Good comments for a TODP?

Guest whyme?

is wording like "has a good solid plan and vector" comments that will help or do i need words with more punch?

I would not reccomend going with the above. Your assignments officer needs to know waht you want to do and your goals. For instance if you want to go to White Jets/Weapons School/1 year remote/etc.. Your TODP can change as often as you want as well. What you're doing today may not be what you want to do tomorrow or your future plans could change as well. Put where you would llike to go in your current career field/where you would lke to go in the future, PME and oversease assignments. It's your career tell them what you want. Of course if your CC thinks you're shooting too high he'll let you know.

:D

Cooter

[ 28. July 2006, 00:48: Message edited by: Cooter ]

If you don't put something to the effect of "I want to go to IDE, then within 5 years become a DO, and eventually a Squadron CC" you're probably not going to get hooked up by the assignments team.

It's a world of haves and have-nots.

im not at the level to be asking about DO jobs.

I was putting in my preferences for an Alpha bill. I was wondering what type of comments I needed from the boss, and what type of comment I needed on the thing at all, which Hacker just helped me out with.

Guest Rainman A-10

Hacker's advice is spot on.

As sickening as it may feel, you need to ask for the big stuff first and then the smaller (closer rocks) second. Don't worry, they are not going to send you to IDE and make you a DO as a young Capt. All they care about is that you are saying you want to follow the standard path.

A level 2G defensive turn is not effective BFM. You have to be aggressive and mnvr in relation to the bandit. Big Blue is the bandit looking to take shots at your career. You want to keep them in front of your 3/9 if at all possible.

Here's the thing, there are unwritten rules that you can ignore if you want to. You must remember,however, you ignore them to your own peril. The "system" wants to promote people. The system looks for people it can promote. You must understand the discriminators in the system in order to BFM the rules and get what you want.

I'll say this, I tried to follow the rules without giving up the controls. That meant I always said I was interested in "leadership positions". I got my masters degree as a Lt. I didn't want to do it and it sucked but I knew it was required, regardless of rules of the day about masking or whatever. If you had a graduate degree you were not going to get punked for not having one when the rules suddenly changed. Easy decision.

I did PME in correspondence as soon as I could.

I asked questions about what the people who would be making the decisions about my life are looking at in my records. I did what I could to make it look like I was following the rules. In reality, I could've given two shits about anything except staying in the jet. The only thing that mattered was my records looked like I did give a shit.

Be advised, the rules change and you have to keep up. Don't get caught in the cool guy "That's bullshit, I'm not doing that. If the Air Force thinks I should do that then srcew them!" trap. You will lose. Big Blue doesn't care about your pride. Most of the things you are "expected to do" are really quite minor, especially when you consider the payoff of getting the assignments you really want.

In the end, I never did a staff tour, never once lost landing currency (although I came close when I went to SOS) and only had a job above the squadron level for the last 20 months of my career.

You have to be able to evaluate the bandit if you want to drive the fight to your advantage.

BL, talk to your boss and get his advice.

what about my current comments? are those (&^%^ ones? From the boss that is? I guess I thought it would read my like "outstanding choice" Knowing jack all about TODP, I wasnt thrilled to see the comments. I sound solid, but it doesnt seem that I am heads and shoulders above other applicants. Im on the VML next round and being a young 0-3 Im the V in vulnerable. I guess I foolishly only addressed my immediate desires... you know 3-8 years down the road. Thinking AFPC had the forethought to realize that a newly minted 0-3 wouldnt be eyeing the corner office.

[ 28. July 2006, 11:59: Message edited by: whyme? ]

Guest Jollygreen

Concur w/ Rainman's comments on PME and the MAS stuff.

Your boss will (or at least should) rewrite what words you've given in draft if he doesn't agree. That being said, a nice generic would be:

Primary vector:

"John is an outstanding T-38 (or whatever) IP (4-ship lead, etc) and has proven his leadership ability as a Flt/CC (asst Flt/CC, etc).

I strongly support his desire to move into the (whatever friggin assignment/aircraft you wanted) at Base X."

Alternate:

"If not available, then send to (whatever your #2 choice is).

Remarks:

"Long term, mark him for an IDE slot at first opportunity and then vector to Air Staff. Squadron command is in his future."

Don't worry, plenty of time to change that Air Staff part after you get the assignment.

Also, unlike an OPR/PRF, filling in all the white space isn't important.

Keep in mind, if you are doing your TODP for a DT Panel (as opposed to a simple communication w/ AFPC), the panel is simply going to place you against one of about 8 or 9 tracks...Joint Staff, Air Staff, Joint Other, MAJCOM, Wing/Base (aka flying), or Needs of the AF (there are others, I simply can't recall them). It really is a pretty simple process.

Now I'm really interested about Leadership thing. You're saying you should put a push for Sqdn level command as early as possible? Isn't that a little out of our sphere of influence as a young captain. I can understand a senior cpt or Majot but it just seems really early. Kind of "hey look at me I want to be a General". When I look at mine it goes out to about my 10 year point or so (Just pinned on Cpt). How far is too far I'm wondering. TODP changes with the wind for most poeple but some don't and just trying to get a different perspective than what I've been told so far.

Cooter

Guest Rainman A-10

I say again...the system wants to promote future leaders.

That means the system needs to pay attention early. The system loves to see the squares filled and the right comments from the commanders.

Like it or not, the system is what it is.

Learn the rules (the things the system uses to identify future leaders) so you can BFM the rules and at least maintain 3/9 advantage on your own career/assignment process, whatever you want that to look like. Part of a winning BFM technique is to take some risks and anticiapte the bandit's possible moves. The other part of successful BFM is to use the ability to anticipate and make your move first, thus driving the fight. Even a 0.69 sec advantage means gaining several degrees toward your goal. Combine these 0.69 sec advantages and soon you are saddled up and taking your best shot. You want the risks to be calculated. Minimize your exposure to the down side and maximize your advantage. Follow some simple rules like "never take a shitty assignment on the promise of a sweet follow on".

That's how I kept my landing currency for 20 years.

Just my two cents, take it or leave it.

Guest sleepy

Those are great words; problem is, I don't understand fighter talk. Could you please rephrase in terms of beer drinking or picking up women in a bar for this future airlifter?