Consulting civilian docs while in AF

Guest deltaform

Guest deltaform

I'm a non-prior who has completed the initial flying class 1. I posted a while back about floaters in my eye that started occuring after my initial flying class physical. I went to an opthomologist who said not to worry about them, but to get them checked out annually just to be cautious. I know floaters are not disqualifying as long as they don't disrupt normal vision.

I would like to keep watch of the floaters as the doc said, but I also know I'd never want to outright mention a medical issue to the AF that didn't inhibit performance. My question is, once you're in the AF, can you go to a private doctor or opthomologist for an opinion, or are you at the mercy of the AF medical staff for everything?

[ 05. November 2005, 01:15: Message edited by: deltaform ]

Guest KoolKat

You'll get the final word from a FD, but I recall hearing that you can consult anyone you want, but if you have anything other than a "routine exam," you need to get checked out by a flight doc before you can fly again.

BL, Get it looked at...yeah, have anything done about it...no.

So, with that said, I don't really know what the value in doing that is, other than trying to be sneaky and decietful...which is a bad idea.

BENDY

Guest F16PilotMD

You CAN go to anyone you want. You'll have to pay for it yourself if the care would be available via the AF at your location. By reg, you must notify the flight docs of your care outside the base.

If you don't have trouble with your vision, there is nothing to do about "floaters".

Guest deltaform

Good deal, thanks very much for the info. If you mention floaters, are you dq pretty much, like if you just wanted the base opthomologist to keep a watch on them? Or is it something they'd be ok with as long as it didn't screw with your vision?

Guest KoolKat

"If you mention floaters, are you dq pretty much, like if you just wanted the base opthomologist to keep a watch on them? Or is it something they'd be ok with as long as it didn't screw with your vision?"

There is no thing as dq'ed pretty much. Floaters won't dq you unless they inhibit your ability to see the shit around you to the point some one notices. You should notice first..and react accordingly. Sounds like you have all the answers to the floating puzzle.

GOOD DAY!

BENDY

Guest Slick1020

I just took aerospace class at UPT and they said floaters are just fine. You must be an older guy because they explained as you get older cells in your eye die off and they tend to float to the front sometimes. I'll have one every now and again and aerospace phys helped explain that to me.

Guest deltaform

Thanks for the info. If by older you mean 25, then yeah :D

I want to fly, but I also want to make sure my eyes are healthy. I'd like to know the AF will watch my eyes for me and wont toss me out of the cockpit if I tell them I have a couple floaters.

Guest doctidy

I agree w/ F16PilotMD...but he doesn't mention that not only do you need to "notify" the flight docs, you MUST bring a copy of the doctors note to the flight docs for review. Thus, you risk the chance of an ophthalmologist w/ no AF understanding writing something in your chart that gets you in trouble.

Floaters need to be followed up by civilian ophthalmologists because they have a car payment to make. Save your money.