Late to Rate

zrooster99

Back in 2005 the 50 AS Sq/CC was a late rate Buff EWO turned Herk Pilot. He later became a patch and then Sq/CC. Just made O-6 last year. However I'm sure Herk Driver will back me up on this...the guy is someone who should of never been promoted past Captain.

He was O-6 BTZ. He just came out on the list for OG/CC. (that's one-although not late rated in one sense, but late to Pilot)

I would love to hear about any late rated DOs and SQ/CCs out in the MAF. I would really love to hear about one (or more) that made DO and SQ/CC of any airlift squadron (not an OSS or stuff like that).

I personally know one that just got hired to become a DO of a -130 squadron (not an OSS). Not a patch wearer and has not followed a "normal" career path. (that's two).

Another one got picked up, as I've posted before, of an OSA squadron. I'll post more as those dudes in the '93-'96 year groups continue to get picked up (if they do). The reason you haven't heard of many of them is that those year groups are just beginning to hit command and DO hot and heavy (sts).

Edited by Herk Driver

• 1 month later...

I am a (recently) late rated guy and was wondering how promotion boards view the lack of important captain-level OPRs when considering people for in-residence IDE. Looks like I'll have about 2 years without an OPR. My DOR is Dec '06, so I think my PRF will be due in '10 giving me (maybe) 2 operational OPRs. I've always been interested in AFIP and would like to set myself up for success. I am very familiar with all the "be the best at your job" talk, so no need to include that...thanks.

I was a prior-enlisted late rate after spending almost three years in missiles. In my experience, leadership will look to you to be a role model for the younger crowd. Although I didn't finish my masters until really late in my career, I don't think it hurt me too much. Hopefully you won't follow my example on delaying it. I think my worst mistake was jumping planes. It put me behind the power curve on going to the staff and I never caught up in my new community. Fight for strong OPRs, and if the writer sucks, appeal your case. Strive for honest feedback (which I didn't get) and assume you're not doing enough.

As for the IDE thing, getting established in your community is critical. It might involve volunteering for the jobs no one wants, but that didn't help me. A lot of the push for schools/high-end opportunities involves the fact that you are part of the "flavor of the month" club. You need to have the right jobs at the right times with the right words.

I probably said too much, but timing is really important, and it could be even more important for someone coming late to the dance. A friend who was a late rate from mnx was passed over for O4 with a similar situation to yours.

I've got a couple buddies that were in a similar situation... Both are doing well because they worked hard...

But the things I took from them are that you need to be very good at your primary job and prove your worth early on. This allowed them to branch into other areas - the non-flying areas. Both ended up being some sort of execs. So, I hope you don't really, really like flying because you're going to need to take jobs that don't include a lot of that...

Guest Rusty Pipes

I was a prior Nav before UPT who was in for over 6 yrs before getting mission ready as a pilot. The bottom line is that you will have to work your ass off to catch up. While your peers are IP's and EP's you are just a co-pilot. I got slammed into "the right" jobs from the start as an Asst Flt CC and then Flt CC as a co-pilot. I got a min time upgrade to both AC and IP along with an OG Exec job. The credibility thing depends on what you did prior. Like a lot of other guys have said, very few will have problems with prior Navs as far as credibility goes other than some immature young guys, but you really don't care about them anyway. As a matter of fact, if you are a good stick and a crew dawg, you are actually going to be the guy that most of the AC's and IP's want to fly with.

Like I said, I got hit with the right jobs, but its up to you to make the flying thing happen. I've seen a few late to rate guys get those jobs and become seagulls (need to throw rocks at them to get them to fly). Those guys had little credibility in the Sq and eventually stalled out. Your biggest challenge is the O-4 board. Although everyone makes Maj these days, getting a school slot and DP for late rate guys is generally a little tougher. It can definitely be done, you just need to work a lot harder than everyone else to get there. As far as career progression goes, I'll just leave it with this... Lt Gen North (CFFAC/9th AF CC) was a prior Nav (WSO) and now he's in charge of the Air War in the AOR.

Bud, I'll lay it out a little.

1. Study UPT style and learn your plane and mission.

2. Get the hours

3. If you demonstrate competence in the plane and you have the hours, the upgrades will come.

4. If you're in crew aircraft, having AC on an OPR and PRF will help.

That's the ops stuff

Now comes the part that sucks about the AF; an OG or better level job, like OG exec. Hell, just volunteering (and not getting it) for this crap can elevate your stock, and that it the gamesmanship of the AF that I hate.

But, as I posted earlier, you competed for UPT and made it. The board sees that stuff and recognizes it. I know a late-rated dude that just made O-5 1-BTZ this winter.

Out