An updated what are my chances (2023)

Shadows

I posted over a year and a half ago and after many delays I have more things to show but do want to gauge where I stand in all this.

Goal: F15 Unit. I think I'd also find enjoyment with an F22 unit but there are a small handful of these on the Guard & Reserve side combined. I've also given some thought on to applying for a C-17 unit (heavy) or a UH-60 unit (rotor).

College & GPA: 3.66 GPA, Criminal Justice

AFOQT: P: 98 / CSO: 73 / ABM: 95 / AA: 86 / V: 70 / Q: 90

PCSM: Not taken yet, anticipating a decent score due to hours

LORs: Board member from CA POST Commission, Chief of my city's Police Department (the letter was written to me directly, I do not think I can have it re-written to a unit like some units ask for), Ex-Fire Chief of my city's Fire Department, my city's Sheriff

Flight Hours & Experience: 230+ w/ PPL Single Engine & Instrument. Commercial & CFI scheduled in 2 month (I expect a unit will be open for applications once I have about 400/500 hours and as a CFI)

Extracurricular: Competitive & Non-Competitive Swimming (not college-level), Non-Competitive Snowboarding 10+ years

Volunteer Experience: Police Department Volunteer (non-sworn, 4 months) & Reserve Deputy (non-sworn, 1 year and ongoing)

Leadership Experience: Leadership role in a private non-profit flying club with multiple aircraft (not official yet but including it now as it will likely be official when I apply)

The "negatives":

1) I have some concern over the Verbal since I've read that units want 90+ in Pilot and 80s+ across the board otherwise. I like to think I did good enough to get looked at considering English is not my first language (I am a native US Citizen with US Citizen parents) although I'm a bit apprehensive with mentioning that to any squadron in my initial letter. The CSO score is also close to that Verbal score but I don't think that it will be heavily looked at since I'm not trying to be in such a position where that score would really be applicable.

2) I am starting to push into my late 20s which means the clock is ticking but I'm not too stressed about the age specifically whereas employment history... My employment history compared to others my age is probably not very good and might raise an eyebrow or two with units. I worked for one employer for 3+ years and got laid off due to COVID, I have not since returned to work since I wanted to focus completely on advancing my aviation career and finishing university. I've been able to sustain myself financially thankfully but I do worry that units will think negatively of my lack of work experience.

Edited by Shadows

1) Can't speak for the fighters or rotors, but I can say that your scores look competitive to me on paper for heavies (pending PCSM). My AA and Q were not as high as yours. You have more flight hours than me. We are the same age, and I just got picked up by a heavy squadron. If I'm being picky, I'd like to see more leadership roles... Sounds like you have good LORs. 

2) If you can explain the employment history thing confidently and honestly during the interview (if they ask about it), I could see it working out OK. Yeah, it maybe does raise some eyebrows (how are you paying for university/flight hours?) Your biggest concern will be how you personally stand out from a group of 100-250+ applicants. Are you able to visit squadrons and shake some hands? Personal connection and excellent social interactions are a HUGE part of this process that I don't think many people realize. Somebody may be a little bit more qualified than you on paper (straight 99s on scores, amazing LORs from O-6+) but if they aren't confident, if they are awkward, or if they are weird, it'll be hard for the squadron to really connect to that kind of person.

Hope this helps/gives some perspective.

Speaking from no prior experience. I have done some reading on the forums, comparing peoples chances, and I am gonna second tomato on the leadership experience. Your LOR's, and flight experience are definitely strong. Your scores are pretty adequate, but when applying for fighters, there are people that have the same or even higher scores. if you want to improve you chances to get an interview or even get hired, I would check out https://bogidope.com and buy their package to improve your application. 

If you're looking for strictly f-15 and f-22, bogidope also lists the squadrons that are hiring. But the older you get the less appealing you are to units, so I would say to not be so picky, and only apply to f-15 and f-22 units. shoot you app everywhere!

like everyone else after me that replies to this topic, assuming your going ANG, they are notorious for hiring from within. not saying you should enlist, but RUSH THE UNIT your interested in. get your face around the base, converse with people, but never miss an opportunity to STFU.

Best of Luck! 

Edited by wikz

On 4/11/2023 at 5:36 PM, wikz said:

Speaking from no prior experience. I have done some reading on the forums, comparing peoples chances, and I am gonna second tomato on the leadership experience. Your LOR's, and flight experience are definitely strong. Your scores are pretty adequate, but when applying for fighters, there are people that have the same or even higher scores. if you want to improve you chances to get an interview or even get hired, I would check out https://bogidope.com and buy their package to improve your application. 

If you're looking for strictly f-15 and f-22, bogidope also lists the squadrons that are hiring. But the older you get the less appealing you are to units, so I would say to not be so picky, and only apply to f-15 and f-22 units. shoot you app everywhere!

like everyone else after me that replies to this topic, assuming your going ANG, they are notorious for hiring from within. not saying you should enlist, but RUSH THE UNIT your interested in. get your face around the base, converse with people, but never miss an opportunity to STFU.

Best of Luck! 

Ill just say that this advice, the rushing and bogidope, has been regurgitated so many times on every available channel that an increasing amount of units are no longer accepting any rushing and can usually tell applicants that have utilized bogiedopes services from those that have their own professional development.

1 hour ago, theoriginalturk said:

Ill just say that this advice, the rushing and bogidope, has been regurgitated so many times on every available channel that an increasing amount of units are no longer accepting any rushing and can usually tell applicants that have utilized bogiedopes services from those that have their own professional development.

Honestly, I’m not surprised. Lots of people are really wanting these spots. I know of a HEAVY unit that had over 150+ applicants. They didn’t allow any formal rushes. They decided to weed out potential interviewees by scores at first. That left them with about 40 solid packages to choose from. How do you choose a group of people to come in for an interview when everyone has stellar scores, amazing LORs, and such?

Edited by atomatoflames
1st paragraph is relevant enough.

Yeah.. The ANG is no secret anymore. If units are starting to avert rushing, honestly I think the best thing to do is like I said, shoot your application to any unit you'd be interested in, and hope to land an interview. If not picked up, asking for feedback on what you could've done better is also a great way to improve and critique things.