Flying the T-43?

barney

Guest J Barnes
Originally posted by mikedjp:

I'm at Randolph, and I've yet to see or hear about anyone watching a movie during a training sortie, however I'm still in primary. They at least keep us busy thorugh Primary and Intermediate. After my first flight I regretted not getting Pensacola. I didn't go for pensacola because I wanted to try to get into an AFSOC 130..but they don't drop those to Randolph anymore, probably because of the above mentioned movie watching on cross countries.

Once again, don't compare primary and intermediate with a X-country! They're still dropping AC-130's. The last drop had 2 HC-130's drop as well. Where you getting your info?

Guest J Barnes
Originally posted by toastychicken:

Last drop had 3 HC's actually- no AC's though. You can still get AC's as an EWO, but its looking pretty thin as a nav.

One of those HC's was actually a C-130 to Yakota. I guess that was a reflection of the flight commander and his attention to detail. It was sorted out the next monday.

The nav and EWO x-countries are just vacations paid by uncle sam, there is a very little training during those flights. I guess the purpose was to "experience what a TDY was all about". Normal training flights never involve PFPS, nor would instructors be watching movies.

UNT is 6-7 months too long and the only value you get there is that you could navigate to where you are going should your systems fail over the ocean. Apparently they aren't teaching that anymore. The EWO appreciation portion is good training as well. Glad to see they are adding more of that. Other then that it is purely a weed out (which they do little of) rushing the fraternity program.

Guest Wxpunk

Torch is right with regards to the XC. It's basically a reward for completing 90% of the program. Very laid back, very low threat. Only true value is morale and TDY procedures.

As far as UNT being 3-4 months long...are you kidding me? No way, dude. You could probably scrape it down to 8 months maybe even 7, but no way down to 3.

Yur mom.

---------------

Wxpunk

Yeah maybe not 3 or 4 months, but if you put what I got out of nav training into a syllabus, you could probably fit it into 5 months.

1. Whiz Wheel - 2 days maybe

2. DR, Fixes - 2 weeks with sims

3. Approaches / Departures - couple weeks with sims

4. EWO appreciation - AKA...memorize threat info and get threat principles - 3 weeks

5. Low Level / Refueling principles / time control - Straight to T-1's with 15 flights - couple months....

And on top of that make each day have training the full time like UPT and actually wash dumbaces out of the program because they let to many through and it cheapens the career field.

Yur mom goes to college...

Guest elroy

I am cool with the no hurry approach. I think that it is fair to say that some folks who end up graduating maybe shouldn't, but ... it takes some folks longer to grasp stuff but in the end make good navs.

Besides I don't mind hanging out in SA for a year...not one bit.

I was wondering how you go about getting into a gig like that? Anyone on here know? Sounds like it would be pretty chill. And living in San Antone wouldnt be too bad either. Beats the hell out of Iraq.

Originally posted by AFUPTstud:

I was wondering how you go about getting into a gig like that? Anyone on here know? Sounds like it would be pretty chill. And living in San Antone wouldnt be too bad either. Beats the hell out of Iraq.

Like it was said earlier, you either have to be retired, which most of the pilots are retired AF or be one of the lucky few Maj/LtCol's who get that job.

Guest Rainman A-10

How is flying a T-43 a good gig?

Where do the bullets come out of that POS?

Just wondering...

I don't know what the track is into that job, but all of them are retired military and I'm sure that flying the 737 on active duty helps to get you there. There is a pilot in my 130 unit that flew the 737 for a tour out of Germany and said that some take that job when they retire.

I don't know if the San Antonio guys are part time or not, but I'm sure working for Southwest and then doing that as well would be cool...3 retirements.

The bad part would be that it has to be the most boring flying job around. 4 hour flights where people are telling you to change your heading by 1 degree every 5 minutes.....yawn.

Guest Wxpunk

Both AD and Retired fly our T-43's and I believe the retired guys are full time.

FYI, I called the Ops desk and the most hours any of the T-43 pilots have is just over 20,000. This particular pilot had about 9,000 hrs in the 737. This gentleman recently retired...so I guess he's retired retired. :D

----------

Wxpunk