McChord Questions

Guest minz

This is actually my first time to post on baseops, but everyone has really given some great information on here. I just received my assignment to McChord on Friday. My guess is that I would be reporting possibly 6-7 months -- haven’t received my orders.

My question after some searching through other posts is, after reporting to McChord, how long will I be looking at until I get started. I have heard anywhere from 1 week to a month and a half.

Also, is there anyone who is there or has been there recently who can give my wife and me some good guidance to a good start there. Thanks!

Minz,

Once you report to McChord, you'll find that you will get to set your schedule initially. If you want to take two or three months to get mission ready, then you'll probably be able to drag your feet and make it happen. If you want to get started flying in the system, then you could probably get mission ready in under a month. There are quite a few local currency type things (classes, etc.) that have to be taken care of which is the reason it takes a little time.

Let me know what other specific questions you have.

As far as the local currency type stuff, does that include local flights, or just classes, briefings, etc?

As far as living goes, is there a typical place where married LTs choose to live. I tried to find out about the waiting list on base but it wasn't available on the web. Understanding that I won't be around much, just wanting to find the best place for my wife.

Also, I heard a rumor of a guy supposed to be reporting around May or June and was told that he would be deploying for 120 days immediately. Any truth to this? I am assuming, C17Driver, you are at McChord? Thanks

Guest AirGuardian

In regards to the 8th ChuckFlys17s,

Sometime this summer for deployment? early summer, late summer, or is it still in the AMC/TACC hat of tricks and games to dely telling you until you're overdue by yesterday...?

Curious for planning purposes of other things lurking around! I'm assuming it's to the stage heading Eastbound initially, or am I wrong?

Thanks, AG! PM me if you want to be discreet if necessary!

Chuck,

Thanks for the info. We were guessing 6-7 months from now for when I will report, so that sounds about right. Are there 2 or 3 squadrons up there? Any process in assignment to a specific squadron or is it just random? Also, I had heard about guys sticking around at CHS for 5-6 years because of SOLL2 etc. Is there anything at McChord that will allow them to be there longer than the standard tour?

I am sure that I can come up with a thousand questions, so I will stop there for now. Thanks again.

Minz

Minz,

There are 4 Active Duty squadrons are McChord (4th, 7th, 8th, 10th). The process of assigning new pilots to squadrons is pretty much random. There is a squadron at McChord that has a mission that will keep you there longer if you get in to the squadron and then into the program. You'll find out more about that from guys at Altus (probably).

[ 18. April 2005, 08:50: Message edited by: C17Driver ]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest minz

I have another question for the C17 guys up at McChord. As far as initial mission qual goes when newbies report there, does the time frame vary? C17Driver - you said that I could drag my feet for 2-3 months before becoming mission ready. Will I be responsible for this scheduling to make that happen? Reason for the question is that my wife and I just found out that she is expecting our first and is due around the first of the year. I am scheduled to RNLT 30 Oct and if I can make the 3 months work out, then I would be blessed enough to be there for my wife. Thanks for the time.

You'll pretty much be responsible for your initial schedule. A lot of the items that need to be accomplished are classes that are only offered once a week or once every other week as well as CBT's that need to be done. If you take too long, an ADO or DO might get involved, but as long as you show progress, they usually don't say anything.

Most of the squadron's are also really good about putting individuals on "baby hold". Usually it starts around two or three weeks prior to the due date and lasts until the baby is born. If complications arise, they may even start it earlier. (Of course this is all dependant on nothing else major happening - tsunami, earthquake, another war, etc.)

Guest spar91

minz, if you get to ktcm in oct, and get mission ready in 1-2 months, you get to keep the "baby's due" card and play it in jan. we have "baby watch" for expecting parents. as a FNG you won't be of much value (as in you probably won't get any *unexpected* deployments) - so being there for the new baby (congrats btw!) shouldn't be a prob. the 8as ends their deployment in the fall, kchs will take over until winter/spring time. so you shouldn't sweat any "expected" deployments either.

i hope this info puts your mind at ease.

and another place that many lt's live is dupont. it's just south of the base, and i know a bunch of lt's that live there, though the ones i know are not married. anyway, ask your real estate agent about that area too.

there are lots of ktcm pilots here, so you shouldn't have probs getting answers.

see you around.

:>

• 1 year later...
Guest tidal wave

Help! I'm moving to McChord this fall and want to find a great pre-school for my 3 year old. She attends a great school here, Tues & Thurs from 9:30 - 2:30. I haven't found anything like this there...all the schools I find only offer 2 hours each day. Is this all that's available?

I don't want full time childcare, just long enough for my daughter to do an art project and play with other children while mommy runs some errands.

I'm only looking in the areas closest to McChord, as we want to live either on base or pretty close to the base.

Thanks!

Guest C-21 Pilot

Tidal Wave,

My wife and I are flying up to McChord this Wed to do house hunting - as we'll be up there right around Christmas after Altus. I've been on the internet for about 4 months doing research on the area(s), as well, I have asked several of the folks on this forum who are stationed there.

