Scrolling from USAF IRR to US Army National Guard

I'm a former USAF active duty O-3 considering a slot in my state's Army National Guard unit.  I separated at four years, with another four on my DD-214 for my MSO in the IRR.  Can someone elaborate on the process to be pulled out of USAF IRR and placed in the Army Guard?  Is it similar to the process that would occur if I decided to join an Air Reserve or Air Guard unit?

You’d do a conditional release DD Form 368 with the ARPC general as the releasing authority on the USAFR side. Call ARPC to get the process going. It’s supposed to work like this: you fill out the form as much as you can with your recruiter’s help, general signs the release and sends it back to you. Once your NG unit commissions you, have their HR fill out rest of form and send it with the documents proving your commissioning (orders, oath form, etc) to ARPC. ARPC will then backdate a discharge from USAFR the day prior to your Army commission. This will prevent a break in service. 

He shouldn’t have a break if AFPC/ARPC did it right. It should have been RegAF to IRR directly. But historically they do not do it right. If he finds that they gave him a break during that time he was in the IRR he would have a good BCMR case, I’d think.

15 hours ago, Chida said:

He shouldn’t have a break if AFPC/ARPC did it right. It should have been RegAF to IRR directly. But historically they do not do it right. If he finds that they gave him a break during that time he was in the IRR he would have a good BCMR case, I’d think.

When I’ve talked to AFPC in the past they claimed that I did not show up in the system as a non-participating reservist (S7 is the PAS code I believe).  When I pursued this further they actually told me that I was not scrolled into the IRR at all and that I had been completely discharged upon separating.  However when I go to milconnect, it shows my status as IRR.  Also multiple recruiters have run REDD reports on me and it also shows me as being in the IRR.  So my question is, will AFPC even complete a 368 for me if they claim I don’t have any status with them?

Probably not. They’ll claim you were never in the IRR since you didn’t get a reserve commission. So I’d proceed as if you’re being accessed as a civilian, unless you want to try to get ARPC to acknowledge that you should have been in the IRR and then place you there, but I’ll say it will be a long time (or maybe never) before you’ll see a resolution. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2023 at 6:06 PM, Chida said:

Probably not. They’ll claim you were never in the IRR since you didn’t get a reserve commission. So I’d proceed as if you’re being accessed as a civilian, unless you want to try to get ARPC to acknowledge that you should have been in the IRR and then place you there, but I’ll say it will be a long time (or maybe never) before you’ll see a resolution. 

So as you guessed, ARPC won’t sign the 368.  Here’s their email to me:

“We cannot complete the DD368 since it is stating that we authorize your transfer, which we cannot do because you no longer belong to the IRR. you are discharged and free, and your MSO will carry over.”

Any advice?  I even sent in a copy of my 214 with the request, and specifically explained that by law I have to serve my MSO in the IRR once released from active duty.  I don’t understand why they won’t just sign the damn thing, it matters not to them.