Hip replacement

HuggyU2

Guest doctidy

I've put a guy back up after hip replacement.

Looks like you're at Beale...a trained U2 asset. We'll do everything possible to keep you flying.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest FredEx

If I may add related question to this post (even though it may belong in another forum; apologies if it does)...

A friend of mine (crew chief / engine troop) got out of AD AF back in the 90's, but would like to come back in as a traditional AFRC or ANG member.

Problem is, he had both hips replaced a few years ago, and even though fully recovered and in excellent health, is being told that he can't because of the surgery. He meets all other criteria for a return to service, but is hung on this...

Getting conflicting answers from recruiters and MPF folks; some say it is a show-stopper, others say it can be waived, etc... Anyone have thoughts, comments, suggestions, or otherwise?

Many thanks in advance,

Guest doctidy
Originally posted by FredEx:

...and even though fully recovered and in excellent health,...

1 - Fully recovered artificial hips don't equal God-given hips

2 - Bilateral hip replacement is far more problematic than single hip replacement

3 - I'll bet there is some underlying medical condition causing him to need both hips replaced at such a young age. If it was due to trauma (the usual reason someone young has hip replacement surgery) it would have been just one side

Guest FredEx

Thanks for responding, Rage_:P -- do appreciate it! So is there no hope at all for him as far as returning to the Air Force Reserve / Guard? Or any other branch of service for that matter?? The guy is 40 years old, has 10 years of service under his belt already & wants back in... Seems like a shame if he is unable to, but... Cheers,

Edut fer spelin'

[ 05. June 2006, 23:56: Message edited by: FredEx ]

Guest doctidy

No offense intended, but think about it...

One of the big problems we are dealing with is so many active duty that can't deploy because of a medical problem. I can see the value in the NCO, but we're an expeditionary Air Force...we can't take problems waiting to happen.