I know you mentioned on-base housing...that's fine.

For off base stuff the norm is, and from what I've been told - the area around the base pretty much is Ghetto. In particular, Lakewood and parts of Spanaway I have been told to stay away from.

Anything to the north of Tacoma is going to be relatively expensive...around $180 per sq/ft. To the south, and the areas that I mention below, are a bit more affordable ~$120 sq/ft

Areas that I have either read or heard were good areas, and the areas we will focus our attention when we go up there with avg driving time, school districts, and housing markets my sole concern. Also, if you need a real estate agent, I have a family friend who works in the area...send PM to get her info:

1.) Puyallup (25-30 mins)

2.) Lacey (20-25 mins)

3.) Eatonville (45-50 mins)

4.) Olympia (25-30 mins)

5.) Tumwater (north or Olympia)

You may be able to find additional info on childcare from the Family Support Center...I took this from here

Child Development Center Hours: 0630 - 1830 Monday thru Friday Ages: 6 weeks - 10 years old

Street Address

578 Lincoln Blvd

(Buildings 560, 578 and 580)

McChord AFB, WA 98438

Phone/Fax/DSN

Phone: (253) 982-2958

DSN: 382-2958

Escape Zone Parent and Child Learning Center. Open Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 11:00 am and 1:00 pm to 3:30 pm.

Street Address

841 Fairway Road

Phone/Fax/DSN

Phone: (253) 982-8590

Phone: (253) 982-2695

Family Child Care Program The Family Child Care Program provides the McChord community with an alternative to other child development programs. This service is for those who prefer their child be taken care of in a home-like environment. Home day care providers are military spouses living in the McChord housing area. Each care provider goes through a barrage of training and certification requirements before they become fully licensed. There are care providers for a variety of situations, i.e., full-time, shift-work, part-time care and hourly rates for that quick trip to the market. Additionally, there are a number of care providers for you and your child to select from.

Street Address

560 Lincoln Blvd

McChord AFB, WA 98438

Phone/Fax/DSN

Phone: (253) 982-5762

DSN: 382-5762

New Parent Support Program Services for families during pregnancy and with children to age 3. Books, information, resources and activities provided during home visits by a registered nurse.

Street Address

Barnes Blvd

(Medical Clinic)

McChord AFB, WA 98438

Phone/Fax/DSN

Phone: (253) 982-3684

[ 31. July 2006, 13:57: Message edited by: C-21 Pilot ]

• 5 months later...
Guest kottlows

Sorry for the niche thread but I was wondering if anyone on the board is at McChord now flying 17s or is enroute? On my way there in a few months thanks to an awesome drop and have a few questions:

1. Is it worth your while to buy/rent a nice place as a new (single) co-pilot or is it more wise to have a crash pad and bank some good BAH for the first few years? That $1100 O-2 BAH seems pretty high but then again I've only been looking online at places to live.

2. Are you assigned to a squadron during C-17 school or is that decided after you arrive at McChord?

3. What's the current tempo like at McChord? Are co-pilots fighting for trips or are they pretty easy to get?

4. Is there anything radically different about life out in the NW? I've read about hippies and coffee on a few other threads? Anything else an Easterner should look out for?

Any advice/info is appreciated. Thanks,

-WARHAWK-

Guest trebuin

As far as TDY enroute, go to the TDY section of www.afdriver.com It's a rather interesting read and keep in mind your BAH drops off after 30 days of leaving your previous perm. station if enroute. Also read the letter of non-avail if you don't know everything about them. Can't help you much else with 17s other than to go to C-17 gouge link...C-17 study group is there.

If you're married, you're wife working at the local excuse sometimes helps to keep you from being an enroute TDY.

[ 08. January 2007, 20:52: Message edited by: Trebuin ]

Guest C-21 Pilot

1.) Don't sweat getting online gouge...you'll get plenty at Altus. case closed.

2.) If you wanna look at Condos, suggest taking a look at these sites:

www.equinoxcondos.com

www.trioseattle.com

www.seattle-realestate.com

www.allseattlecondos.com

Don't rent...buy. You waste your money renting. Housing market here isn't declining - we're looking at a 10-13% increase per year over the next 3 yrs (according to Money Magazine, Aug 06). In fact, I closed on my pad Aug 4, and moved in 6 Dec...have already made about 8% increase from the selling price (2754 sq/ft at $126/ft) - freestanding 2 story house in Lacey - not a bad commute as suggested above.

You can call the 62 OSS once you are at Altus to obtain your SQ.

Don't sweat the ops tempo. It's better than it has been, so don't complain if you don't think you'll fly enough. You will gain more info talking to the folks at Altus (find anyone at Charlie's).

No comment about the folks in the area. They don't bother me, I don't bother them - except my occasional 120 Db Robert Earl Keen...

Been here for exactly 1 month - love the area. Weather sucks, but who cares. I'm not educated enough to tell you any more - except the housing issues.

