TBAS Information

Guest Viperfixer

Guest Viperfixer

So I was just about to take my BAT test when I came across this from the AETC PCSM site:

UPDATE 24 Feb 2006

"PCSM scores generated using the TBAS test will be used for Pilot Selection Boards scheduled after 1 Oct 06. If an applicant is meeting a board before 1 Oct 06 they will need to take the current BAT test to receive a PCSM score. If an applicant is meeting a board after 1 Oct 06 they should wait to take the TBAS test to receive a PCSM score. After 1 Oct 06 PCSM scores computed using the BAT test will no longer be valid and candidates must take the TBAS test to have a PCSM score."

-If I am reading this correctly (which I may not) that means any cadet or anyone who has a PCSM and is looking for a rated slot for next years boards (Feb 07/ROTC) has to drop thier score and take the new test.

-this would sure suck for anyone who has an awesome PCSM but is not meeting a board until after 1 Oct 06 (many 200s)

-this is good news for anyone who has a low PCSM and has already taken it twice

-it appears that if ROTC cadets take the TBAS as soon as it becomes operational (14 Aug 06) they won't be able to retake in the event they blow it as the boards meet in Feb 07. (I know there are plenty out there who needed that second chance to improve thier PCSM)

-just some general observations, again, I could be reading this wrong, I'd be a little uneasy if I had, say, a 96 PCSM and had to drop it. :(

Guest AKROTC

Does anyone here have a PCSM less than 90? Everyone I've seen post in here is a 98, 99, 96. I had a freakin' 78, and that was with over 100 flight hours! lol. I made it through UPT just fine....pcsm is bs.

Uh....I sure hope this isn't correct. I am an AS200 with a 99 PCSM and would be f****** pissed if I lost that score. Care to post a link to the website with that info so I can run it by my cadre?

Guest kylejustin

The operational date is 1 OCT 06...the same date that IFS starts at Pueblo, CO. Coincidence, or part of new program?

This doesn't look very legit. datavise.net???? Not sure that I would necessarily worry about this unless it came from some sort of AIR FORCE webpage. Just a thought...

Guest dpiddycanfly

Are the BAT and TBAS scored like the AFOQT where you are basically ranked with everyone else that is taking it? If so, those of us who take the TBAS early on might actually have an advantage since no one will know what to expect. Just a guess though.

Guest Viperfixer

Yea they don't tell you anything about how they score the BAT, I'm sure the TBAS is similiar in that they don't tell you anything and you can't say anything

- the thing that tics me off is for us ROTC cadets wanted a rating slot next year. We can only take the TBAS once before the boards....just a one shot deal and thats that.

-there is a testing site 20 min from my place, i'm gonna take it as soon as it is up and running, if I can take it in, say, June of 06, then I can still take it again before February 07 if I f*** it up on the first go...

• 5 months later...

Not too sure about that. I just took the thing and honestly the only thing that really might help is good map reading skills and maybe a bunch of flight sim time. I did fine and I have neither however...

Guest ABrown

Try playing "San Andreas" and practice flying patterns in the planes in that game. I think there's a cessna, a 747, a plane that resembles a T-1, a couple of tail-draggers and a fighter plane. Then go beat King Hippo and Soda Popinski. Then play Microsoft Flight Simulator. From what all the TCO's I've spoken with have said, if you do that, you'll ace the TBAS and will be on your way to ENJJPT faster than you can say afterburner!

• 1 month later...
Guest McElheranL

I'm not sure how available it is but there is a "game" out there called ThinkFast by www.Brain.com . It was created by a couple of guys out of Australia to improve reaction times and memory. It goes off of the "brain is a muscle" theory. I've been playing with it in the hope that it will improve my score.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest F15AvionicsTech

It might sound childish but I have a similar question: What about arcade type "flight simulators" (I'm using the term 'flight simulator' EXTREMELY loosely) like Ace Combat etc. It seems like it would be good "practice" for the BAT due to the fact you use one joystick to control the aircraft and the other joystick to simutaneously look about and around the cockpit. Just curious if anything has been proven....

