$3.50 at Diego Garcia?

Clayton Bigsby

I recently passed through Diego, and ended up staying there a couple days. Voucher finally paid, and for each succeeding day after the first, only $3.50 was paid for per diem, instead of the usual $27.50. My only beef with this is that we were not a part of the deployed AEG at all, but rather a transient crew...in fact, Camp Justice (or whatever they were calling it) is completely shut down now, the tents torn down, and no free chow hall like you get at all the other $3.50 locations. Now Diego isn't exactly expensive, but...I was certainly paying more than $3.50 on sundries, incidentals and meals on a daily basis.

So, anyway, if you're paying for meals shouldn't the per diem be the full rate? If you're not a part of the deployed AEG (that isn't deployed there anymore anyway!!!), shouldn't you get the full rate?

Thanks

Guest jacobrichardsonqazwsx

Ah, boo-hoo. How many months do you NOT pay taxes b/c you landed in a "combat zone?"

I'm sure you more than make up for it on all your trips where you're NOT stuck at a tropical location for a couple days, getting PAID only $3.50 for being there!

Di

"2" to gearpig.

Chuck, would filing a missed meal form work in that case? After all, meals were missed if they werent provided. Id give that a try, and attach an explaination about the chow hall being gone, etc.

Ya this trend is starting to suck, as well as the "share a room" trend. After all, for every 50,000 people we screw over, we get a shiny new plane!

yea, I don't have the AMC point of view, so I can't talk to the frustration I'm sure you guys see on a monthly basis. My knee-jerk reaction was to be surprised that someone was *****ing about being paid 3.50 while at Diego for a couple days when they probably make a ton of extra money for spending a day in a combat zone. So I see what you're saying.

But, let's dial the scope back even further. How many stories do you hear of people taking advantage of the tax-free? I have heard of several where people purposely visit at the end of the month so they can get two months worth of tax-free. With people like that wasting money, I can understand a little why the reins are being pulled in a bit.

Originally posted by **********:

yea, I don't have the AMC point of view, so I can't talk to the frustration I'm sure you guys see on a monthly basis. My knee-jerk reaction was to be surprised that someone was *****ing about being paid 3.50 while at Diego for a couple days when they probably make a ton of extra money for spending a day in a combat zone. So I see what you're saying.

But, let's dial the scope back even further. How many stories do you hear of people taking advantage of the tax-free? I have heard of several where people purposely visit at the end of the month so they can get two months worth of tax-free. With people like that wasting money, I can understand a little why the reins are being pulled in a bit.

Maybe you need to get some deployments under your belt before you start telling stories that begin with "I have heard of...". Finance/travel makes it seem all money is coming out of their pockets. We don't do this job for the money, but we do feel like we should get what we deserve and have earned. If he lets finance/travel get by with this possible mistake, then they will never know they made one; therefore, committing it again. They are awfully quick to point out what mistakes we make when filling out their travel vouchers. This is a two-way street!

[ 26. November 2006, 21:31: Message edited by: herkbum ]

Originally posted by **********:

Unless I am reading your post wrong, DGar is not a "combat zone." You don't get the tax break until you pass the N 10 line. It is in the middle of nowhere, but I would take a deployment there over the Died anyday. $.50 beer...life was good!!!

Herkbum and Chubs...

I've been on a deployment or two, including Diego three times. So...I do know what I'm talking about and my second post on this thread was not meant to flame.

Bone co-driver, yea, you read the post wrong.

I've obviously touched a nerve here by going against the AMC grain! Didn't mean to flame anything. I'll stop now!

You didnt go against the AMC grain. The AMC grain is beginning to oppose legitimate benefits we are owed.

The nerve you touched was related to the fact the the Shoe Clerks who are upset because they dont deploy and get per diem are trying to put aircrew in the same boat. Trust me, the 3.50 rule is beginning to creep in everywhere...including ALASKA. Starting to get a little crazy. So, when they dont give someone legit per diem and opt for the 3.50 rule, it gets a tad annoying.

