys to have one of their planes here for the reunion. Our WG/CC mentioned pulling out all the stops to host the 450th Reunion, but I imagine it'd be difficult, not to mention of questionable legality, to pay Collings the $4000/hr to operate their B-24.

I'm sure it is a pipe dream, but I'd love to hear any suggestions that could lead to a B-24 sitting on the ramp in October.

Edited by Young Crow

Anyone have any experience working with the Collings Foundation? Specifically in coordinating with them for appearances at military airshows or functions.

The 450th BG is having their last reunion, and I was thinking about how great it would be for these guys to have one of their planes here for the reunion. Our WG/CC mentioned pulling out all the stops to host the 450th Reunion, but I imagine it'd be difficult, not to mention of questionable legality, to pay Collings the $4000/hr to operate their B-24.

I'm sure it is a pipe dream, but I'd love to hear any suggestions that could lead to a B-24 sitting on the ramp in October.

Go talk to your Contracting Squadron. But basically what you need to do is:

1. Find three other companies that can provide the same or similar service and get "pricing info".

2. Then formulate a government estimate of what you think it's going to cost and provide that info to your Resource Advisor (RA) so they can process a Purchase Request (PR) to the Contracting squadron.(Your WG/CC has to agree to provide the funds for it obviously.)

3. The Contracting Squadron will then help you write up a Statement of work (SOW) or Performance Work Statement (PWS) for the service you want provided for your event.

4. Once the PWS or SOW is written and approved and Contracting has a certified PR from finance (meaning funds) then they will issue out a solicitation via Fed Biz ops requesting quotes from Collins and other companies like it.

FYI Contracting should know this but make sure you and them both read through the Air Show AFI 10-1004 specifically about the War-bird status of the Aircraft. And the process will take usually 3 to 8 weeks to get someone contracted.

Mt airport hosted the Collings Foundation for two years, they flew in a B-24, B-25, and B-17 under the "Wings of Freedom" tour. The airport had to provide rooms, transportation and fuel/oil. The Collings Foundation did not charge an appearance fee in lieu of being able to provide rides; they advertised the event in the local media and were able to provide enough rides to cover any appearance fee. This was at a civilian airport so I do know if rides are possible at an Air Force Base. The organization was good to work with an did not cause any problems.

This was at a civilian airport so I do know if rides are possible at an Air Force Base.

As idiotic as it is, rides are not possible on a USAF base.

Navy base,... well that's a different story.