Nose bleeds

sirjrod00

So sometimes when I shower or wash my face my nose will start to bleed. Also, during my PFT a couple of weeks ago I was doing the push ups and my nose started to bleed, I didn't even hit it or anything. This happens every couple of days and it's easy to stop the bleeding. I had this problem when I was in college about 3 years ago but it stopped and I didn't pay any attention to it. This recent problem with it has been going on for about 2 weeks now. I'm hoping the problem will go away so I don't have to see a doc. Any suggestions or help?

Guest doctidy

Does it especially happen in the winter? Often times our nose dries out from the heat in our homes. Try some saline nose spray or some vaseline on a Qtip to keep it moist.

• 1 month later...

My wife had a problem when we were stationed at Moody. The Flight Doc told her about the saline solution which she used to no avail. About a year later she finally listened to me and got a referral to an ENT. He spotted the problem in 6.9 seconds. She had a small vein in her nasal passage that was right near the surface. The doctor cauterized the sucker right in his office and she has not had single nose bleed in the last 10 years. I am not saying that is what you have, but there can be many causes.

Guest F16PilotMD

Agree with above. Most people have a dry nose. Saline drops or vaseline. Also, a humidifier in the house...somewhat more of an ordeal. A few folks have "veins" in their nose that can be treated. Try the easy stuff first. If that doesn't solve it, seek a physician's care to look for the odd-ball stuff.