Possible to reserve retire at 20?

Is it possible to voluntarily transfer to retired reserve at 20 yrs?

I have a guy in my sq who has prior enlisted time (so it’s not a msd retirement). ARPC is telling him he can’t req retirement until he gets 20 yrs, possibly not until his 20 yr letter. If that’s true the earliest he can retire is after attaining 20 yrs:

+120 days to receive 20 yr letter

+180 days notice

=20 yrs & 10 months!

Anyone have anecdotal experience with this situation?

• 2 weeks later...

I asked the question to ARPC. They said that the earliest to request transfer is when the members knows he will have 20 good years. IOW when he gets 35 points in that final year.
But you gotta make damn sure you have 20 good years before exercising this option bc the 20 yr letter will be published after you’re out.

• 2 months later...

Update: Now ARPC is telling him that while he was able to request retirement once getting 35 points, they will not publish the retirement order until he gets 50 points, excluding his (eventually awarded) membership points. So as it stands: to voluntarily retire right at 20 years it takes 65 points.

Huh? You mean to retire as early as possible with a 20 year reserve retirement it takes 19 good years plus 65 points to apply for retirement? So 25 days of double points? 5 weeks of working AFTP’s and RD/RSD’s?

No it takes 35 points to apply. 65 points to actually retire at 20 yrs bc they won’t publish the order until you have 50 points in your 20th year (not including the 15 membership points ghat you get at the end of your 20th year).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk