ACTIVE PSDM 23-54: 2024 Active Duty Flying Training Board

Recaged

On 8/28/2023 at 11:22 PM, Dusty318 said:

Yeah, I pulled that language from the table. Good on you for digging into the AFMAN though. It's hardly "light reading"...

There’s a waiver/ETP for everything. If there’s a will, there is a way. 

On 11/8/2023 at 9:02 PM, FloridaMan26 said:

Yeah 40% leadership, 30% adaptability/potential, 30% aptitude(METRICS)

Yeah I guess my question is what constitutes a perfect score vs how do they subtract points?

I noticed the starting point is 7.5, so what are the thresholds for adding/subtracting. I.e. I assume Wing ranking of #1 is worth a certain amount of points, I assume a certain AFOQT/PCSM scores equates to a certain amount of points, etc etc. Or am I assuming incorrectly? Also, how do they score subjective things such as letter of rec and personal letter?

Edited by goboldtigers
  • Like 1

Hello all,

I am not new to the forum, I’ve just been lurking and posting here and there.  I figured I’d post my stats below.  I am a UPT (#1) or ABM (#2) hopeful.  As weird as it sounds, I was essentially an enlisted ABM and it was dope!

Current MQ-9 IP with ~1200 hours

AFOQT Pilot:  99

PCSM:  96

PPL with 99 civ hours

UFT Wing Strat:  #2/3

M.S. in Unmanned Systems (Embry-Riddle online):  3.9 GPA

YG:  2018

Some things I included in my package:

OPR Strats listed on 215

o   2021 (JrCGO): #8/341 (Wing CC)

o   2022 (JrCGO):  #1/42 (Sq CC), #2/134 (Group CC), #5/350 (Wing CC)

Awards listed on 215, Personal Statement, and LORec

o   Officer Awards:

- 3x Quarterly awards (2x squadron, 1x group)

- 1x Annual Award (squadron)

- 3x Superior Performer awards (2x squadron and 1x joint/coalition exercise)

o   Enlisted Awards:

- Commendation Medal as a SrA

- 3x Quarterly awards (group equivalent)

- Commandants Award in ALS

Additional items:

Safety School Grad (2022)

Electromagnetic Course Grad (2022)

I am extremely thankful to be an applicant this year and hope there are more selects than last year.  I’ve noticed scores are not everything.  My buddy applied last year with a 99 PCSM/98 Pilot and was not selected.  Good luck to everyone.  We got this!!

Edited by Nightmare2773
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nightmare2773 said:

Happy Veterans Day everyone,

I am not new to the forum, I’ve just been lurking and posting here and there.  I figured I’d post my stats below.  I am a UPT (#1) or ABM (#2) hopeful.  As weird as it sounds, I was essentially an enlisted ABM and it was dope!

Current MQ-9 IP with ~1200 hours

AFOQT Pilot:  99

PCSM:  96

PPL with 99 civ hours

UFT Wing Strat:  #2/3

M.S. in Unmanned Systems (Embry-Riddle online):  3.9 GPA

YG:  2018

Some things I included in my package:

OPR Strats listed on 215

o   2021 (JrCGO): #8/341 (Wing CC)

o   2022 (JrCGO):  #1/42 (Sq CC), #2/134 (Group CC), #5/350 (Wing CC)

Awards listed on 215, Personal Statement, and LORec

o   Officer Awards:

- 3x Quarterly awards (2x squadron, 1x group)

- 1x Annual Award (squadron)

- 3x Superior Performer awards (2x squadron and 1x joint/coalition exercise)

o   Enlisted Awards:

- Commendation Medal as a SrA

- 3x Quarterly awards (group equivalent)

- Commandants Award in ALS

Additional items:

Safety School Grad (2022)

Electromagnetic Course Grad (2022)

I am extremely thankful to be an applicant this year and hope there are more selects than last year.  I’ve noticed scores are not everything.  My buddy applied last year with a 99 PCSM/98 Pilot and was not selected.  Good luck to everyone.  We got this!!

