Need some advice

LJDRVR

Here's the deal, after ten years of civilian life, I've decided that it's time to serve again. (I did nine years on active duty.) I've talked to a reserve unit, and will soon schedule a physical to get the ball rolling.

In the mean time, I was wondering if there's anybody out there who can help me with some questions concerning the viability of my choice, and what other options might be available to me with other units or career fields. Anybody with any AWAC background or insights would be especially appreciated.

Background: (Military)

9 years enlisted AD

TS Presidential Support clearance

Bacground: (Civilian)

Insructor Pilot

Airline Pilot

Published Author

Airline Director of Safety/Human Factors Nerd

Feel free to either PM or post it here.

Thanks!

Originally posted by LJDRVR:

Background: (Military)

9 years enlisted AD

TS Presidential Support clearance

Bacground: (Civilian)

Insructor Pilot

Airline Pilot

Published Author

Airline Director of Safety/Human Factors Nerd

Feel free to either PM or post it here.

Thanks!

Letters to Penthouse doesn't count! "I was an instructor pilot at a small midwestern FBO. I never thought this kind of stuff really happened, but..."

:D

Have you talked with the reserve AWACS unit at Tinker? AFB. Also, there might be some intel opportunities at Kelly AFB (Air Intelligence Agency..aka "the hill").

[ 24. August 2005, 16:40: Message edited by: Bergman ]

"Dear Penthouse forum, I never thought this sort of thing could happen to me, but..."

LOL

Actually Bergman, I have talked with the folks in the 970th, that's kind of the road I'm headed down now. I'll check on the Kelly thing, although I'm leaning more towards an aircrew position.

Anyone's unit hiring FE's?

Thanks for the suggestions though, keep em' coming.

Guest WildBill

I was an airline pilot in a former life, and decided the post 9/11 economy and the joy of contract negotiations were most enjoyable when viewed from the sidelines, so, here I am. And for god's sake why on earth would you want to fly an AWACS? You could stay in the civilian side and do that, give me something you CAN'T fly in the civilian world, and I'll feel like I made the right choice.

WildBill,

I was enlisted. Although I'd love to go to UPT, I don't think I'm gonna get an age waiver for being 38. (Maybe I can convince my wife to let me date one of the Bush twins..) My reason for wanting to go back in (albiet part-time)is because I miss being in service to others. Corny? Yes. True? Absolutely. We're at war, and I want to set a good example for my kids. I seperated before they were born.

Guest croftfam

60's always could use good FE's, and their locations are pretty sweet. New York, Florida, California, and Alaska. I don't think there are any others.