Protein shakes/supplements

Guest igloowhite

Guest Squez0114

Just curious if anyone has had any problems with drinking protein shakes. My PAS and COC both told me to stop taking protein due to increased levels of iron. I guess the increased iron may cause a delay in the commissioning medical (even though I successfully completed a FC 1 medical) resulting in a delay in commissioning. However, I know of several people who take protein and are fine. Plus, one of the flight docs at Brooks and one of our Captains at my det has assured me that it is fine.

I can't speak for everyone, but I have not had any problems taking protein, many pilots active duty take a variety of proteins - they also serve them at the gym on base.

Additionally, at least five of my previous flight docs all okayed all of my supplements (I ask each flight doc...)

I take annual flight physicals and the occasional operation golden flow - and no problems so far!

Perhaps you had a unique reaction?

Guest skipplet
Originally posted by Squez0114:

I guess a cadet, as of recent, went to a commissioning physical and experienced a delay in his commissioning because of increased iron that showed in his urinalysis.

They might have screwed up that guy's test. Last time I did a urinalysis I remember the lady screwed it up at first, and could tell because it indicated I had some high amounts of protein in my urine. She re-did the test twice with the same sample and it turned out normal.

• 2 months later...

I know that protein supplements by themselves are not a problem, but has anyone experienced any problems with overstressed kidneys because of protein supplements?

I'll be having my commissioning physical here soon, and I have a tendency to urinate quite frequently during the day (I drink water quite frequently and my urine has never been an odd color and is usually clear). However, my father feels that it's because of too much protein. Should I lay off the protein entirely or is my father worrying over nothing?

Thanks!

Guest guardhopefull

Most likely the water is making you urinate. The studies I have seen say that so long as you keep drinking plenty of water(1 Gallon) then your kidneys should be fine. Nevertheless I cycle off the protein once every couple months. Take a two or three week vacation from it.

Guest F16PilotMD

What does the protein do for you in the first place? Besides make you worry about your kidneys.

Guest worldnaving

Ahh come on F16pilotMD you should know this. Protein is the building blocks of muscle growth. After a workout it is a prime time to fuel your recovering muscles with protien so that they gain grow effectively. Powdered whey protein is the best during this time because it is gets digested fast and used almost immediately. It also helps when you have a long time in between meals to stop the catabolic process that takes places. Thus preserving muscle tissue. Basically anybody serious about lifting weights should be using protein supplements to help grow and maintain muscles.

Guest F16PilotMD

Hmmm, four years of med school shot to he!!.

Sounds like you read the label or listened to the GNC salesman. Just kidding. I think you are wasting your money but you probably won't hurt yourself and maybe you can run for Governor some day.

For the aviators in the crowd, my opinion is stay away from supplements. This is on an old post so I won't repeat it. Technique only...No procedures exist.

Guest worldnaving

I agree that most supplements are a waste of money. Protein however is really the exception. You can get by without taking protein supplements by eating lean cuts of meats. However its difficult to eat to up to 6 meals a day all having meat product in them. That is where the whey protein comes in. Its just easier to chug a shake rather than eat a couple of chicken breasts.

Guest worldnaving
you probably won't hurt yourself and maybe you can run for Governor some day.
BTW are you implying that protein supplements are somehow in the same league as anabolic steroids? Because protein supps come from two different sources. Either milk or eggs. In both cases the protien is isolated and converted to powdered form. This means that you can drink it and recieve the benefits of protein and amino acids for muscle growth without the added cholesterol, fat, and sugar. So again why would you steer somebody away from protein supps but not say milk or eggs, thier original more "dangerous" forms?

Guest MEH9030

"Unless a pharmaceutical company sells it"...aren't you being a little critical? I like to have a little more faith in the Docs than that. Perhaps F16Doc will share his opinion on the influence of pharm. companies?

Guest F16PilotMD

"Unless a pharmaceutical company sells it they know nothing about it."

