Refraction Error DQ

HerkJDriver

10 hours ago, Togapowerr said:

Hi all, I’m in a similar situation and wanted some input. So, I’m headed to OTS next week on a pilot slot for AD. If all goes well, I’ll be headed to UPT sometime after that (I heard that wait times can be around 6+ months). 

I already got my IFC done at Wright Patt last June. Here’s the thing - I barely squeaked by on the vision portion as I had a refractive error of -3.00. Anything worse and I would’ve been DQ’d. However, I was lucky and get approved. 

Now, I’ve learned from these forums that trained aircrew/pilots only need to meet FC2 criteria. However, I’ll still be considered “initial” aircrew before UPT. What happens if my refractive error gets worse than -3.00? Will I just lose my pilot slot? Can I get a waiver? Is refractive error even measured again after your IFC?

In short, I’m FC1 qualified but I’m worried that if my refractive error gets measured again right before UPT, I’ll be just outside the limits if my vision got any worse  

Your IFC I is good for four years (I believe).  Unless you are delayed to such a degree that you won't finish UPT before the four years is up, your refraction is not going to be rechecked during that time.  Even if you go in for an eye exam, they won't do the full cycloplegic refraction required to formally measure refractive error.  So no worries.

On 3/25/2023 at 9:14 AM, stuckindayton said:

Your IFC I is good for four years (I believe).  Unless you are delayed to such a degree that you won't finish UPT before the four years is up, your refraction is not going to be rechecked during that time.  Even if you go in for an eye exam, they won't do the full cycloplegic refraction required to formally measure refractive error.  So no worries.

That's great news, thanks so much for the reply! Adding onto that, what exactly are they "looking for" on these briefer eye exams? If they aren't looking at the refractive error, are they just checking that your vision is still correctable to 20/20, or is there anything with regards to your uncorrected vision that they are checking out?

Routine eye exams are not required by AF policy.  They only time you are required to see the optometrist is if you fail part of the vision screening at the flight doc office or if you wear contact lenses (annual eye exams required).

I've heard of some UPT commanders requiring eye exams off all UPT entrants just to catch any underlying vision problems that might impact UPT performance, but that is a one off decision.

9 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

Routine eye exams are not required by AF policy.  They only time you are required to see the optometrist is if you fail part of the vision screening at the flight doc office or if you wear contact lenses (annual eye exams required).

I've heard of some UPT commanders requiring eye exams off all UPT entrants just to catch any underlying vision problems that might impact UPT performance, but that is a one off decision.

Are the annual eye exams also required for glasses wearers, or literally just those that elect to use contact lenses? For context, I wear glasses which correct my vision to 20/20. I sometimes wear contacts for cosmetic reasons, but wasn’t planning on using them during OTS or anything after that as I know they make you more prone to eye infections. 

And can you elaborate on the vision screening process at the flight office, and what there is to “fail” (specifically anything regarding uncorrected distant vision)? In short, with my IFC now done and good for another 4 years, when/how will my uncorrected vision be checked again and what would result in a fail?

Apologies for all the questions - this is such a niche field so it’s really nice to talk to someone knowledgeable on the topic!

Annual eye exams are not required for people wearing solely glasses.  You are only required to have annual exams if you want to wear contact lenses when you fly for the AF because that requires you to be in the soft contact lens program.  If you want to wear them for cosmetic reasons, you don't have to be enrolled in the program, but I suspect you'd have to pay for the contact lens care off base (you typically have to buy your own contact lenses either way).  Historically, you had to be in the contact lens program if you chose to wear contact lenses for ANY reason while at UPT, but they changed the policy a couple of years ago to say it was only required if you wore contacts when flying.

Correction:  The change to the soft contact lens policy from a couple of years ago was to allow trained pilots (and other aircrew) to wear contact lenses off duty without having to enroll in the soft contact lens program.  I thought it applied to UPT students, but it does not.  If  you wear contact lenses off duty during UPT, you are still required to be enrolled in the program and, thus, would be required to have an annual eye exam.  Is anyone going to know if you do wear contact lenses on your time?  Probably not.

The vision check at the flight docs office is basically visual acuity (ie. 20/20 distant and near) and depth perception.  You will only be referred to optometry if you don't meet standards with your glasses.  I also believe they discontinued annual color vision testing at your annual PHA so that's one less thing to worry about.

From what I've heard, glasses work OK at UPT.  If you move on to airframes with certain helmet system (JHMCS, JSAM, F-35), contact lenses are often far more practical for compatibility reasons.  Spectacles don't fit well under them and are not comfortable at all when wearing the helmets.

No worries on the questions.  I'm retired.

BTW- eye infections are incredibly rare if you don't sleep in your contact lenses and otherwise give your eyes a break from them now and then.

