Is swimming a part of UPT or other training?

R-Dub

What are the requirements for swimming with regards to pilot training in the USAF? I can't seem to find a definate answer on this topic anywhere I look. Thanks for any/all the info any of ya'll might have!

Guest SuperStallionIP

Bear in mind, that's just what I've "heard". I don't actually have any experience with USAF water survival.

Guest cb03t

Its weird you brought that up, I just read a dudes journal where he talks about swimming, granted he's at Whiting training with the squids. I was also wondering if AF UPT does the swimming junk.

Guest SuperStallionIP

I would sure think so. While transiting the globe, there is a very solid chance that an aircraft will fly over water. Just an assumption though.

I am __ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN__ that you will not swim if you are an Air Force pilot student training at Pensacola/Whiting.

I am going through it now. When the Navy/Marines/Coast Guard/Foreigners/AF Navs go swimming I go to IHOP.

Guest SuperStallionIP
Originally posted by DC:

I am __ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN__ that you will not swim if you are an Air Force pilot student training at Pensacola/Whiting.

I am going through it now. When the Navy/Marines/Coast Guard/Foreigners/AF Navs go swimming I go to IHOP.

Not a bad deal. Get an early start working on your girlish figure.

You will not swim during UPT. Once you are done, you will do water survival training. Once you are operational, you may have to do water survival training as a recurring item. Since we fly over the water at Seymour Johnson, we have to do a refresher course every year.

It is relatively new here at Pcola for us not to be allowed to swim. Apparently the AF either doesn't want their pilot students to get hurt or to fail out of UPT for not being able to swim. Apparently the pilots haven't had to swim for years, but until recently they did anyway to either not be separated from their class or because they weren't told they didn't have to. But now, not even allowed. Why they have the WSOs doing it, I couldn't tell you. It probably has something to do with at Whiting our flying is done mostly north of the area in S. Alabama and at Pcola where the WSOs do _ALL_ of their training, they'll spend a lot more time over water.

[ 03. August 2005, 22:33: Message edited by: DC ]

Originally posted by RWaller52:

what is included in water survival training? Did any of you train for that stuff?

It's been eight years since I did water training, but I thought it was pretty straight forward. Spend a couple days at Pensacola - first few days hanging out in the classroom and the final day was in the water riding behind the boat in the parachute, jumping into a raft and chewing on a power bar while you waited for the boat to come back and pick you up.

Other than knowing how to swim, there is no real 'prep' prior to starting the course.

Guest street

I was at water survival back in the first week of February and as Toro said, it was pretty straight forward. 3.5 days, first day entirely classroom, day 2 class in the morning water in the afternnon, climbing into rafts and zip-lining into the water for PLF(parachute landing fall) training, day 3 more of the same except parasailing. final day, we were supposed to parasail again, but it was too windy all we did that day was sit in a one-man raft for about an hour or so in 6 foot swells. Good time, I was asleep when the boat came along side to pull me out of the Bay. We also go hoisted out of the water by a Navy helo. I wouldn't worry too much about the swimming. You have LPUs on the entire time. You may swallow (SPS) some sea water but that's about it. It was fookin' cold when I was there but overall a good time!!

Guest kirkhac

Swimming at water survival is not a factor. As long as you can dog paddle over to whatever ladder you are using to climb out of the water you'll be fine. There is no swim test. As others have said, water survival is low threat. You spend most of the time sitting and waiting for your turn to do whatever.

Awesome info, fella's!!! Amidst all the "hype" of the "rant switch" posts in the general discussion, it's cool to see some good info still getting to us admittedly FNG's. Thanks!!

Guest rotorhead

USAF helicopter pilots must pass a swim assessment prior to dunker training. You swim a few pool lengths in a flight suit with shoes on. Some fail, train up, and retest later.

Guest Furious

Your probably getting old info. Back in the day, all students going through USN training had to pass a mile long swim in the pool. They had even talked about adding it at Vance since that was the "sister" base to Whiting for guys who went on to -38's or the T-1. Apparently too many people complained about it. The water survival info about is exactly right.

• 2 weeks later...

Prior to starting T-44/C-12 training here at Corpus (between Phase 2 and 3) you must complete the AF Water Survival course in Pensacola. It consists of exactly what justaflyer said (not sure about the 6 foot swell part, though).