HC-130 info

Guest JArcher00

Guest JArcher00

I did a search. I love how this statement has to be posted before any questions asked.

Anyone here flying the HC-130 now or in the past? How vastly idfferent is the mission from the traditional slick, besides the refueling of the whillybirds. Do you still stay current in airdrop, assaults, formation (with another -130 not a rotors)and normal airland stuff? PM me if you are currently flying them in the active duty world or the good world or just post the info for others to see. Thanks

[ 31. July 2006, 19:34: Message edited by: Toro ]

I fly MC-130P's basically the same mission, some different equipment. HC's and MC's stay current in Airdrop (but no heavy equipment), assaults/infil exfil, we (MC's) stay current in formation (or try to), but our formation is close trail 200'-500' behind the other aircraft and just out of the prop wash. As far as I know HC don't practice formation.

Guest Cannetny

I've been on the HC since 2000. The diff from the slicks isn't huge but there are some significant diiferences. The Altitudes on a low level for example are less restrictive. Also like Shadow05 said, no heavy drops. We do other drops that slicks don't do such as 150' agl drops. And no, we don't fly formation.

As far as the HC not doing MOD contour anymore, well all I can say is that we did it before we moved to AFSOC so I don't see how being back in ACC should change that. That goes for alot of things I hear rumors about. We really didn't change our mission much when we moved, the regs are still the old ones we had under ACC. I guess we'll just have to see how it all shakes out.

Guest TheBurt

[ We do other drops that slicks don't do such as 150' agl drops.

The 8 Guard/reserve slicks that do MAFFS, drop as high as 150'AGL.

[ 20. July 2006, 18:51: Message edited by: TheBurt ]

Ditto on FE2Pilot's info. 90% of your flying is tac, very little IFR or trash-hauling (except to move helo mx equip for ORIs). No formation.

Active-duty wise, you've got Moody w/about 3/4 of the fleet and D-M with the rest, plus schoolhouse at Kirtland. Once you're in, it's tough to crossflow, but not impossible. With a presumed lack of volunteers to go to Cannon, there may be more opportunity (especially with the MC-130W).

Deployments can vary, but once a year is about average. If you think the idea of making up your mission on the fly is fun, then this is a job for you. If you like planning thinigs down to the last detail and hate when they change, forget it.

PM me if you want more info. Cut me and I bleed sea dye.

Guest JArcher00

Now, what differences do you see/hear from the Reserve squadrons versus active duty, with regards to the flying, missions, not lifestyles?

What rumors have you in the community heard about the HC's moving to the J model like the Coast Guard?

Guest Cannetny

One thing to keep in mind is that all rumors point to the eventuality of the J model. Problem is that it will not have a Nav or FE. I originally heard different for the rescue birds but now all I hear is no Nav. Either way it will be a while before it becomes a factor.

Originally posted by toastychicken:

Doesn't sound like they're dropping HC's to Randolph navs. I'd appreciate it if any of you can get me in touch with HC navs.

I completely retract this statement. Apparently the AFPC gods struck again...and dropped THREE HC's to Randolph tonight. We also got THREE EC's, THREE 52's, two AWACS and a JSTARS. No MC's or AC's.

Friggin 'a.

• 3 years later...

Thread Revival - The first "HJ" rolls off the line. Is ACC keeping the navs?

That is a sexy Super-King!

I know the MC-130J will have one CSO, who will take over the Primary and defensive Nav and FE crew positions. The radio will be gone as well, reducing the crew from 8 to 5, with 2 loads in the back. I'm guessing the King crew will do the same, plus their three PJs in the back, reducing the crew from 10 to 8. Anybody know what equipment will be different in the MC-130J?

post-1293-127179347603_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thread revival...

Can anyone offer some insight on current status of the J-model? I read in a press release from Lockheed that IOC is fragged for this year. True? More specifically, if ACC is keeping the Nav, what kind of Nav suite is the J equipped with? I also read that the J eliminates the FE position. Does the Nav pick up any additional in-flight duties? Good community? Pros v Cons? Lastly, what's the current dwell time/ops tempo (if able)? Many thanks in advance, cheers....

The HC-J is fragged for IOC mid-2012 with deployments expected shortly afterwards, the first airplane will be delivered by the CSAF on Sept 24th at Davis Monthan. The HC is the same configuration (currently) as the MC-130J and has no FE but dual CSO stations ( with only one being used right now). As far as FE duties, the CSOs (former navs) are responsible for a most of the fuel panel operations because the system is right over their head, however the computer (90%) and the pilots/loadmasters (10%) now perform the majority of the jobs formerly done by the FE. Overall the community, although small, is full of a great group of individuals and should only get better as new aircraft and capabilities come online. As far as deployments, the HC-130Ps is currently one of the, if not the highest deployed MWSs in the AF right now. Our guys are sitting at or below a 1:1 dwell, which means that for every day home (or TDY) expect to be deployed an equal amount. Of course as with any small community is it the standard feast or famine wrt deployments. Personally I'd recommend HCs to any new operator coming in. The flying is phenomenal and the mission is the best in the world.

Exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks Crown. When you are home, what can you expect? JTFEX, RF, etc? And I can only assume that the majority of your deployed time is spent sitting alert? Safe assumption? What's a rough estimate of annual flight time? It sounds like the dwell is pretty much the same as the other airframes I'm contemplating but no big deal there. I'm excited to be back on the road and a 1:1 is what I was used to in the 135.

Depends on where you go and who you are operating under as to the ops tempo. In certain AORs you will see standard 72-hour alert cycles with lots of time prepping for missions that will hopefully never go, but in other places our guys are maxing out crew duty day everyday and getting waivers to go over maximum flight hour restrictions. Both ways can wear on you, but its also what makes the job fun...flying one of the most diverse mission sets in the AF in one of the most capable and diverse aircraft ever built.

As to the EXs, yes the standard exercises and whatever training that benefits the whole community (ie HH-60s and PJs). As for flying, there is no shortage of hours...just operators. I dont think there is a single person in the community that is wanting to fly more than they are right now.