AFR to AD UPT? Is it Possible?

Oxcart

Question

Here's my situation: I'm currently ineligible to apply to AD UPT because I was previously an officer in a different branch and still hold a commission in the IRR. However, I have spoken with an AFR officer recruiter and have confirmed it would be possible for me to execute an inter service transfer to the AFR. Does anyone know if it would be possible for me to apply to AD UPT as an AFR officer? Another thing to consider is I would incur a 3 year obligation in the AFR and would need an approved conditional release to apply for AD UPT. The recruiter said these are almost always approved but I am naturally skeptical. Appreciate any insight others may have.

EDIT: Just had an AD recruiter tell me this would require an IST. The AFPC website that describes ISTs says it's a program that allows "currently commissioned officers from other uniformed services to apply for transfer." Is the AFR really considered a different uniformed service than the ADAF for the purposes of an IST? I'm skeptical.

Edited by Oxcart

12 answers to this question

You’d need to initiate conditional release from your service’s IRR, contingent on commissioning into Air Force Reserve (which requires scrolling). Before starting this process, though, you’d need to get a promise of hire by a Reserve squadron, which at the front end is the same process as an off the street hire, assuming you were not a rated pilot in your previous service.

AFAIK: IST applies only to regular to regular moves, otherwise it’s conditional release for reserve to reserve; but whatever they want to do to get the process done doesn’t need to concern you as long as you don’t have a break in service if at all possible. 

Edited by Chida

16 hours ago, Chida said:

You’d need to initiate conditional release from your service’s IRR, contingent on commissioning into Air Force Reserve (which requires scrolling). Before starting this process, though, you’d need to get a promise of hire by a Reserve squadron, which at the front end is the same process as an off the street hire, assuming you were not a rated pilot in your previous service.

AFAIK: IST applies only to regular to regular moves, otherwise it’s conditional release for reserve to reserve; but whatever they want to do to get the process done doesn’t need to concern you as long as you don’t have a break in service if at all possible. 

To clarify, I was referring to executing an IST to the AFR as a non rated officer and applying to AD UPT from there. I understand I would need to find a sponsoring squadron if I wanted to go rated, but I don't believe that's the case with non-rated. As for getting an approved conditional release from my current branch, that would be fairly easy. 

That would be an unnecessary step, IMO. Here’s what I would attempt to do: get a conditional release via DD368 from your present service’s IRR. When you receive it back, then start the RegAF accession process. This way you’re now eligible bc your losing service has granted permission. 

Edited by Chida

54 minutes ago, Chida said:

That would be an unnecessary step, IMO. Here’s what I would attempt to do: get a conditional release via DD368 from your present service’s IRR. When you receive it back, then start the RegAF accession process. This way you’re now eligible bc your losing service has granted permission. 

I wish I could but I'm not eligible since I already hold a commission. The RegAf's accession guidance explicitly states that current and former officers are ineligible, so even if I were to resign my commission I wouldn't be eligible. Hence why I'm considering the workaround of entering the AFR first. 

If what you’re saying is correct, then you’d still be a current officer and thus ineligible. If this recruiter is trying to get you enlisted in the reserve, you’d still be a former officer. Going back to your initial question, “can a reserve officer apply to a RegAF UPT board?” IDK, but since you say current and former officers need not apply, it seems you have your answer. 

45 minutes ago, Chida said:

If what you’re saying is correct, then you’d still be a current officer and thus ineligible. If this recruiter is trying to get you enlisted in the reserve, you’d still be a former officer. Going back to your initial question, “can a reserve officer apply to a RegAF UPT board?” IDK, but since you say current and former officers need not apply, it seems you have your answer. 

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The guidance says "Prior Service commissioned officers or currently serving commissioned officers assigned to a Sister Service" are ineligible. Since it specifies "sister service" I would have thought that an AFR officer would be eligible as the AFR is not a sister service. 

Your best bet is to discuss with the POC (there’s a GS at AFPC who handles these boards). I say that bc it’s unclear verbiage, ie it can be read 2 ways. I’d hate for you to go down a path only to find out you were never eligible in the first place due to a misunderstanding. 

1 hour ago, Chida said:

Your best bet is to discuss with the POC (there’s a GS at AFPC who handles these boards). I say that bc it’s unclear verbiage, ie it can be read 2 ways. I’d hate for you to go down a path only to find out you were never eligible in the first place due to a misunderstanding. 

That's a good idea--thanks for the input. Will definitely reach out to them.

@Oxcart reviving this thread to ask what you found regarding going from AFRC to AF AD? 

I asked a while back for someone who was hired by AFRC then wanted to switch to AD for a specific program unavailable in the guard/reserve. 

Edited by bs98
More info

20 hours ago, bs98 said:

@Oxcart reviving this thread to ask what you found regarding going from AFRC to AF AD? 

I asked a while back for someone who was hired by AFRC then wanted to switch to AD for a specific program unavailable in the guard/reserve. 

AFICT it is not possible. AD UPT accessions policy explicitly disqualifies AFRC officers. Maybe there are specific one off cases/programs I'm unaware of. 

2 hours ago, Oxcart said:

AFICT it is not possible. AD UPT accessions policy explicitly disqualifies AFRC officers. Maybe there are specific one off cases/programs I'm unaware of. 

inter component transfer is never allowed? This would be a switch to AD after or during attending UPT as an AFRC hire.

E.g. someone who got hired by a reserve unit and completes pilot training but wants to switch to AD for whatever reason

On 4/23/2024 at 10:16 PM, bs98 said:

inter component transfer is never allowed? This would be a switch to AD after or during attending UPT as an AFRC hire.

E.g. someone who got hired by a reserve unit and completes pilot training but wants to switch to AD for whatever reason

What you are describing would not be captured in the AD UPT accessions guidance since the individual in question has already completed or currently is in UPT.

The scenario you are describing would fall under the USAF IST program, which is currently suspended. https://www.afpc.af.mil/Career-Management/IST/