Steve

Edited by stuckindayton

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2023 at 5:51 PM, stuckindayton said:

Annual eye exams are not required for people wearing solely glasses.  You are only required to have annual exams if you want to wear contact lenses when you fly for the AF because that requires you to be in the soft contact lens program.  If you want to wear them for cosmetic reasons, you don't have to be enrolled in the program, but I suspect you'd have to pay for the contact lens care off base (you typically have to buy your own contact lenses either way).  Historically, you had to be in the contact lens program if you chose to wear contact lenses for ANY reason while at UPT, but they changed the policy a couple of years ago to say it was only required if you wore contacts when flying.

Correction:  The change to the soft contact lens policy from a couple of years ago was to allow trained pilots (and other aircrew) to wear contact lenses off duty without having to enroll in the soft contact lens program.  I thought it applied to UPT students, but it does not.  If  you wear contact lenses off duty during UPT, you are still required to be enrolled in the program and, thus, would be required to have an annual eye exam.  Is anyone going to know if you do wear contact lenses on your time?  Probably not.

The vision check at the flight docs office is basically visual acuity (ie. 20/20 distant and near) and depth perception.  You will only be referred to optometry if you don't meet standards with your glasses.  I also believe they discontinued annual color vision testing at your annual PHA so that's one less thing to worry about.

From what I've heard, glasses work OK at UPT.  If you move on to airframes with certain helmet system (JHMCS, JSAM, F-35), contact lenses are often far more practical for compatibility reasons.  Spectacles don't fit well under them and are not comfortable at all when wearing the helmets.

No worries on the questions.  I'm retired.

BTW- eye infections are incredibly rare if you don't sleep in your contact lenses and otherwise give your eyes a break from them now and then.

Steve

Thank you once again! I have one last question - is it true that once you are complete with UPT (and considered a "trained airmen") that your next comprehensive IFC-type of exam will only grade you to FC2 standards?

2 hours ago, Togapowerr said:

Thank you once again! I have one last question - is it true that once you are complete with UPT (and considered a "trained airmen") that your next comprehensive IFC-type of exam will only grade you to FC2 standards?

You are correct.  Trained pilots are required to meet FC II standards which are significantly more lenient than FC I.  If you don’t meet FC II standards waivers are given for most everything at that point.  The only time a trained pilot gets DQ’d is when there is a safety of flight concern or when they don’t meet retention standards.

There really isn’t an FC II exam comparable to the FC I process.  You are required to have an annual PHA, which is done by the flight doc and that’s pretty much it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/8/2023 at 3:37 PM, stuckindayton said:

You are correct.  Trained pilots are required to meet FC II standards which are significantly more lenient than FC I.  If you don’t meet FC II standards waivers are given for most everything at that point.  The only time a trained pilot gets DQ’d is when there is a safety of flight concern or when they don’t meet retention standards.

There really isn’t an FC II exam comparable to the FC I process.  You are required to have an annual PHA, which is done by the flight doc and that’s pretty much it.

Hello again! I’ve made it through OTS and I am finally sitting as a casual at my UPT base. I’m scheduled to start pilot training in a few months. 

I had a brief optometry check today and it was very straightforward - a distance and near eye test with my glasses, an eye pressure test, and then getting a new prescription for my contact lenses. 

That said, the optometrist told me there will be one more vision check a couple of weeks prior to my UPT class start. It was described as another flight physical where they’ll check both corrected and uncorrected vision (along with lots of other health checks like BP, etc)

The optometrist said I shouldn’t be worried and that barring a sharp and sudden drop in visual acuity, I should be okay for the uncorrected test before UPT. That said, are you aware of the specifics on this?

It seems like it won’t be nearly as in depth as what I had at Wright Patt, but I’m still curious as to how they’ll “measure” my uncorrected visual acuity and what constitutes a pass/fail. They did confirm that I’ll still need to meet FC1 standards until I’m winged, after which I’ll just need to meet FC2 standards. Either way, they said my vision has been stable and I shouldn’t be concerned for the last flight physical, but of course I want to be prepared for the worst. 

For reference, my glasses prescription reads as follows: 

Right eye: Spherical: -2.50. Cylindrical: -1.00

Left eye: Spherical: -1.75. Cylindrical: -1.00

23 minutes ago, Togapowerr said:

Hello again! I’ve made it through OTS and I am finally sitting as a casual at my UPT base. I’m scheduled to start pilot training in a few months....

Pretty much what the optometrist said- the flight doc just needs to confirm you meet all flight standards before you start flying.  You don't need to repeat the FC I since it's good for four years, so no worries about whether your prescription is within standard.  It's just to confirm that you meet standards for distant/near acuity, depth perception, air puff eye pressure, etc. using either your glasses or contact lenses or both.  They will also check your blood pressure, listen to your heart, and all the other good stuff that goes along with a routine exam.

In regards to eyes and vision, the primary purpose is mostly to make sure that you have a current set of glasses, especially those highly desirable aircrew specs.  No one is expecting a problem at this point.