Fighter AD vs. Guard flying time

Guest Wicked27

Guest rumblefish_2
Originally posted by Wicked27:

One last question, if I stole a UPT slot from the guard, could I still become an FTU instructor?...or is that more of an active duty FTU transition to guard?

There are Guard FTUs out there (Kelly, Tucson, Klamath, etc.) so you could get hired by them or transition to them later, technically. Understand also that ANY fighter pilot has the opportunity to become an IP if he/she works hard enough. Once complete with that upgrade, you instruct in your squadron instead of an FTU. So, if you are interested in instructing, it doesn't have to be at an FTU.

Guest Hoser
Originally posted by rumblefish_2:

Once complete with that upgrade, you instruct in your squadron instead of an FTU. So, if you are interested in instructing, it doesn't have to be at an FTU.

Just remember that being an IP in an Ops squadron does not check the Instructor square like being an IP in the FTU / UPT.

Hoser

Originally posted by Hoser:
Just remember that being an IP in an Ops squadron does not check the Instructor square like being an IP in the FTU / UPT.

Hoser

Do you mean personnel / career wise?

[ 03. March 2006, 12:10: Message edited by: F-15E WSO ]

Guest Hoser
Originally posted by F-15E WSO:

Hoser

Do you mean personnel / career wise?

I was told by a fighter guard guy that in his 2 yrs of seasoning he got 800 hrs with 2 deployments. Is this even possible. And he said it was easy to extend AD orders for 30 days at a time. Does that depend on the unit?

[ 03. March 2006, 14:21: Message edited by: scoobs ]

Guest Hoser
Originally posted by scoobs:

I was told by a fighter guard guy that in his 2 yrs of seasoning he got 800 hrs with 2 deployments. Is this even possible. And he said it was easy to extend AD orders for 30 days at a time. Does that depend on the unit?

In his 2 yrs of AD flying, plus 2 deployments, I could see getting 800 hours. Even if he only got 200 hours per year while CONUS, he could easily average another 200 hours per deployement. I flew 255 hours in one 90 day deployment.

Hoser

Guest delta

Scoobs,

I believe A-10 MQT is longer than six months. It may vary with the unit and the pilot, but I was told to expect around 1.5 years.

Originally posted by delta:

I believe A-10 MQT is longer than six months. It may vary with the unit and the pilot, but I was told to expect around 1.5 years.

No way.

The A-10 FTU is six months compared to the 9 month Strike Eagle FTU. MQT is essentially a very condensed recap of the B course with more tactics thrown in -- the F-15E MQT is only three months.

Bozz?

Guest Hoser
Originally posted by scoobs:

Thanks for the info. It seems Eagle Guard units get 2 yrs of seasoning,Viper units 1 1/2,and Hog units 6 months. Is there a reason for that?

Scoobs,

I think you are mixing up some terms. Seasoning does not = MQT. When a dude talks seasoning, it's normally a Guard/Reserve dude that's right off the street (i.e. not a prior military pilot that made the transition). They'll put newbie pilot on AD orders for X amount of time, so they can build some hours/experience.

Hoser

Guest delta

Ya...my bad, I thought MQT was just another term for seasoning. I didn't know MQT and FTU was considered the same. Anyway, I was told six month or so in Tuscon and then around 1.5 at the unit or until I was up to speed. However, I would assume the 1.5 depends on the unit/pilot/funding.

Guest Hoser

Ya...my bad, I thought MQT was just another term for seasoning. I didn't know MQT and FTU was considered the same. Anyway, I was told six month or so in Tuscon and then around 1.5 at the unit or until I was up to speed. However, I would assume the 1.5 depends on the unit/pilot/funding.

FTU and MQT are not the same. FTU is conducted at the main training base (Davis Mothan for A-10's, Tyndall for 15C, Luke for 16's and Seymour Johnson for 15E's and the very basics of flying and employing the aircraft are taught.

Once the student graduates and shows up at his operational squadron, they go thru MQT and the focus is squadron specific. For example, in the E model FTU, we do not teach Maverick Operations. But the 391st Bold Tigers out at Moutain Home are the E-Model Maverick shooters, so their MQT program consists of a Maverick spinup, among other things.

Like Toro said, the basic composition is a review of what was taught at the FTU, but with a more tactical feel to it.

Hoser

[ 04. March 2006, 11:00: Message edited by: Hoser ]

Guest delta

Guest delta

ummm that post above was a screw up by the computer. Anyway, thanks for the clarification Hoser. I'm guard so my understanding was that MQT and seasoning were considered the same. You have FTU and then seasoning/MQT at your home unit. Either way..no worries....

Guest PilotKD
Originally posted by prazors:

0.7??!! WTF?! I hope that doesn't include taxi-ing the airplane, cause if it does then that sucks.

Our preflight is longer than .7.