Gym lockers going away?

Guest miznitch

Guest miznitch

I know this is a little off the aviation topic, but is anyone else's base gym getting rid of personal lockers? There is a sign up here at Malmstrom stating that due to some new AFI or other guidance, starting in Feb, all lockers will be "day use" only. What kind of crazy garbage is that? Does anyone have a decent explanation as to why we can't have a locker anymore?

My gym got rid of personal lockers while I was deployed. Didn't bother tryin to notify anyone downrange, they just cut my lock and threw away all my stuff.

And they got rid of towels recently. They say its gonna save some 100K a year or something. I guess laundry ain't cheap.

Originally posted by gearpig:

Do you still have towels at the gym? Our leadership decided removing towels was a great way to save money. Look for that to happen soon at a base near you. However, the recently installed Starbucks in the gym is getting rave reviews from the higher-ups.

Same story at Randolph. They got rid of towels around September, but are almost finished building the brand new gym. Not that big of a deal though, just bring your own towel.

old news....mildenhall did it about a year and a half ago. first went the towels b/c of lack of funds. then the lockers went strictly to daily use b/c people were signing up for them and never using them. making lockers strictly for daily use makes sense to me though. doing away with towels though is .

same deal at whiteman too. all lockers are daily use and i haven't seen towels available.

Did it cross any minds that maybe they are cutting back on lockers and towels to make the lives of the services warriors easier?? After all that is hard work handing out towels, basketballs, and keeping an eye on the lockers.

I heard part of Vision 2020 is to add quarter slots (sts)to the cardio machines and make PT both a rewarding and fund-raising experience.

Guest Kumpfman2

At KWRB, DV's and Chiefs lost their special locker privaledges and now fight the masses for a daily use locker.

When they announced here that they were cutting the towel service, they told us it cost $55,000 a year for just Luke AFB. That's a lot of new equipment they could get by just making people bring their own towels.
Yeah, like more reflective belts.

Why? Because you are ACTIVE DUTY. THe Guard is turning gay too, but we are still about 5 years behind.

On a side note, Im getting ready to go on a 1 month Guard appreciation trip with AD to Manas. Talking to folks with our unit already there... general order number 1: No sex in AOR.

I dont even OWN a reflective belt. Guess I gotta get one.

[ 23. January 2007, 13:50: Message edited by: Stiffler ]