what jet is this?

Originally posted by Rainman A-10:

That is the SH-1T Target.

Asides from which... what's your view on the Frogffot compared to the A-10? I am thinking about all facets of the mud moving business, including airframe survivability and the like. Like the A-10, I have always heard that the Su-25 can soak up a tremendous amount of punishment and still get home. Stories and pictures from Afghanistan during the 10-year war seem to confirm that. Just thinking aloud...

Guest TacAirDrvr

When I was at K2 they had a whole used Jet lot at the end of the runway! I wonder how much they're goin for?? I'd love to own one!

Guest Hydro130

Yeah, but it was cool to see the Flankers fly when they did... We got tours of them when I was at K2, nice machines...

Cheers, Hydro

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by Steve Davies:

what's your view on the Frogffot compared to the A-10? I am thinking about all facets of the mud moving business, including airframe survivability and the like.

No thoughts whatsoever. I know nothing more about the SU-25 than any ROTC cadet on the boards. Never flown it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Su-25_Frogfoot

General characteristics

Crew: one pilot

Length: 15.53 m (50 ft 11)

Wingspan: 14.36 m (47 ft 1 in)

Height: 4.80 m (15 ft 9 in)

Wing area: 30.1 m² (324 ft²)

Empty weight: 9,185 kg (20,250 lb)

Loaded weight: 14,600 kg (32,190 lb)

Maximum Take-Off Weight: 17,600 kg (38,800 lb)

Powerplant: 2× Tumansky R-195 turbojets, 44.18 kN (9,932 lbf) each

Performance

Maximum speed: 975 km/h (606 mph)

Combat radius: 375 km (235 mi)

Ferry range: 1,950 km (1,210 mi)

Service ceiling: 10,000 m (32,800 ft)

Rate of climb: 58 m/s (11,400 ft/min)

Wing loading: 584 kg/m² (119 lb/ft²)

Thrust/weight: 0.51

Armament

1× GSh-30-2 30mm cannon with 250 rounds

11 hardpoints for up to 4,400 kg (9,700 lb) of disposable ordnance, including rails for two R-60 (AA-8 'Aphid') or other air-to-air missiles for self-defence and a wide variety of general-purpose bombs, cluster bombs, gun pods, rocket pods, laser-guided bombs, and air-to-surface missiles

A-10

General characteristics

Crew: 1

Length: 53 ft 4 in (16.26 m)

Wingspan: 57 ft 6 in (17.53 m)

Height: 14 ft 8 in (4.47 m)

Wing area: 506 ft² (47.0 m²)

Airfoil: NACA 6716 root, NACA 6713 tip

Empty weight: 24,959 lb (11,321 kg)

Loaded weight:

Standard: 30,384 lb (13,782 kg)

On CAS mission: 47,094 lb (21,361 kg)

On anti-armor mission: 42,071 lb (19,083 kg))

Maximum Take-Off Weight: 50,000 lb (23,000 kg)

Powerplant: 2× General Electric TF34-GE-100A turbofans, 9,065 lbf (40.32 kN) each

Performance

Never exceed speed: 450 knots (520 mph, 830 km/h)

Maximum speed: 380 knots (438 mph, 704 km/h) at 5,000 ft (1,500 m) with 6 Mk 82 bombs

Cruise speed: 300 knots (340 mph, 560 km/h)

Combat radius:

On CAS mission: 250 nm (290 mi, 460 km) at 1.88 hour single-engine loiter at 5,000 ft (1,500 m), 10 min combat

On anti-armor mission: 252 nm (166 mi, 267 km), 40 nm (45 mi, 75 km) sea-level penetration and exit, 30 min combat

GAU-8 AvengerFerry range: 2,240 nm (2,580 mi, 4,150 km) with 50 knot (55 mph, 90 km/h) headwinds, 20 minutes reserve

Service ceiling: 45,000 ft (13,700 m)

Rate of climb: 6,000 ft/min (30 m/s)

Wing loading: 99 lb/ft² (482 kg/m²)

Thrust/weight: 0.36

Armament

Guns: 1× 30 mm (1.18 in) GAU-8/A Avenger gatling gun with 1,350 rounds

Hardpoints: 8× underwing and 3× under-fuselage pylon stations holding up to 16,000 lb (7,200 kg) and accommodating:

Mark 82, Mark 83, and Mark 84 general-purpose bombs or

Mk 77 incendiary bombs or

BLU-1, BLU-27/B Rockeye II, BL755 and CBU-52/58/71/87/89/97 cluster bombs or

GBU-10 Paveway II, GBU-12 Paveway II, GBU-16 Paveway II and GBU-24 Paveway III laser-guided bombs or

AGM-65 Maverick and AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missiles or

LAU-68 Hydra 70 mm (2.76 in) and 127 mm (5.0 in) rocket pods or

Illumination flares, ECM and chaff pods or

ALQ-131 ECM pod

-------------------------------------------------

from http://www.enemyforces.com/aircraft/su25.htm

It is intended to support ground forces, destroy heavy armored vehicles, fortifications and other targets. The Su-25 "Frogfoot" is some kind of competitor to the US A-10 "Thunderbolt" attack aircraft. Comparing them "Frogfoot" is significantly smaller, lighter but features more powerful armament and speed. Also the Su-25 has lighter protection than the "Thunderbolt". It is explained that US designers paid more attention to develop aircraft with good survivability while soviet designers developed smaller aircraft with better maneuverability that is harder to hit. Furthermore Su-25 "Frogfoot" was completed with more powerful turbojet engines instead of turboprop on the A-10.

