Visual Acuity Standards

Hi all,

Longtime lurker, first time poster; just want to take a minute to thank everyone for their contributions over the years as it has been incredibly helpful throughout this process.

After extensive searching between these forums, the USAF Medical Standards Directory, and the Air Force Waiver Guide I still have a question regarding visual acuity.

On airforce.com/careers under the Pilot FAQ’s in response to “What are the general qualifications to fly, including height?” the answer includes: “Have normal color vision with near visual acuity of 20/30 without correction and distance visual acuity of no worse than 20/70 in each eye, correctable to 20/20.”

Under the question “What are the vision requirements if I hope to be an Air Force Pilot?” the answer includes: “Pilots must have normal color vision, near visual acuity of 20/30 without correction, distance visual acuity of no wore than 20/70 in each eye correctable to 20/20 and meet other refraction…etc, etc.”

My confusion here lies with the comma. The response to the second question makes me think one can have 20/30 near visual acuity, so long as distance visual acuity is 20/70 or better and can be corrected to 20/20. However, the answer to the first question makes me think that both near visual acuity and distance acuity need to be corrected to 20/20.

I also found on page 14 (table 1) of the USAF MSD, approved on 13 May 2020, that distant and near vision in each eye corrected under the first column “FC I” are both listed as 20/20. Can anyone confirm that this is this still the most current USAF MSD, or is there a newer one that allows 20/30 uncorrected near acuity?

In short, due to a work accident that left me with a minor corneal scarring (will this need a waiver under unusual corneal topography?), my right eye has near visual acuity of 20/30 (distance unaffected and remains at 20/20), and I’m hoping that will satisfy the flight doc, but it seems like I might need to get a contact for my right eye to get it 20/20.

Any insights? Thank you.

Google “Air Force MSD” and look at Table One.  There are no uncorrected acuity standards for pilot applicants.  They were dropped about 5 years ago.  Now, there are refractive limits only and they are rather generous.  Your corneal scar may or may not need a waiver depending on specifics of the case.  You must have vision correctable to 20/20 in each eye at distance and near.  They almost never waive that for pilot applicants.