Brooks administrative info

Guest Thriller

Guest fungus

I am wondering if I could be screened out at brooks. I already have my FC1 but what are they checking at Brooks? I mean does anyone know exactly what they check? Blood pressure.. that type of thing?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
Guest bruno

Okay this question is for F-16 PilotMD specifically but if anyone else knows any info-I would love to hear it.

What is the percentage of selectees who go home from Brooks DQd? That is of course unfortunate for them but not entirely for me. The Cadre at my Det are telling me that I am near the top of the Alternate list. I am not really sure if that is relevant or not.

Do selectees get DQd for petty things like minor hernias, cavities, or Permenant reatiners or do the folks at Brooks give them a chance to get all their medical issues/waivers in order. I heard a rumor that selectees get one shot to medically qualify or they are out. I don't wish anyone poor health but I want to fly as bad as anyone else.

Anyway is the alternate list real or is it just a platform to pacify non selectees

Thanks,

Bruno

Guest F16PilotMD

I think of Brooks as only MFS. For the people I deal with, I do their IFC-1 and Brooks does only MFS. In that scenario, they quote about a 5% DQ rate and those issues typically aren't waiverable. Anything that makes them DQ on the IFC-1 (hernia, cavities, etc) we work out prior to the IFC -1 going to AETC for approval.

Now, for you, Brooks will be doing both your IFC-1 and MFS all at once....correct?????? In that scenario, I'm not sure who helps you work out issues. They SHOULD but you will be home and they will be in Texas when your tooth/hernia/etc gets fixed....? I don't deal with ROTC so I don't know what happens in that scenario.

I showed up at Brooks, and they failed me right there for depth perception. However, one kind eye doc decided to give me a few more tests, so many tests and 4 days later, I left with a passing sheet for MFS. To those that are going, bad things can happen, but they want you to pass, so just keep after it.

They had me run the whole range of tests because they saw in my file that I had had a run in once with the rings test. They were cool about it, but there are some pretty hard DP tests that they can give to you. If you don't have any history of these problems and don't state anything on your questioneer, there shouldn't be any problems. The rest of the tests were ones that I had seen during my IFC1 tests.

Guest F16PilotMD

Multiple answers in one here.

For ANG/RES: Your IFC-1 is done at home. If you 'fail' and part of MFS, they will DQ you and send you home. It's up to your local flight doc to work the waiver.

Permanent retainer: That's a new one for me. Sounds like it will have to come out or be waivered...I'd try for a waiver first but I can see them saying that it might come out under G's, you could choke, the sky might fall, etc, etc.

MFS: = psych testing, echocardiogram, eye tests.

Probably missed a few, I'm TDY, let me know if I missed you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Siscojoe

I know this question has probably come up once or twice already...For a guy who just got a slot in my junior year in school, when should I expect to do my class 1 phys.? About the physical, how many go down to Brooks and fail? Any reason to worry? What can I look for/expect? Thanks for anything.

Guest Siscojoe

F16Pilot:

This may be an obvious question, but what is the diff. between MFS and IFC-1? Can you give me a quick lo-down on the two. Thanks!

Guest F16PilotMD

IFC-1 is your Initial Flying Class 1 full physical and includes everything. MFS is Medical Flight Screening. It is relatively new and is designed to identify conditions that may be a problem in the future for pilots. I think they still quote a DQ rate of about 5%. It consisits of an echocardiogram (ultrasound of your heart), specific eye tests, and psych exams (for research only at this point, I think). They are screening for things that were not looked for in the past. MFS was designed to occur enroute to SUPT. It still does work that way for some. However, to streamline the process, ROTC cadets (and some others I'm sure) go to Brooks (San Antonio, TX) for the IFC-1 and MFS at the same time. This has caused some confusion because ROTC folks can't/don't discern between the two events. Consequently there is some bad info out there about what each consists of. If you search the web you can find a MFS site with info on how it works, etc.

I just got back from Brooks for my FC1 and MFS on Friday the 23rd. I'm in ROTC so the process may be different for OTS, AD and Academy folks. I was there during the third week they were doing the combined FC1/MFS so there will probably be some changes in the future as the kinks are ironed out. If you had PRK like I did it will be a little different for you, here is how it went:

-After getting the pilot slot I talked with the cadre at my Det about scheduling a time. Go talk with one of your NCOs to set up your appointment.

