Continuing education for spouses

Guest lovemyflyboy

Guest AFwife62406

I have one year of a BSN in nursing completed. This will be my 2nd Bachelor's degree, so I probably have about 2-2.5 years left of school, although I would like to get a minor in Spanish, so that might bump it up to 3 years.

My husband is going to start at Whiting next week and I have an opportunity to take a class or 2 at a state university in the spring semester. I'm just not sure if I should hold off and try to do all 3 years after he is done with pilot's training or if I should take some classes now. If I do take classes now, I probably won't be able to go back to school until Fall of 2008 because of his training and moving around for it.

Does anyone have any experience with transferring all over the place to finish a degree? Have you had problems with credits transferring or anything like that? The sooner I can get my nursing degree finished the better because I am SO sick of working lame jobs that I don't enjoy at all and I am ready to start a career. But on the other hand I don't want to spend money on credits that might not transfer to the school I end up at eventually. Any thoughts or advice?

Guest cbire880

My wife is working on her BSN through Penn State online. She already has her RN though. I think its only a bridge program for working RNs.

Guest juliecole

There are a ton of online programs out there, but very few are where you can earn your BSN or ADN. Those which you can earn online are not accredited by the ANA (American Nurses Association)because of the clinical component. IF it isn't accredited by them, then you earn your degree, but you can not sit for the boards, which is the only way you can practice as an RN. There are a ton of bridge programs or alternative entry to the masters level (where you have a BS degree in something besides nursing, then take a 24 month course get your nursing classes and your masters degree at the same time. Have you looked at allnurses.com ? Also allnursingschools.com. Very good websites with a ton of info.

I realize it is hard to shell out money for courses which might not transfer. Do you have any idea where he willbe stationed. Is he guard or AD. If you have a vague idea you can always look at nursing programs in that area and see what other courses you might need (ex, anatomy, micro, nutrition, statistics, biochem)

If you want to PM please do so. RN,with 11 years and counting.

• 1 month later...
Guest ilovermont

Be very, very careful when transferring. I'm not saying I can't be done, but it can definitely be difficult and costly. I've worked in both admissions and advising positions at universities in 2 different regions near military bases and I've seen my fair share of women who were moving around with their significant other, at their 3rd or 4th school, and not even close to completing a degree.

Educate yourself about the requirements for the program and the university's transfer policies and procedures. Although some schools will not evaluate your transcripts outside of an application for admission, some advisors are willing to do so (not necessarily the recruiters in the admissions department, but a faculty/staff member in the unit you're interested in). Ask if anything can be done to substitute your previous coursework for their requirements - this is *usually* taken care of when transcripts are evaluated, but things are often overlooked and you may need to double check to make sure you squeeze every last possible credit out.

If you (or anyone) has any questions about higher education stuff, please don't hesistate to send me a message.

Guest cropdusterdave

Hi nursejenn here. On-line schools are a good option when moving around alot...but as stated you need to verify that that are accredited by the ANA. BSN programs on-line are harder to come by then LPN or 2 year RN programs. Some of the Colleges within our home state offer on-line programs. If you want more specifics send a PM to my spouse and I can get the info back to you. I am also someone who has moved many times and transfered between 4 colleges and taken some side credits at 3 tech schools while working on my BSN, SRM BS and 2 minors. So I know that area well also.

Guest SeekYeFirst

I think you should wait until you get to your first real base unless you are doing an online program. I know it seems like a hundred years away, but it will be here sooner that you think.

You won't have to worry about transfering units, and you can start and finish in one place!

I actually just finished my Masters in Christian Education in an online program and it worked great since we moved twice during UPT and then once to our base here in SC. I was able to keep working even when we were in a hotel room somewhere!

Unless you do a program like that, I think you should just wait. Just consider this time a waiting time, and you will be at your final base in just a little while.

• 1 year later...
Guest marsarms

I am wondering if anyone has more information about continuing to a masters degree while the hubby is in UPT. I am considering on line programs but would really like to stick to a traditional classroom. I have a BS is psychology and a minor in sociology. Has anyone gone on to get their masters while the husband is in UPT or waiting for a UPT date? Also- has anyone specifically gone on to get their masters after having a BS in psych? I am VERY open to change of major... what other professions has worked out for pilots wives besides nursing and education? Are there universities/colleges driving distance from any UPT bases?

I should also mention that my husband is just now going to OTS and does not even have a UPT date quite yet. From what we have been informed, he will find out his UPT date and location while in OTS and chances are, we will be located to the base shortly after he gets back from OTS. I understand that is not definite, but many people have said that is how it worked out for them. If that is the case, I would like to get a jump start on my masters program while we are there waiting for UPT to start, and then while he actually goes through UPT. I figure the whole process can take up to 2 years so that will give me time to finish my program.

Any info would be appreciated.. this site is a great learning tool! Thanks so much for all your time!

I am wondering if anyone has more information about continuing to a masters degree while the hubby is in UPT. I am considering on line programs but would really like to stick to a traditional classroom.

I don't have any experience or info other than Embry Riddle, but I would recommend you contact the nearest base education office (Google any AF base, get the base operator number from their web page, then ask for the education office). I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that dependents can use the education office for general info and to register for classes (the main advantage you won't get is tuition reimbursement). If nothing else, they can tell you what options are available at the different bases and get you in contact with those offices (there are only four).

Are there universities/colleges driving distance from any UPT bases?

For Columbus, Mississippi University for Women is in town and Mississippi State University is in Starkville (next town over, about a 30 minute commute).

Dude, I've been in your shoes.. wouldn't want to go back.. no offence intended.

You wont find out where you'll be going until week 12. The only thing I suggest is to look up colleges at all UPT bases, and go from there.

At Vance:

Northern OK College

Northwestern Oklahoma State University

OSU 1.5hrs away

OU 1.5hrs away

The last three have master's programs.

As far as jobs that are easy with military, nursing and education are the easiest to transfer around, and there is a constant need for nurses and teachers. When you get into a more specific area, thats when you will run into problems. I have a friend who has her Chemical Engineering degree.. There's not a high demand of those here in Enid.. she's now almost done with her nursing degree. Working for Banks is also "good" (you couldn't pay me enough to work for one!) like Bank and America-- they are pretty much everywhere, so transferring would be easy (so to speak)

Guest marsarms

Thanks for all the info! I am not offended Kayla :)

I really think this is something that will be beneficial for my husband and myself in the long run, even though I expect it to be a pain as I start trying to pull it all together. I want a job/career that I can move up in or at least move 'around' in so I will most likely go back and get some kind of schooling. I get bored easy!

Thanks so much for the list of schools, I am about to start googling them now. I am curious as to why you decided not to go back to school. What did you end up doing? Has anyone else been there, wanting to go back to get their masters and deciding against it? If so, why?

Guest ukwxbelle

Look at Troy University. They have a MS in Counseling and Psychology with 9 different specializations. The nice thing about Troy is that they charge the same flat rate (at least I was told) for an online or an in-house course. Troy operates at a lot of bases through the education center- I cannot say for centain that they would offer courses for this particular degree on base. I'm going to consider them for my masters when ever I figure out what I want to do. I'll be switching from meteorology to something else that will move better for the future! I am currently employed at a bank- who knows, I may end up going that route!

www.troy.edu; click academics on the left menu, then the graduate school link.

Good luck!!