Aneurysms

Guest Suryoyo83

Guest Suryoyo83

About 14 yrs ago (as a 10 yr old boy) I had a neuro-anyeurism operation. The problem was completely resolved, and now, 14 yrs later I'm 100% healthy, with 100% neuroogical function intact. My medical records were sent to MEPS for a determination; not wanting to make a determination MEPS is now forwarding my records to the AF SG.

I'm hoping that something that happened over a decade ago (and is resolved w/o any affects) will not stand in my way of being selected for OTS. Do you folks recommend I provide the SG with a letter from the neurosurgeon saying that I am fully neurologically OK? (since the SG will never see me, all he sees is my records from 14 yrs ago, i feel its not a full representation of my current health). Including a letter from the neurosurgeon might give a more accurate view.

[ 28. January 2007, 12:35: Message edited by: Toro ]

Guest KoolKat

***I'M NOT A DOCTOR***

If the letter could go into the package, I say go for it, unless your doc HIGHLY suggests against it.

If your considering a letter separate from the group of paperwork that is being submitted, then no...

Let your package stand as is. If you feel you can add perspective for those looking at it, it's worth it. A letter outside that is going to be of marginal value at best.

***I'M NOT A DOCTOR***

***I'M NOT A DOCTOR***

***I'M NOT A DOCTOR***

***I'M NOT A DOCTOR***

***I'M NOT A DOCTOR***

***I'M NOT A DOCTOR***

***I'M NOT A DOCTOR***

***I'M NOT A DOCTOR***

BENDY

EDIT: MODs need to delete the multiple forum posts.

[ 19. January 2007, 11:33: Message edited by: Bender ]

MEPS is not a "waiver authority"...that falls to AETC/SG. You could spend a lot of energy and a lot of money and not come close to the mark...wait (as Bendy says) until you get a decision or request for more info...

Guest salokin

about this letter stuff...

I'm going to brooks pretty soon and I have a couple things I'm worried about. I've read on here to bring plenty of documentation and letters from past docs, but I'm an air force brat and I don't have any ties to my old docs. My plan is to pretty much go empty handed...bad idea? I could get a copy of my medical records, but that's about it.

Guest F16PilotMD

If you're just going for MFS, don't worry. If you're going to the ACS for an eval or if you have an "issue"...might be different story.

• 10 months later...

I am asking for a buddy, he is trying to get into the USCG (OCS) he was told today that he is DQ'ed due to an Aneurysm that he had surgery on 10 years ago when he was 13. After being on this board now for a long time, I have learned not give up hope and there is almost a waiver for anything, so I figured I would ask the people on here that seem to know better, His doctor has said that there is no recurrance and he is able t oremain 100% active to boot he has been scuba diving, and flying so he is not affected by pressure above/below sea level. So I was going to ask what you all think his chances of a waiver would be, if he sent the package with his doctors words of encouragement, as well my father (Lt. Col AF ret.) has offerd to writ a LOR for him if it would benefit him.

Here are the regs I have found pertaining to him taken from the medical Maual

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-w/g-wk/wkh/pubs/

Capter 3.D. Page 30

30. Neurologic.

a. Cerebrovascular conditions. Current or history of cerebrovascular

conditions, including, but not limited to subarachnoid (430) or intracerebral

(431) hemorrhage, vascular insufficiency, aneurysm or arteriovenous

malformation (437), are disqualifying.

Chapter 3.F.Page 8

3) Aneurysms. Aneurysm of any vessel not correctable by surgery and producing

limiting symptomatic conditions precluding satisfactory performance of duty.

Aneurysm corrected by surgery but with residual limiting symptomatic

conditions that preclude satisfactory performance of duty.

(a) Satisfactory performance of duty is precluded because of underlying

recurring or progressive disease producing pain, dyspnea, or similar

symptomatic limiting conditions.

1 Reconstructive surgery including grafts, when prosthetic devices are

attached to or implanted in the heart.

2 Unproven procedures have been accomplished and the patient is

unable to satisfactorily perform duty or cannot be returned to duty

under circumstances permitting close medical supervision.

What I gathered from reading this (please correct me if im wrong) that his surgery which completely removed it, wouldnt affect him because it has not resurfaced and his doctor has given him 100% health. I do realize however these are the standards for someoen arleady in not tryign to get in. so here is info on the Waivers.

Chapter 3.A. Page 10

8. Waiver of Physical Standards.

a. Definition of Waiver. A waiver is an authorization to change a physical

standard when an individual does not meet the physical standards prescribed for

the purpose of the examination.

(1) Normally, a waiver will be granted when it is reasonably expected that the

individual will remain fit for duty and the waiver is in the best interests of

the Coast Guard. A service member will not be granted a waiver for a

physical disability determined to be not fit for duty by a physical evaluation

board approved by the Commandant. In these cases, the provisions for

retention on active duty contained in the Physical Disability Evaluation

System, COMDTINST M1850.2 (series), and the Personnel Manual,

COMDTINST M1000.6 (series) apply.

Again this is only stuff pertaining to people whom are already on active duty, but I couldnt find much for people who are trying to get in. Could some of the people that are in the know on this board help me out here, is he gonna fight a losing battle, or is a waiver goign to be something possible for him with a bit of a fight?

HE just spok to his recruiter and she gave him the runaround (It will be a long and hard process, but I will look it up and call you back) he said she didnt sound very convincing we are betting she will likely not call him back, so any tips for where he should proceed next..

Thanks in advance for the help everyone always is on the boards.

Guest awfltdoc

It's a little hard for me (STS) to talk about the USCG regs but my personal opinion is that he might be waiverable. The AF had regs for entry into service, continuing service, flying and spec ops duty, etc. so there could be regs out there that apply but not listed above. The folks that know would be the USCG medical people of course.

With that said, and I was your friend, I would pursue getting a waiver. However, you must take my opinion with a grain of salt in that I don't really know what the USCG medical culture is like with regard to these issues.

It's a little hard for me (STS) to talk about the USCG regs but my personal opinion is that he might be waiverable. The AF had regs for entry into service, continuing service, flying and spec ops duty, etc. so there could be regs out there that apply but not listed above. The folks that know would be the USCG medical people of course.

With that said, and I was your friend, I would pursue getting a waiver. However, you must take my opinion with a grain of salt in that I don't really know what the USCG medical culture is like with regard to these issues.

Thanks for the reply, I told him if that lady didnt call him back, then either ask to talk to the person in charge of recruiting at that station or just go ot a diferent recruiting station (but made sure he doesnt inadvertently jumpthe chain of command) but yeah, I told him from the thing s I read, and what not a waiver is possible, but it might be a battle to get it, I dont want to get his hopes up then him find out he wont be able to do it.

Thanks again, it amazes me how much soem recruiters are just unwilling to work a bit harder for soem people (or maybey they are just uneducated), I know had I nt frequented this board I wouldnt of known he might be able ot get a waiver

Guest awfltdoc
...it amazes me how much soem recruiters are just unwilling to work a bit harder for soem people (or maybey they are just uneducated)

It amazes me as well. My recruiter was a MSGT CE guy. What does he know about flight surgeons. Not much because I was having to guide him along during my entry into AD (was a Guard guy for a long time before entering AD). OTOH, there is so many nuances and stuff to just the medical regs, its hard (STS) for me to keep up with it...I can see how the recruiters would have a tough time.