Of course, that turboprop comment sends any credibility that site had in flames...but take it for what its worth :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Hydro130:

Yeah, but it was cool to see the Flankers fly when they did... We got tours of them when I was at K2, nice machines...

Cheers, Hydro

K2 was the bomb!! Nice small base w/o to much bullshit. (Still a few reflect belt nazis but you can't kill them all...but you can try)

Guest Hydro130
Originally posted by FreudianSlip:

K2 was the bomb!! Nice small base w/o to much bullshit. (Still a few reflect belt nazis but you can't kill them all...but you can try)

I got drunk with a bunch of Slovak Su-25 pilots in Piestany once, nice dudes, but scruffy! At first I thought they were migrant farm workers.

They didn't seem to mind my buying all the beer, it was a per diem bending 1 Koruny (about 32 cents) a glass! They gave me a couple of patches in return.

Cheers! M2

Guest AirGuardian

Wasn't there another American Ground Support variant that lost the contract to the A-10. Aaaannd that variant seems to be a "Frogfoot" Blue Print or vice versa I'm sure if you have seen one before....

Interesting how many things are copied, while others are not... I guess they didn't realize the A-10 won the contract... Wrong schematics, or just cheaper in the spy world!

Yeah it was the Northrop YA-9A.

YA-9A.jpg

ya9.jpg

from wikipedia:

It is alleged that the YA-9 more strongly impressed the Soviets than the US Air Force, and the Sukhoi Su-25 was largely based on spy footage of this aircraft. However, actual resemblance is very superficial and at any rate, work on what later became the Su-25 began in 1968, four years before YA-9's first flight.

you can read the entire wikipedia article here

[ 06. June 2006, 00:09: Message edited by: Chuck Farleston ]

Guest TacAirDrvr

Yup, K2 was the shnitz! We had Lans hooked up in the hooches, you were allowed to build your own stuff, food was great, you could wear anything you wanted, and the Nazi's (shirts/chiefs) were so out numbered by CREWDOGS, that it was great. And the whole no drinking thing was the only downside..........OR WAS IT?

I did see those Su-25's flyin every once in a while. They were pretty fast! They used to park those 29's across from us though over there on the ramp. One time I walked up and asked if I could look in side, and one of the Mx guys said not to touch anything because they didn't have an "arming button" he said all weapons are hot. WOW, no saftey, and I was staring at them every time I started engines.

[ 06. June 2006, 00:20: Message edited by: TacAirDrvr ]

Guest Hydro130

I was there one year ago...

The Flankers were nice looking beasts, no doubt... On the rare occasion sthey actually flew.

K2 at the time was the bomb, combat airdrops, and hitting dirt/PSP LZs was the norm on any given mission.

Leadership was provided by the ANG. F*ing great stuff, loved every minute of it.

Hydro

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by Steve Davies:

That's surprising. I suppose I expected you to be genned-up on it. My bad.

Really?

I'm surprised you're so surprised.

I'm not sure what exactly is "your bad". No need for blame seeking. I'll assume your response wasn't the standard Davies poke in the eye. I'll also assume you truly were flabbergasted that I was unable to compare the combat capabilities of the two aircraft. I've been taunted by journalists before...I know at least some of their tricks.

I know what the book says it can do. However, there is a very big difference between knowing what is written in a book and knowing the capabilities of an airplane. I have never flown it in combat and I have never worked with any of them in combat. Therefore, I feel completely unqualified to answer your question.

Never fear, I do know where you can find the answers you are looking for! Go to any airshow. There you will find hundreds of people milling around who will leap at the opportunity give you an answer. Be prepared to listen to all manner of impressive facts. Unfortunately, none of them have flown an airplane. They have read lots of books, which somehow makes them experts.

BL, I do not nearly enough about that hunk of crap to compare it's mission capability to any other jet, including the A-10.

Sorry.

Rainman

I don't do "taunting". I ask questions and then shut-up and listen to the answers. I took your response at face value since you always tell it straight and I had no reason to think that this time would be any different. So, yes, I was surprised. Why? Because I expected someone as experienced as you to have spent time flying in former Eastern Bloc countries and to have met, drank beer with and shared "10 per cent true" stories with them about your jet, their jet, moving mud and their experiences (or those of others) in the 10-year war between the Soviets and the Mujahaddine (Sp?). In that sense it was "my bad" for making that assumption.

Edited for spelling.

[ 06. June 2006, 13:24: Message edited by: Steve Davies ]