Academy (USAFA) Tips

Guest love2fly

Guest Flight

I guess I need to learn to type, cause I really wasn't trying to give attitude. I guess thats the price you pay when you can't verbalize what you are trying to say, and just have to type stuff... And by no means was I trying to say anything bad about the Academy. I had an appointment there myself. I was just giving my opinion. Apologies to all..

Guest NU lax
Originally posted by ruckerstud:

First off, congratulations. Second, here is my advice on the zoo:

1. Be in shape when you get there, and when I say shape I mean running shape and PT shape, no one really cares how much you can bench in BEAST.

2. As for the first year, don't take anything personal, you are going to be wrong, just accept it.

3. And as for school, if you stay awake in class they will teach you everything you need to know. There are a lot of folks who will tell you if it can't be done by midnight, it doesn't need to be done, and they are right.

4. The other piece of school advice EI (extra instruction) is the good stuff.

Everyone else has pretty much covered to don't be one of those academy guys points.

First I did not go to the Academy, but I did go to a military college and I do have a close high school bud that went to the Academy that was a couple years behind me and he asked me the same question when he was getting ready. I pretty much gave him the same advice as Ruckerstud.

The only thing I would add is when it comes to the military side of things as a freshman, keep a low profile. You do not want to draw too much attention to yourself whether it is good or bad.

Just do what you are told and kick ass in the class room so you start of in the right direction with a good GPA. I had a lot of friends whose crappy freshman year GPA’s cam back to bite them in the ass when it was time to commision.

Congratulations and good luck.

Guest Aces-High

Oh something else I forgot to add. I've known a lot of people from the zoo and I've only not liked one of them. The others have been outstanding guys. Hopefully you'll fit in the latter catagory.

Again good luck and have fun while you still can! LOL sorry I can't stop!

Anyway, seriously congrats.

Guest Soar Above All

Congrats! I recently received my appointments as well. The best to you next year!

Guest downinthegroove

Enjoy it all and congrats to you. Don't let anyone dissaude you or get you down. What you are doing is awesome and fun. Sucks too but you will understand that after you are there. Work hard, learn your knowledge (Contrails), and realize, there will be beat downs regardless of performance. Oh yeah, just a heads up, Mighty Mach 1 is not as hard core as all say, and to that point many other squadrons are not as easy. Another lesson you will figure out! Congrats and make us proud!

Originally posted by Hydro130:

I wasn't a Zoo grad either (4-year full-ride AFROTC scholarship!

2. Congrats on your appointment. I personally couldn't have dealt with the whole "not partying and getting laid for four years" thing, hence I did not apply.

I gotta say that I don't agree with the whole notion of an "Academy a-hole." Sort of makes it sounds like since you went to the zoo you're expected to be an a-hole. When I was at alcohol and sex basic course....err...ASBC ...I met plenty of a-holes from ROTC and OTS. I also met plenty of cool Academy dudes...

Guest RaptorKeeper

It doesn't matter where you come from... I was lucky enough to experience both the Academy AND ROTC... I've seen s#$% bags come out of both sources, and great dudes as well. OTS, ROTC, USAFA, we're all still Lt's.

Remember one thing, just because you are at USAFA, despite what "THEY" tell you...

You're NOT the best and brightest...

You're the best and brightest of those that applied. (some folks never cared enough to even try to get in)

There's plenty of great people coming out of OTS and ROTC that'll give you a run for your money on active duty.

[ 06. May 2006, 23:08: Message edited by: RaptorKeeper ]

Originally posted by RaptorKeeper:

It doesn't matter where you come from... I was lucky enough to experience both the Academy AND ROTC... I've seen s#$% bags come out of both sources, and great dudes as well. OTS, ROTC, USAFA, we're all still Lt's.

Remember one thing, just because you are at USAFA, despite what "THEY" tell you...

You're NOT the best and brightest...

You're the best and brightest of those that applied. (some folks never cared enough to even try to get in)

There's plenty of great people coming out of OTS and ROTC that'll give you a run for your money on active duty.

Unless you explain otherwise, I'll read this to mean...

"I couldn't hack the program at the Academy, but I still did fine in ROTC."

That doesn't prove much.

Guest Rainman A-10

I can only say double congratulations. I never once noticed the USAFA guys being assholes like all these guys are talking about. I always thought it was cool that zoombags had their own bro network. Those ring knocker connections helped me indirectly more than once.

I won't say I know shit about what to do to succceed at the Zoo except that I was an RCH away from attending but backed out at the last minute because I was too much of a and wanted the "normal college" life. My best friend did attend (we were recruited together for different sports). He hated it even though he ended up as the captain of the hockey team. Back then, the fact that he hated it made me feel like I made the right choice when I would talk to him. Eventually, we were stationed together twice in two different fighter squadrons so where we went to college was an obvious complete wash when it came to our career paths. Ultimately, I probably had more "fun" in college (as in, I got laid a lot more than he did) but I also absolutely know I missed out on some fantastic opportunities that I will never have a chance to recover.

Here's the important part, I will encourage my boys to attend the Zoo if they show interest and get accepted. I would never tell them to do something that would be bad for them.

My only advice is stay fired up, make some good friends, keep a good attitude, manage your time wisely and try to take advantage of all the things you will only be able to do at the Zoo.

Guest RaptorKeeper
Originally posted by B-O-double-Z:

Unless you explain otherwise, I'll read this to mean...

"I couldn't hack the program at the Academy, but I still did fine in ROTC."

That doesn't prove much.

CraptorKeeper,

If you graduated from the Zoo (even if it took you 4.5 years) then preach on.

Your post, about attending ROTC and the Academy, led me to believe otherwise.

Just to clarify...

Did you go partially through ROTC, then 4.5 years at the Zoo, and still not get to (or through) UPT?

Bummer...

[ 07. May 2006, 13:24: Message edited by: B-O-double-Z ]

Guest Hydro130

Raptor...

Either way, you should know better than to preach advice to a dude like BOZZ.

That dude was out hacking the mish and crushing skulls when you were back learning pre-algebra.

Tread more carefully.

Hydro