-You will have to go to Aerospace Medicine website http://www.brooks.af.mil/web/enhance/index.htm . Click on Flying Class 1/MFS link. There is a link with some FAQs and one to start application and fill out forms.

-You have to fill out the Form 93, Form 696, and ROTC Pesonal Data Sheet. These have to be emailed down to Brooks 2 or 3 weeks before your appointment so make sure they get done. You should be able to get the email address from one of your NCOs. If you had PRK you must fax all of your Pre/Post-Operative forms down too.

-After all of this is done the people at Brooks should be able to confirm your appointment and then your cadre can make your travel arrangements. Billeting was full when we went to Brooks so we had to stay in the American Heritage Inn off base. It is only about 200 yrds from the gate and was pretty nice, but only had about 12 channels worth of TV. It cost $47 a night and you have to pay that out of pocket, it should be reimbursed later but it still puts a dent in the old wallet if you have to stay the whole week like I did.

-Before heading down south (sts) make sure you have everything: orders, a copy of your physical used to contract into ROTC (DODMERB), your PPQ result sheet, Form 46, Det issued PT gear, $, prescription glasses if applicable, sunglasses (you'll get your eyes dilated with some strong s**t), a 13"x10" envelope with your Det's address on it and if you're a PRK person a copy of all your Pre/Post-Operative paperwork.

-I flew down on Sunday and was met by the "Action Officer" who is the dude that drives you to the base and back to the airport. I lucked out because our "Action (Inaction, j/k Gonads) Officer" is a buddy of mine who commisioned in December. Be sure to get some dinner before 1900 because you can't eat for 12 hrs before the testing starts the next morning. Also, NO ALCOHOL for 72 hrs prior, yeah I know it sucks but it will taste that much better the following weekend.

-Testing starts Monday, you have to be there by 0700. In the morning you will: get your teeth X-rayed, see a dentist, do a hearing test, get an ultrasound of your heart and EKG, give 7 vials of blood, pee in a cup, get your vitals taken (Blood pressure and heart rate), do some eye tests (depth perception, close up eye charts), and go over your medical history with MSgt Nagel. After lunch we finished the day with 4 hours worth of Neuro-pscyh tests (personality and IQ) that will leave you wishing for a drink (you'll get it after you take the tests). Don't worry about these, they don't count toward the FC1/MFS. They are used as a baseline in case you have a head injury or something later in your career.

-On Tuesday morning we peed in another cup with someone watching this time, measured our sitting/standing heights and got weighed. We also did some more vision tests (3 books worth of color vision and the red lense test) and you will get your eyes dilated and see the eye doctor. If you had PRK DO NOT get your eyes dilated, you will do that another day. After lunch you will get chest X-rays taken and see the flight doctor for the physical. PRK people ask to be one of the first to go, after your physical you can start doing some of the extra eye tests and see the opometrists/opthamologists. After the physical you are done.

-MSgt Nagel sat down with everyone individualy and gave us an informal debriefing on any issues that may DQ us. This is NOT official and he will make this clear before you start so don't go home and pay for a bunch of tests that you probably won't need. This debrief is nice because you will have some idea of where you stand so you aren't worrying yourself sick waiting to hear back from HQ.

Now don't freak out when you read this next part. 0f the 13 cadets that were down there when I was, 12 of us have a DQ, the week before I went 11 of 12 had a DQ. The vast majority of these DQs are stuff that can be fixed or waived (cavities in your teeth, PRK, etc) so don't jump in front of a bus or anything like that.

That pretty much covers it for those that didn't have PRK, if you did there is some more info further on in this post. After you are done with testing on Monday and Tuesday the rest of the day is yours. I would suggest going to the River Walk downtown there is tons of stuff to do. There is a mall, movie theater, all sorts of restaraunts (Hooters), the Alamo is there (not terribly exciting but worth a look). The "Action Officer" isn't responsible for taking you around after he drops you off for the day so you will have to take a cab. I had really good luck with Yellow Checker company (210) 222-2222. It cost $12 to get from the hotel to the River Walk. Sorry for the super long post (sts) but hopefully this will cover any questions you may have. Let me know if there is something I didn't cover.