You didnt go against the AMC grain. The AMC grain is beginning to oppose legitimate benefits we are owed.

The nerve you touched was related to the fact the the Shoe Clerks who are upset because they dont deploy and get per diem are trying to put aircrew in the same boat. Trust me, the 3.50 rule is beginning to creep in everywhere...including ALASKA. Starting to get a little crazy. So, when they dont give someone legit per diem and opt for the 3.50 rule, it gets a tad annoying.

It just seems like (especially as a guard guy) you have to absolutely baby sit your pay. I can honestly say about 30% of my pay checks have an error...honest to God. And it is never in my favor.

It gets complicated when you deal with type 1 vs 2 BAH, but hey that another discussion.

Originally posted by GuardDude:

The nerve you touched was related to the fact the the Shoe Clerks who are upset because they dont deploy and get per diem are trying to put aircrew in the same boat.

Yeah, it must be a big conspiracy of Shoe Clerks making the rules. What's funny is I've deployed for longer times (and to worse places) when I was a non-flyer compared to now being a flyer.

I would assume the per diem change would be attributed to the whole "let's save money by doing more with less" attitude the AF has taken on to buy more F-22's.

The basic issue, as I see it, is the chow hall/deployed facility thing - 3.50 is used (after the first day) for places like the 'deid, manas, balad, bagram, etc that have a DFAC or chow heezy or whatever you want to call it, where you sign in upon entry and that's how the contractor gets the money for the food from the gov't. Otherwise, if you're on your own with the local economy (PK Inn, Mean Gene's, Sailor's Club, stupid-ass-rules-central Navy chowhall, CPO club, etc) where you pay for your food, then you collect FULL per diem. That's how it's worked for every TDY I've been on, until this one. I mean, if we go to the 'lik, it's 75 bucks a day every day, and there's a chow hall there too...but I gotta pay for it, and I can't always make it there.

It makes sense if you're a part of a deployed AEG, like at the 'deid, and if your meals are contracted and at no cost to you personally. However, when that's not the case...especially when our finance shoe clerks need to do their homework - AMC crews are NOT a part of a BOMBER expeditionary wing, and can't eat in their free chow hall anyway! And that wing (and chowhall) doesn't exist anymore anyway!...that makie no sense.

Oh well, guess I get to go argue with all the shoes on monday. Maybe I should show them pictures of the no-more-tents in Camp Justice, just to prove it's been abandoned. They'll probably say I photoshopped them. Retards.

And yes *******, I have seen those that choose to schedule themselves to get the 'double ching' at the ends of months, but I am not that guy - I disagree with it too. If I'm there around the end of the month, I've most likely already been there a couple times before in the month so it really makes no difference to me. Not really sure how that became subject matter appropriate for this issue/discussion, but ******, if it makes you feel any better, I don't do that.

Guest pcoandgo

That perdiem shift is garbaje. When you travel, you should be paid accordingly! My buddy just did the AK 3.50/day BS, and I couldn't believe it.

You shouldn't have to fight for those kinds of things. F-ing communists. I don't think anyone should take it lying down, though.

BTW I wanted to stress I'm not b1tching about per diem rates - hopefully there's no perception that I am. They are what they are and I don't get to set them. But it does bother me if I see Finance making up the rules as they go along, and it seems that's what's happened - and as mentioned, their mistakes rarely go in your favor. And they're the first people to suck back money from your check, without warning or explanation, if they even think they've ever overpaid you on something.

For many months as a young Airman I had random "Debts" listed on my LES, at random, and even if I went to Finance to ask WTF was going on, sometimes they couldn't explain it. A big deal when you're an E-2 living in the dorms, that can be a big percentage of your limited pay. Especially on top of your MGIB and other payments.

[ 26. November 2006, 01:05: Message edited by: Chuck Farleston ]