That's about as bright as the comment on another forum concerning surgeons and unnecessary operations. Your comment comes right out of tabloids and daytime TV. You are correct that most physicians are taught little in medical school and residency about exercise physiology. Many of us, believe it or not, are able to continue our studies and don't rely on drug reps for "facts".

I've grown tired of this debate. The point of this forum is a discussion about aviation medicine. So, I'll cease my editorials about you wasting your money. However, I continue to advise all those subject to AF flying physicals, etc to avoid supplements as a rule. If you really want to take something, consult your flight doc for guidance.

Guest JoeMama

That was an interesting post.

First, you bash doctors and say they don't know much about exercise physiology.

Then, it appears as though you're agreeing with the fighter-doc that you can get enough protein in your diet without relying on expensive supplements. (Gee, you jump on docs for prescribing medicines, when all the doc did was recommend staying AWAY from the pricey supplements).

BTW, looks like the "confusion" came after he said "What does THE PROTEIN do for you in the first place." For clarification, by "THE PROTEIN" he meant protein supplements...he isn't advocating not including protein in your diet.

If I had a nickel for every time a registered dietitian, exercise physiologist, or personal trainer jumped up on a soap box to tell everyone how ignorant physicians are....well, I'd have lots of nickels.

And I have to reiterate what was mentioned above regarding:

"Unless a pharmaceutical company sells it they know nothing about it."

Exactly how many years of education/training does it take to be an exercise physiologist vs. a residency trained physician?

Next time you or your one of your loved ones is in the hospital and you're anxiously waiting to hear what the doctor has to say...go ahead and introduce yourself as an exercise physiologist who believes that docs don't know anything except what the drug reps are selling. I imagine you'll see things a bit differently when you're relying on his/her medical expertise to treat yourself or a loved one.

Guest worldnaving
First, you bash doctors and say they don't know much about exercise physiology.
You are correct that most physicians are taught little in medical school and residency about exercise physiology.
I don't really want to go into this aspect but even F16PilotMD admits that most physicians don't have a solid background about exercise physiology right out of school. Where as an exercise physiologist has spent 4 years studying that subject only. This isn't to undermine what a doctor does by any means. It is tough academic cousre and results in a well respested profession.

all the doc did was recommend staying AWAY from the pricey supplements
Protein supps are not "pricey" when compared to thier lean meat counterparts. So staying away from "pricey supplements" would result in a greater cost to your overall diet plan. Also what is so evil about them. They provide the same protein found in eggs and milk yet eliminate the bad stuff associated with them? I just don't see how advising someone on a bodybuilding diet, that could concievable be consuming up to 250 grams of protein a day should also include unessesary cholesterol, sugar, and saturated fats? I have not seen in any post by F16PilotMD where he explains this. BTW this is a serious question and not a flame. I really don't see the evil in protein supps. They are cheaper, easier to consume, and contain less harmful macronutrients. Could you please explain why someone the consumes a lot of protein in there diet should not consider protein supps?

Guest worldnaving
I've grown tired of this debate. The point of this forum is a discussion about aviation medicine.
F16PilotMD, please don't end this discussion in this way. This has alot to do with aviation medicine. Just go to the gym on base and see how many pilots, navs, and other aircrew are working out and using protein supps. I am guessing here but I would not be surprised if close to half of all aviators are doing this. It would be nice to get an actual researched medical perspective about its use. After looking at some of your previous posts I have noticed that your stance seems to be that only multi-vitamins are useful and everything else is a waste of money. I think everyone would really like to see a medical reason for this rather than a consumer opinion. If you have something I and others would love to hear it.

Guest ChrisH

Well, the amount of protein you need to build muscle is debatable. Some people believe you need a gram + of protein per pound of body weight, while some think per kg of body weight. You'll also find that some don't go by body weight at all, but by percentage of calorie intake. So, which is correct? I don't think anybody knows. Personally, I don't think that you need large amounts of protein to build muscle. I think all you need is a healthy diet that includes some good sources of protein. Muscle will come.