If you have had PRK read on you have to stay a couple of extra days so read on:

Wednesday and Thursday are full of eye tests and eye docs. The doctors are looking to see if you have any haze left over from the surgery or anything else wrong with the eye. A majority of the eye tests I took seemed to be concerned with how contrast sensitive my eyes were. Contrast sensitivity is something that some people loose after having PRK. I don't know how in depth I can talk about the tests they did. Before I went to Brooks I found a website http://www.contrastsensitivity.net/ that had lots of good info about contrast sensitivity. If you search around the site you can find some examples of contrast sensitivity tests that they may or may not give you at Brooks. They also check to see if you have a problem with glare, again something you can search on the internet. They do all of the tests both corrected and uncorrected, so if you have any prescription left, it will be a long couple of days for you. I lucked out because both my eyes are Plano.

If you are headed down to Brooks I hope everything goes well for you. If you have any questions about the FC1/MFS or PRK let me know and I will answer them as well as I can.

[ 26. April 2004, 04:20: Message edited by: El Duderino ]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest uptboundnav

I am going to Brooks on Jul 8th. for my UPT flight screening. I was wondering if there is anything that I can do to prepare for this, or anything that I should be aware to prepare for?

Thanks for the help,

Wreck

Guest Slye

There's not much you can prepare for, which is kind of a good thing. Bring your orders, medical file, and $5 for lunch, most likely pizza. You can bring change too if you want sodas or snacks during the other times. Remember that the psych testing isn't a disqualifying factor, but it is used for baseline testing if you sustain a head injury later in your career. Do not ask questions about your exam while it is being conducted! The whole process is considered a testing environment and you can get sent home if you keep asking them how you're doing. If they find any problems they'll tell you at the end of the day and you'll have a chance to discuss it and look into waivers if applicable. If a waiver is necessary, it usually goes through pretty quickly since they're done at the same base. Just relax and hit up the riverwalk when you guys are finished.

• 1 month later...

My friends and I just got back from Brooks for our FC1/MFS. We rented a car from the airport. It really made the trip more fun. If we didn't get the car, we probably would've just sat around the hotel the whole time with nothing to do. A bit of advice, if you decide to rent a car, make sure the Lt that is supposed to pick you up knows you got other means of transportation. Also, it is freezing in the building, you may want to bring your sweats.

Ask your resource advisor/NCOIC about authorizing a rental car on your orders. If you are authorized a car on your orders, then you'll get reimbursed when you file your travel voucher. Otherwise you can try, but you'll possibly be SOL.

• 6 months later...
Guest future16driver

Just curious as to how long it takes for an FC 1 to get stamped. Went to Brooks at the end of Novemeber and was curious how much longer it will be before i am shitin my pants with excitement or reading broucheres for oppertunities in "Services"

Thanks for any help!

AFROTC Pilot Select

Commisioning May 05

Guest Dirt Beater

The most common thing I hear is 2-3 months...some cases taking longer and some not so long. I would imagine if you need any sort of waiver or anything it would delay the process....duh.

Guest Squez0114

I went to Brooks in early October and got my results in early December. However, there are several other pilot candidates at my det who have not heard anything about their FC1s. Good luck!

Guest DaRevrend

I went to Brooks during the first week of October and got my results in the first week of December. My buddy that went the same time got his results about two weeks later. He was a little further down in the alphabet, but who knows if that matters? Good luck.

• 2 months later...
Guest guardhopefull

Just wondering if anyone else is going? I’m guessing Brooks is a minimum two day affair now? I ask cause my orders say to report on the 30th (no time stated) and that I complete it on 1 April.

Like I said no time was stated although the Brooks welcome letter said 0700 hrs so I guess I just show up at that time on the 30th. No big deal, just a little confusing when looking at the orders, cause it makes it look like Brooks takes 2-3 days.

Guest guardhopefull

So I guess you just sit around for a couple days extra if you pass everything? I know that Brooks now does the FC1 so I was not sure if that was the reason for the 2 extra days.

My unit made my airline tickets from the 29th to the 1st, but my FC1 is finished.

[ 21. March 2005, 15:25: Message edited by: guard/reserve hopefull ]