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, definitely sleep! I worked a midnight shift right before , waited 2hrs for MPF to open (too wired to nap) :confused: , then got delayed an hour b/c they couldn't figure out how to calibrate the joystick :mad: -- finally did it myself (so they slipped me a couple of extra points...j/k).

Anyway, chugged a coffee and a ham & cheese croissanwich and went at it

...have a healthy breakfast in the morning (skip the coffee) and show up ready to rock.
Right then.

Other than that, a few days before I dusted off MS Flt Sim '04 and flew several instrument approaches-- would recommend that vs. just flying around, better for multi-taksing... otherwise any other of the mentioned games are fine, too.

Heard one guy tried hopping on one foot while rubbing his stomach with one hand and tapping his head with the other... his 99 PCSM didn't mean 5hit when he tripped over the banister, fell 12' and broke his coccyx ... medical dq

Good luck, chin up!

-mh

• 1 month later...

I'm bringing this topic up realizing that we can't get into the TBAS in too much detail for fear of giving the details away:

"It is very important that you do not discuss the contents of the test with anyone other than the test administrator. If you do discuss the test with anyone else you will be held responsible for violating a legal regulation, Air Force Instruction 36-2605, Air Force Military Personnel Testing System. You will also be disqualified from consideration for Air Force pilot training."

I've always had decent hand eye coordination and have been decent at whatever sport I've participated in. The same goes for my experience in training for my PPL. I never had any problem with flying the airplane and seemed to pick up the concept of slips and being cross-controlled almost instantly and with no problem. Same goes for landings including short and soft field. I realize that a PPL is a "license to learn" in the scheme of pilot knowledge and ability, but how well you do at the basics in an actual airplane is probably better than the TBAS as an indicator. When you throw in the factor of muscle memory, I have doubt the TBAS in its entirety is a good indicator of pilot skills. I have a 98 pilot, 64 flying hours, and an 82 PCSM.

Does anyone else have concerns with the use of TBAS for testing hand-eye coordination for pilot? Is there a good person to raise these concerns to at AETC?

This whole topic may be moot since we cannot discuss the "contents of the test."

Don't mean to snap at you, but have you searched for the crapload of info regarding that topic on this site?

Anyway, I believe the TBAS is testing more than your ability to fly a 172 -- and the guys here who've gone through UPT will likely tell you that the "basics" in GA vs. UPT are not equal.

Check out TBAS Effect On PCSM or Best Video Game for TBAS for info along these lines.

Also, hop on one of the board forums, appropriate to whether your OTS/ROTC/AD, and throw up your stats... there's a running compilation to check the competition!

Best of luck!

-mh

EDIT: can't spell one

[ 24. December 2006, 16:14: Message edited by: madhatter ]

Guest wellington

Josh i hear ya on the whole TBAS thing, when i took the test i asked and F-16 pilot what he thought of the test, they brought pilots in who have had more then 6 years at the stick to test it out, and he said it was the hardest test that he has ever taken for flying. He did not to to bad with the score but he also has over 2000 hours so that helps, but i think there is something wrong with it, i say this because out of everyone i know who as there PPL or in any normal circumstances has better then avg hand eye coordination did not do to well so i would like to see what is going on with the TBAS. One of our NCO's and our PAS at our Det. is trying to call around to see if there is something wrong, You know first year out there might be some bugs

Bah... "I have 500,000 hours, a 99.99999 Pilot and my PCSM score is only an 83! The TBAS must be broken!" You think they had some hack just throw some shit together for the Air Force to test pilot candidates with? The TBAS has been in development for years and they've had thousands of hours testing and playing with it. The TBAS is fine. You just didn't do as well as you'd have liked. Wah. Retake it if you must.

Guest wellington

500,000 hours please pilots who have been flying there whole life don't even have that many hours give me a break, I'm just telling you what we are hearing down in FL you can think what you want.