JROTC Experience

I retire in 2 months and starting to look at potential jobs.  One thing I was considering was JROTC instructor but wanted to see if anyone had any experience knowledge on what it's like.  From what I've found it talks a number of things including drill, marksmanship, teaching classes, among other things.  Are these classes similar to ROTC classes or do they expect me to roll right in and teach these kids calculus? How do the bonuses work?  One location has a $6200 stipend which I assume is a one time deal but also returns the AF contribution to the instructor? Just looking for any info possible.

I applied & was accepted into the pool. If nothing else, an accepted application is good for 5 years. Apply & give yourself the option. My understanding is you don't teach anything other than JROTC military classes, you shouldn't be teaching calc. That said, there are extracurriculars like field trips to AF bases, retreat ceremonies etc. you may have to lead. As far as the $$ work, I know the schools minimally have to close the gap between your retired pay & what you're currently making (base pay), but beyond that not sure on stipends. Someone else will have to chime in. 

Congrats on retirement BTW. 

44 minutes ago, Herkdrvr said:

I applied & was accepted into the pool. If nothing else, an accepted application is good for 5 years. Apply & give yourself the option. My understanding is you don't teach anything other than JROTC military classes, you shouldn't be teaching calc. That said, there are extracurriculars like field trips to AF bases, retreat ceremonies etc. you may have to lead. As far as the $$ work, I know the schools minimally have to close the gap between your retired pay & what you're currently making (base pay), but beyond that not sure on stipends. Someone else will have to chime in. 

Congrats on retirement BTW. 

Thanks...I'm excited about getting out and doing something else.  There's an open8ng where we plan to retire so I suppose I'll start the process and see what happens