If you like protein supplements to make a meal replacement shake or for a quick breakfast, then by all means buy the supplements. But, some people drink half a jug of powder per day, thinking it is going to build muscle. Your body can only absorb so much protein at a time, and some people take excess protein that half probably ends up being wasted and stores as extra calories and then fat anyway. I don't believe you need as many calories or as much protein to build muscle as most people think. I think all you need is to eat frequent, small, healthy meals that keep your body in an anabolic state, thus preventing muscle break down and making sure each of those meals at least contains some good source of protein. I don't think you need 200 grams of protein and 4,000 calories to build muscle. This is why many who bulk also put on some good amount of fat along with muscle. Anytime I have tried to eat that much I just make myself sick anyway.

I will add, however, that if you are taking so much protein that you are concerned about your kidneys or any other health to the point that you actually have to ask about it, then it is a sign to stop the usage, or atleast significantly lower it's usage.

Guest worldnaving

Hey Chris, I agree with your post. Protein powder is not going to turn you into arnold if you take enough of it. Its just a product that makes getting a source of protein quick and easy. This really comes in handy in the aviation field where we end up eating on the go and you don't have the time or means to grill up a steak.

Guest doctidy

Many supplements are not just witch doctor stuff but have real action and thus real side effects or may even cause harm. Have seen supplements cause death on a number of occassions.

There is some truth to adding protein. However, too much is just gonna make you fat (it does have calories).

Creatine works too...just bad for your kidneys and makes you fart.

I am very pro taking one multivitamin a day. The minimum daily requirement is just that...the minimum amount necessary in your diet to prevent disease. We (medicine) have no idea what the optimal amount of vitamin/mineral daily requirement is to maximize growth and development.

• 1 year later...
Guest Mrsmith42e

Hey fellas,

I am about to comission in a few weeks and had one question. Perhaps if there are any people that work out and take nutritional supplements you can help me. My question is what supplements are not allowed in the Air Force for people on flying status or just people in general? Obviously, I know that anabolic steroids would be illegal but I am talking about stuff like protein, creatine, Nitric Oxide, Testosterone boosters, the legal stuff. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Guest 92T0Jackal

Refer to the AV med section...

Buuut... I asked the exact question quite a few times at my det and even got a hold of the 'banned' substance list and protein, creatine, no2 (I love no xplode!), l glutamine, blah blah blah are good to go.

I dont know and havent asked about testosterone but from the list that was read to me nothing was the stuff you'd get from GNC.

Again Im no doc and you should 'trust but verify' any info given out by guys like me on the intranetweb.

Guest kylejustin

I was told by someone at the ADC that anything sold on base at GNC is good to go. You can get always call the ADAPT office and they are happy to answer questions.

Guest doctidy

Mark - We ask aircrew to check with their flight docs. The stuff is, for the most part, safe on the ground. Some of the herbal stuff does have physiologic effects which could decrease your performance or endanger flying safety. (wouldn't want you using the "enlarge your member" stuff and end up grabbing the wrong stick!) :D

Further...there is no "list". Creatine, Nitric, protein won't raise a flag on urinalysis. As for testoterone booster...they do screen for steroids...and I believe GNC did sell Andro...so I'm not sure I would say that all GNC stuff is good to go.

• 1 year later...
Guest TCMMOOSEDRVR

I am currently an active duty pilot and I had some question regarding supplements and flight physicals/drug tests. I am very into working out and would like to start a new routine/diet program that suggests some supplements. I was curious if anyone can tell me wether or not any of these might be disqualifying or get me into trouble when I get pulled into the piss test. Thanks.

Glutamine

ZMA - (Zinc monomethionine aspartate and Magnesium Aspartate)

Viraloid - Prohormone Free Natural Testosterone Enhancing Compound

17-HD - (17- Halo-Methyl-Diana-drone)

Promen-X -

6-OXO

Metabolic Thyrolean