what's the best order for pilot quals.

wikz

Good afternoon aviators! As mentioned in the title, I was curious if there was a specific order that would maximize test scores. Hoping to get picked up for pilot, I need to start working on getting my PPL, taking the AFOQT, and the TBAS. To go more in depth, I will be starting full time college in a couple months (freshman) and part time enlisted in the guard. My plan so far was to work on the qualifications during summertime, because I think it would be hard to juggle college, work (ANG), and studying for one of the three. (PPL/AFOQT/TBAS)

Is it a good idea to attempt one of the three only in the summertime to give my full attention to the tests, or is it possible to do while in school?

Is there an order in which I should take the tests? (ie. get your PPL first to give you GK when you take the AFOQT and TBAS in the future)

what was your guys' sequence? did it help, or did you complete them whenever without an itinerary?

TIA, wikz.

I think only you can answer whether or not you will be able to handle it all at the same time or if you need to break it up.

When I took the AFOQT/TBAS, I already had my degree, PPL, and IFR. I also learned about this process much later than you, so we are coming from different life stages.

I thought that some of the aviation sections of the AFOQT were a walk in the park due to the general knowledge I already had from getting my licenses.

YMMV. For what it’s worth, most people I ran into throughout the process (trying to get hired by guard/reserve units) had at least a private pilot license before they took the AFOQT. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/20/2023 at 5:25 PM, wikz said:

Good afternoon aviators! As mentioned in the title, I was curious if there was a specific order that would maximize test scores. Hoping to get picked up for pilot, I need to start working on getting my PPL, taking the AFOQT, and the TBAS. To go more in depth, I will be starting full time college in a couple months (freshman) and part time enlisted in the guard. My plan so far was to work on the qualifications during summertime, because I think it would be hard to juggle college, work (ANG), and studying for one of the three. (PPL/AFOQT/TBAS)

Is it a good idea to attempt one of the three only in the summertime to give my full attention to the tests, or is it possible to do while in school?

Is there an order in which I should take the tests? (ie. get your PPL first to give you GK when you take the AFOQT and TBAS in the future)

what was your guys' sequence? did it help, or did you complete them whenever without an itinerary?

TIA, wikz.

Recommend you get you PPL first. Accumulate whatever hours you can afford the next few years. You can’t apply for a UPT slot until your last year of college anyway, so start studying for your AFOQT as you near that timeline. You can only take it twice, so put in the effort preparing for it. Also, and equally important, spend these next few enlisted years getting to know the pilots in your unit. Don’t be the annoying guy, but rather be the bro they want to hire and keep around. Try bringing a bottle for the bar, on a drill weekend, every once in a while.  I bet you’ll be invited to stay for some drinks, let them know you’re interested in flying with them. 

• Upvote 1

appreciate the advice and the additional info @O Face! what is your definition of an annoying person at a unit? I understand you should "never miss an opportunity to st*u" but how are you able to make connections and let people know what you want to be in the future, without feeling like your imposing.

I think about that a lot because I would like to connect with the pilots to a certain level where if they see me around the unit, they say "hey its a bro." and not "oh its Kawika, the annoying guy that keeps bugging me asking questions about my job and letting me know his aspirations." (maybe I'm getting over my head assuming pilots are distasteful about talking to others)

funny story. the only opportunity I had talking with a fighter pilot, I stuttered and shook so hard I almost tripped on my way out. I kinda geek out about it. Me personally, I think pilots are rockstars and I would hate to bother people and implement a wrong face/ characteristic at the unit I'm about to get into.

Edited by wikz

6 hours ago, wikz said:

appreciate the advice and the additional info @O Face! what is your definition of an annoying person at a unit? I understand you should "never miss an opportunity to st*u" but how are you able to make connections and let people know what you want to be in the future, without feeling like your imposing.

I think about that a lot because I would like to connect with the pilots to a certain level where if they see me around the unit, they say "hey its a bro." and not "oh its Kawika, the annoying guy that keeps bugging me asking questions about my job and letting me know his aspirations." (maybe I'm getting over my head assuming pilots are distasteful about talking to others)

funny story. the only opportunity I had talking with a fighter pilot, I stuttered and shook so hard I almost tripped on my way out. I kinda geek out about it. Me personally, I think pilots are rockstars and I would hate to bother people and implement a wrong face/ characteristic at the unit I'm about to get into.

What enlisted career field are you in currently?  Do you interact with the pilots at all?  If so, wait for an opportunity when they’re not busy or in a rush, and respectfully introduce yourself. Tell them you’re hoping to apply as soon as you finish up college. Nothing cosmic, no secret formula. You already know what annoying looks like. Don’t follow anyone around like a lost puppy dog, don’t be obnoxious, and don’t act entitled. Be helpful, respectful, funny, and humble. Offer to help the Lt’s clean up the bar or help DD after a Sqdrn function. The fellas are going to remember you come interview time.  I know it’s easier said than done, but don’t be nervous talking to the pilots. Remember we’re always looking for our next pilot and like hiring our own folks, so be the guy that you’d like to work with. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, O Face said:

What enlisted career field are you in currently?  Do you interact with the pilots at all?  If so, wait for an opportunity when they’re not busy or in a rush, and respectfully introduce yourself. Tell them you’re hoping to apply as soon as you finish up college. Nothing cosmic, no secret formula. You already know what annoying looks like. Don’t follow anyone around like a lost puppy dog, don’t be obnoxious, and don’t act entitled. Be helpful, respectful, funny, and humble. Offer to help the Lt’s clean up the bar or help DD after a Sqdrn function. The fellas are going to remember you come interview time.  I know it’s easier said than done, but don’t be nervous talking to the pilots. Remember we’re always looking for our next pilot and like hiring our own folks, so be the guy that you’d like to work with. 

I'm currently not enlisted yet. I am taking my asvab here shortly and hoping for an open f-22 crew chief or life support slot to get the most exposure to the pilots. thank you for the insight though! I will try to utilize the advice when the time comes.

6 hours ago, wikz said:

I'm currently not enlisted yet. I am taking my asvab here shortly and hoping for an open f-22 crew chief or life support slot to get the most exposure to the pilots. thank you for the insight though! I will try to utilize the advice when the time comes.

Gotcha. Good luck to you then. Sounds like you’re on the right track.