M-9 Qualification Details

Ram

Say I wanted to walk over to the friendly SF shack and qualify on the M-9. Anyone know how to go about this or any details?

Specifically, is it limited to those deploying, or can anyone just walk over and get it done? Also, what are the requirements for qualifiying / marksman?

I'm full of questions 'cause I've been shooting now for about a year with my H&K, and I want to make it official that I know how to shoot.

Thanks in advance.

Talk to your training folks, they should be able to hook you up with M-9 training. I thought everybody had to be qual'd anyway, is that just overseas?

The fun thing here is that we can get training through my boss' personal security detail, so it's more than just M-9s...

Cheers! M2

It depends on your squadron. The M-9 qual is a mobility issue - if you are on mobility status you need to be qualified. Since I'm currently an FTU instructor, I don't need to be qualified, but keeping me qualified would make life easier if all of a sudden it was decided I had to deploy (many 4FW FTU instructors deployed at the kickoff of OIF). In general there are only a limited number of training slots per squadron, but if your training guy can get you one (as M2 mentioned), then it's fairly easy to take the class.

I believe the qualification now lasts 30 months to re-align with the AEF shift.

Guest driftsight

To qualify for marksman:

At least 30 of 36 rounds in a 12 inch circle at center mass on a rough human sillouette. You'll shoot a few rounds each from, let's see if I remember..., 7, 15 and 25 meters respectively.

Guest lovelacm

Uhm... It actually just changed... now there are head shots involved and you fire 90 rounds instead of just 60. Dammit.. just did that about 2 weeks ago. Someone else shoot recently? I'll think on it.

Linda

Guest rumblefish_2

If you're in training you probably won't shoot until you get to FTU. Here they won't cut your orders to your first assignment until you are M9 qualed. May be different at other FTUs. Also, we shot a couple of weekends ago and it was still 30 out of 36 with all bullets on the paper. Guess AETC is lagging as usual...

Guest AV8NSP

Linda's right..AFQC changed with the AFI that was released earlier this year. Amazing that AETC isn't on board, but the guard is! The new course is awesome--much more realistic than the old center mass deal. Pretty easy to get the E on this one, but then again I was an SP for 7 years ;)

Anyway, for most MWS's, I think M-9 qual is a requirement for your mission qualification. If no one in your traning shop can hook you up, call the CATM guys at your local SP shop, and they'll probably be more than happy to oblige. If you've qualified before, it should be no big deal. THere might be a little resistance if this is your first time, because flight crew are considered Cat C shooters (36 months between quals now, I'm told), and that requires a full academic class prior to going out to the range. But, a properly placed case of beverage has been known to help...Good luck!

Guest croftfam

M-9 and M-16 for us! Last I heard for us it was a year and a half. Rotorhead is probably a better person to answer though.

Guest AirGuardian

M-9 Qual is good for - 3 years for Pilot, 2 years for Loadmaster. Speaking from the C17 community.

Just did it as well(again), as we are getting ready to head on out and play the game all over again and again!

The head shots are more realistic as body armor has come into question on whether or not it was good practice hitting center mass only. Good change, definitely a good change!

Guest Remy1492

Thats cool Beaver, you a prev 130 guy? You gotta keep us posted on how your life goes, thats an odd and small career field you are in.

I have always been interested in it.

Guns are cool