Looking for ways to stand out

Thank you in advance for reading. I am looking for any advice to augment my package as well as answers to a few specific questions:

I am 22 years old and a recent graduate from the University of Georgia. I have a degree in Finance with a minor in Aerospace Studies and a 3.85 GPA. I have a 99 pilot AFOQT, 93 PCSM, a PPL, and 85 flight hours. I also held a variety of jobs and volunteer positions in college ranging anywhere from bartender to intern at a special needs outreach. My current job is in Texas with Bell Helicopter however I am still intent on flying for the Guard or Reserve. Specifically, I have been reaching out to any fighter units in the South that will speak with me. As I am waiting for boards to open up, I am curious if anyone has some advice to help my package stand out? I am open to any suggestions or even another set of eyes to read over what I have.

As far as specific questions: 1) How important is the recency of Letters of Recommendation? I am very happy with mine however they were written about a year and a half ago. Should I update them? 2) Has anyone used the bogidope consulting packages and if so, are they worth the money? 3) I have called most of the units I am interested in with very little luck. Should I continue to call or are units trending away from taking cold calls?

1) How important is the recency of Letters of Recommendation? I am very happy with mine however they were written about a year and a half ago. Should I update them? 
-Not important. Some boards will specify they need to be within like 6 months or a year. A year and a half seems like a long time. I’d recommend getting them updated. Make sure they’re personalized for each location in the “To” line. Easiest way is to just get permission from the people who wrote them to make small edits as necessary.

2) Has anyone used the bogidope consulting packages and if so, are they worth the money?
-I didn’t and I got picked up. The biggest thing you can do for yourself is visit squadrons in person. That will do more for you than anything else. That said - if you feel you need that extra boost and have the funds for it, do it.

3) I have called most of the units I am interested in with very little luck. Should I continue to call or are units trending away from taking cold calls?
-Don’t stop calling. Keep going until you get in contact with someone and are able to schedule
face to face time with them.

Final word of advice is that your cover letter is probably the most important part of the package. Having perfect scores and background doesn’t matter if:
1) Your cover letter sucks and you can’t convey how bad you want to fly specifically for them, their mission, and how you’d make a good fit
2) You don’t visit in person

Consider your package just “checking the boxes”. The real test is visiting in person and getting to know everyone. Making sure you “fit” with the culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 1

@7thokagethank you for the feedback. My past letters have been addressed neutrally however I will be sure to personalize future LORs. Do you think it is okay if LORs do not have a signature? I only ask because it would be hard to have a word document that I could edit for each unit and also have a signature.

I will also continue calling units in hopes of getting some face time. In your experience, is it reasonable to ask to visit on the initial call or does that tend to come after some back and forth conversation?

@Auspicious Aviator

1) As @7thokage mentioned, not important. I think its okay to not have signatures, but if you can get them signed for every squadron it would look more professional, a few of mine are not signed. I don't think it is make or break.

2) I have used Bogi Dope and the content in the e-courses are great materials to read through a few days/weeks before an interview. You get great advice from guys who went through the same process you and I are in and it has shown me things I have been doing wrong in my resume/cover letter I would not have known otherwise.

3) Ask to schedule to speak with a pilot. I came to many dead ends until I started asking to speak with a specific pilot. I found success in doing some research on the squadron, finding a pilot mentioned in their website, and requesting to speak with Maj. ### about his journey/experience. 

• Like 2