Your stats should be perfect for UPT, but I'd be worried they'll give you ABM since you put it on there and they need good ABMs 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, goboldtigers said:

Your stats should be perfect for UPT, but I'd be worried they'll give you ABM since you put it on there and they need good ABMs 

Thank you!  I'd honestly be happy with either,  UPT is by far my #1, though.  My wife is from the PC area where the ABM schoolhouse is, so I know she'd love to be there for a few months, maybe even years if I "FAIPd" there.  We shall see if I am even picked up, though.  Just praying the numbers are higher this year.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nightmare2773 said:

Thank you!  I'd honestly be happy with either,  UPT is by far my #1, though.  My wife is from the PC area where the ABM schoolhouse is, so I know she'd love to be there for a few months, maybe even years if I "FAIPd" there.  We shall see if I am even picked up, though.  Just praying the numbers are higher this year.

if you don’t get picked up, we’re all screwed lol

• Haha 3

On 11/9/2023 at 9:04 AM, goboldtigers said:

Yeah I guess my question is what constitutes a perfect score vs how do they subtract points?

I noticed the starting point is 7.5, so what are the thresholds for adding/subtracting. I.e. I assume Wing ranking of #1 is worth a certain amount of points, I assume a certain AFOQT/PCSM scores equates to a certain amount of points, etc etc. Or am I assuming incorrectly? Also, how do they score subjective things such as letter of rec and personal letter?

From everything I’m gathering, they are scoring this like an Enlisted Force Distribution Panel (EFPD) - refer DAFI36-2406. Board members will have wiggle room to place value on the different grading criteria(leadership/adaptability&potential/aptitude). For example, board member 1 could place more value on WG/CC ranking, while board member 2 could place more value on awards/decs/OPRs. So the same package these two board members grade could be a few points different. Needless to say, each applicant will get an overall score (combined from each board member’s score), important piece here are ties that are right on the cut off line. Those packages will be discussed to split the tie, meaning the board will come together and review and determine who makes it. Board members will explain why they scored the package the way did, and eventually come to the conclusion on which applicant should make the cutoff. 

just my experience sitting in a few boards. Take it with a grain of salt. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LeeLue said:

From everything I’m gathering, they are scoring this like an Enlisted Force Distribution Panel (EFPD) - refer DAFI36-2406. Board members will have wiggle room to place value on the different grading criteria(leadership/adaptability&potential/aptitude). For example, board member 1 could place more value on WG/CC ranking, while board member 2 could place more value on awards/decs/OPRs. So the same package these two board members grade could be a few points different. Needless to say, each applicant will get an overall score (combined from each board member’s score), important piece here are ties that are right on the cut off line. Those packages will be discussed to split the tie, meaning the board will come together and review and determine who makes it. Board members will explain why they scored the package the way did, and eventually come to the conclusion on which applicant should make the cutoff. 

just my experience sitting in a few boards. Take it with a grain of salt. 

Nah you’re overthinking it…. It’s more like the movie beerfest. Just a giant drinking competition to decide who gets selected or not

• Haha 3

On 11/10/2023 at 12:04 PM, Nightmare2773 said:

My buddy applied last year with a 99 PCSM/98 Pilot and was not selected.  Good luck to everyone.  We got this!!

That is concerning.  Do you happen to know their Wing Strat or Rank?  

Also awesome package you are sending up.  I would warn slightly against going for ABM in the current time just due to the divestment.  Tinker is shrinking right now to PCS out all the ABMs so that they can provide quality training for those that are still there.  However, by the time you are selected and go through UABMT/FTU a lot of those problems we are seeing today will be solved.

8 hours ago, simsans said:

That is concerning.  Do you happen to know their Wing Strat or Rank?  

Also awesome package you are sending up.  I would warn slightly against going for ABM in the current time just due to the divestment.  Tinker is shrinking right now to PCS out all the ABMs so that they can provide quality training for those that are still there.  However, by the time you are selected and go through UABMT/FTU a lot of those problems we are seeing today will be solved.

The only thing I can think of for someone not to get picked up with those scores are probably due to lack of leadership experience/qualities. Leadership is almost half of the criteria in which the board looks at. If a guy can fly, that’s only worth 30%. 

48 minutes ago, LeeLue said:

The only thing I can think of for someone not to get picked up with those scores are probably due to lack of leadership experience/qualities. Leadership is almost half of the criteria in which the board looks at. If a guy can fly, that’s only worth 30%. 

Very true.  I attended the RPP this year and when Cujo was talking over how much everything weighs on selection, he said that PCSM is a part, but do not stress over not having max scores.  I guess its a lot harder to make everything else a metric outside of the scores and that draws everyone in to focusing so hard on having a high PCSM/AFOQT. 

I do wish they would put out a document similar to how Enlisted Promotion Selection goes by them stating how many that were selected received a PN, MP or P.  Only for us it would be how many #1s, 2s, or 3s out of the bases were selected or top 25% strat, top middle, bottom middle, and bottom since every Wing has a different number that are strat'd against each other.

• Like 1