KC-10 mech needs advice

Guest adamj

Guest adamj

Im sure that this is a common topic but I need some advice. First off I should have my degree and pilots license by the end of summer. I have been an aircraft mechanic for 7 years active duty and about 2 years as a full time reservist (ART) with the KC-10's at McGuire AFB New Jersey. I work along side the reserve pilots but I really don't know any closely. My question is how do I go about letting them know that I am interested in a pilot slot in the reserves. Who should I talk to? Should I just go talk to them one day, or is it supposed to be a more formal meeting? Im trying to get this rolling but I still feel a little clueless about how the whole process works. Thanks for any help

[ 20. April 2005, 19:32: Message edited by: adamj ]

Go talk to the ops officer or chief pilot. Totally informal to let them know you are interested, the formalities will come later in the interview process.

Keep your MX supervision in the loop. They should not find out you are trying for a pilot slot with a call from the ops squadron "Adamj is applying for a pilot slot, do you recommend him?"

If you don't feel comfortable approaching the squadron leadership, talk to one of the engineers/booms out on the line when you are getting the jet ready to go - they should be able to give you the skinny on who to talk to.

Units typically like to hire from within, it shows the unit is committed to rewarding hard work with professional advancement, it gives people an incentive to put their best foot forward, and it's lower risk for the unit, since they already know you and know you're probably not going to pull a fast one and quit, switch units or be a shitbird.

I'm assuming you are about 25-26 years old, so you have some time, but don't wait. You may have time to interview this summer.

Giving up that ART job will be tough, but you'll have to cross that bridge when you come to it.

Finally, do some searches on this board, TONS of good info. Look at the top of the page for some FAQs as well.

Good luck!

[ 20. April 2005, 19:42: Message edited by: PAB ]

Guest tentoad

Walk down the hallway to OG Stan Eval and ask for Jim.

Or, call me at 3887.

Boards are coming up, do it this week.

Tentoad