-Cheers

You'll love the traffic here during rush hour. ;) Swingin pretty much hit the nail on the head. The area around McChord and Fort Lewis is pretty ghetto (Lakewood, Stellicom, Tacoma, etc.). I grew up in Tacoma and now I'm about thirty minutes north going to school at UW and ERAU. Anyways, if you ever have any questions about the area feel free to shoot me a PM or post here. I'm just a college student, wanna-be officer (ROTC at UW), and a pilot hopeful. I've been stuck in this damn state my entire life though.

The northwest is a great place, I grew up there so I’m a bit biased. As Swingin said, take advantage of the outdoors while you are there. If you fish or hunt its a great place to be, even if you don't at least go salmon fishing once. As for the people they are generally laid back and keep to them self, and friendly once you get to know them. Perhaps the best thing about the northwest is the BEER, tons of breweries and brew pubs to go to

http://www.nwbrewpage.com/

Guest kottlows

I appreciate all the help guys. Looks like I'll be able to get back into a few of my pre-pilot training hobbies (besides drinking) again and enjoy the outdoors a little. I'm going to do some math and look into buying out there. I have a feeling that it might be better to save for a little while prior to buying so I don't get crushed by the interest from a mortgage. Getting a place in a "good" part of town seems like the thing to take away here. Thanks again.

-WARHAWK-

I live in Lakewood, and it really isn't that bad. It's worse closer to the bases. Most of the COPS episodes were filmed awhile ago, I guess Lakewood and the Pierce County Sherriff had some sort of agreement with COPS that had them filming a bunch here - before they got a clue and figured out it made their cities look bad. It isn't paradise, but it isn't nearly as bad as people say.

However there are plenty of other nearby places people live that are fine - University Place, Puyallup, Graham, Orting, Bonney Lake, Gig Harbor, Steilacoom, Lacey, Olympia, etc. Traffic can be a real factor, and having to drive on I-5 to get home during rush hour straight out blows, IMO. Plenty of places to live that don't deal with that.

C-21, we've had a pretty active and dramatic winter, far more than usual - usually it's rain/drizzle/mist, and less windy. However you'll love the summers - usually temps in the 70s and 80s, little humidity, sunny skies, etc. It's beautiful! It's usually nice enough to make most places not have air conditioning; however that can make those few days of 90+ or so really painful. But that only happens about 3 or 4 times all summer long.

[ 09. January 2007, 09:39: Message edited by: Jumper Bones ]

Guest kottlows

I'd like to have a place somewhat away from the city (~15-20 min); a back yard/ balcony with a view would be nice. Big enough to have some people over every now and then and in a neighborhood that wouldn't mind. A small house would be ideal (800-1000 sq ft.) but a condo/apt would be nice also. I'm just not a big fan of sharing walls/ceilings/floors with people. I'm going to have a look at those places tonight Jumper, thanks for the tips. Sounds like the climate will be great up there. I don't mind the rain either and it'll be nice to have seasons again. I'm off to go for a run in shorts and t-shirt down here at CBM and it's freakin' January!

-WARHAWK-

Warhawk,

Co-pilots are "fighting" for trips when home (as in, when the squadron isn't deployed). You'll want a place to live, not just to crash. Currently, guys aren't doing more than one trip per month (max)...Probably closer to one trip every 5 weeks or so.

C17 is right. I just got back from a trip, and probably won't be able to go back out for another 6 weeks or so. Kinda sucks. Oh, and if you're single, just live in seattle. I'm kinda disappointed i got my place in Federal Way, as I'm up in Seattle about 4 nights a week. I should have just gotten a place up there. Ah well, live and learn. You'll love it here btw. I've only met 1 person in my time here that hasn't loved it.

Originally posted by C-21 Pilot:

1.) Don't sweat getting online gouge...you'll get plenty at Altus. case closed.

2.) If you wanna look at Condos, suggest taking a look at these sites:

www.equinoxcondos.com

www.trioseattle.com

www.seattle-realestate.com

www.allseattlecondos.com

Don't rent...buy. You waste your money renting. Housing market here isn't declining - we're looking at a 10-13% increase per year over the next 3 yrs (according to Money Magazine, Aug 06). In fact, I closed on my pad Aug 4, and moved in 6 Dec...have already made about 8% increase from the selling price (2754 sq/ft at $126/ft) - freestanding 2 story house in Lacey - not a bad commute as suggested above.

You can call the 62 OSS once you are at Altus to obtain your SQ.

Don't sweat the ops tempo. It's better than it has been, so don't complain if you don't think you'll fly enough. You will gain more info talking to the folks at Altus (find anyone at Charlie's).

No comment about the folks in the area. They don't bother me, I don't bother them - except my occasional 120 Db Robert Earl Keen...

Been here for exactly 1 month - love the area. Weather sucks, but who cares. I'm not educated enough to tell you any more - except the housing issues.

-Cheers

If you haven't sold your place, you haven't made anything. The value of my house has gone up $60,000 in the last year, but I haven't made a penny on it. Nothing is worth anything until you actually sell it.

That said, real estate is almost always a solid investment if you hold it for a while.