Post Career Options

Jay32

Question

I tried searching the threads for this but is it possible to become an engineer after flying? For those who have followed this path what is some advice you can offer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 answers to this question

An engineer as in mechanical or electrical? Flight engineer? Engineer is a very broad term. I was a mechanical engineer for 5 years prior to flying. I could probably talk to it a bit having been in the industry. That is, if we're talking the same industry. 

An engineer as in mechanical or electrical? Flight engineer? Engineer is a very broad term. I was a mechanical engineer for 5 years prior to flying. I could probably talk to it a bit having been in the industry. That is, if we're talking the same industry. 

I wanted to be an engineer in the space industry if possible. I know it’s going to be difficult especially after working in aeronautics for a long time. I wanted to know the plausibility and if anyone has taken this path.

Disclosure: I am not an engineer. But I do have a demanding civilian career that is not related to flying, and requires a lot of schooling. 

These kinds of questions come up somewhat frequently on forums and I don't really know how to address them, because why wouldn't you be able to do whatever you want as a civilian after your military time? 

For reservists/ANG currently serving, admittedly, the "one weekend a month" doesn't seem to exist much for pilots, and all the USERRA regulations in the world won't make your civilian coworkers like you/promote you, but plenty of pilots still find a way to make all sorts of careers happen. If there's a very strong will, there seems to be a way. It just won't always be pretty or convenient.

I know of one guy who finished his residency as a medical doctor while serving as a guard pilot. Took a year off somewhere in between years to deploy, but made it happen. That's about as crazy of a situation as anyone could put themselves in, but he made it out the other end alive.

Edited by bs98

On 6/11/2024 at 3:44 PM, Jay32 said:

I wanted to be an engineer in the space industry if possible. I know it’s going to be difficult especially after working in aeronautics for a long time. I wanted to know the plausibility and if anyone has taken this path.

I mean, yeah. Why not? If you have the degree, go for it. However, you'll be applying for an entry level position. Do you already have an engineering degree/engineering experience? Are you already a mil pilot? There is no age limit to being an engineer, but it can be a tough gig depending on the industry. Space I'm assuming is in that category. Still, too many questions with your scenario to really give you any solid advice.