Flying club advice

Bergman

I've gotten a few letters from a flying club in the local area. I'm wondering if this seems like a good deal to you. A C-172 rents for $80/hour (roughly) in this area so in my mind I'd only have to fly 1 hour a month to break even.

$1000 up-front to buy a 1/36th share in the club (which can be resold later)

$40/month dues

C-150 - $39/hour wet

C-172 - $52/hour wet

Citabria - $49/hour wet

It all depends on how much you are going to fly. Also, what year C-172 are we dealing with? Around my area (Denver) a late 70's vintage 172 is going for 85/hour with 2000 and newer airframes going for 100/hour+.

The 40/month dues sounds pretty standard for any flying club, whether or not it sells shares or not. Is liability insurance included, or do you have to purchased your own insurance?

Personally, if you want to do some aerobatics in that Citabria it could be worth it. If you are looking for some C-172 time twice a month it might not be such a good deal.

How much flying do you plan on doing, Berg?

I guess that's not a rotten deal, assuming it's not a large PITA to sell back your share and recover the grand and you're going to fly more than two hours a month.

Are all maintenance and insurance costs covered with the dues? or can they come to you and hit you up for money if you, e.g., blow a jug? or some dumbass groundloops the Citabria and takes out a runway light? Do you know any of these people?

The Citabria might be fun to fly, but too many "great pilots" go out and regularly pull 4-5g's in them because "that's what it's rated for." It's hard to hurt a buck and change Cessna, but they're painfully boring to fly.

Personally, I say buy your own, but that's not always feasible. Pardon my pessimism. I've just seen the darker, dumber side of GA too many times. Clubs/partnerships can work with the right people. Good luck with it!

edit: dumb mistakes and to say, Yeah, what he said.

[ 26. December 2006, 23:19: Message edited by: sleepy ]

Berg,

I've been a member of a similar club for years, it's been a great deal for me. Before you join, ask if they will waive your monthly dues if you get deployed for more than a month. (Get it in writing if they say yes.) I've always wanted to own my own plane but the costs get out of hand pretty fast, a club is a great alternative.

Make sure you get and READ a copy of the bylaws before you join so there are no surprises. Also, talk to as many current members as you can, maybe even go to a monthly meeting so you know what you are getting into.

Humps

PS Berg are you a Bat?

[ 01. January 2007, 17:55: Message edited by: Humps ]

Guest Stearmann4

Berg,

As a veteran of the aforementioned clubs and a current aircraft owner, I can say if you're looking to fly on a (relative) budget, the clubs are the way to go. You will NEVER be able to rationalize the numbers for ownership unless you can get alot of utility out of the plane.

Owning is more of a lifestyle, it consumes a disproportionate amount of your time and money to actual flying time, but if that's your hobby go for it!

That said, steer clear of any remotely aerobatic aircraft (except for the well-supervised Decathalon/Pitts variety)They do get abused by the would be G-jocks, and unfortunately, the spars never seem to crack when they're flying...it's always the next renter. But if you love tailwheels, it might be worth it.

Lastly, club membership is like renting cars or sky diving rigs, spend a couple of years flying every aircraft they have to offer, in time you'll have a clearer idea of what type of aircraft will best suit your eventual purchase.

Mike-

Guest TheBurt

Berg,

Sounds like the right ballpark. Our club is $1000 to join, you can sell it back at anytime, $30 a month for dues, if you fly a club plane for 1 hour the dues are waived. Our IFR 172 is $40/hr wet (was $35, but gas price forced the $5) our 150 is $30 wet and our Champ is $30 wet. I also own an aircraft and hangar, and I second the opinion that it is much cheaper to go the club route than ownership, however, nothing beats going out to the airport any dang time you want and being able to fly your own plane. My aircraft and hangar are part of my LLC so that helps tremendously.

[ 31. December 2006, 18:39: Message edited by: TheBurt ]