Places to live while at Pope

Guest Herk Hits the PI

Guest Herk Hits the PI

Ive heard to live up near Raleigh or near Pinehurst, but does anyone have specific recommendations on nice apartments or townhouses to live at while based at Pope? Im not really interested in buying a house since I dont know how quick the BRAC is gonna go through.

Raleigh? Only if you're a big fan of long commutes -- it's over 60 miles from Fayetenam to Raleigh.

I know two guys at Pope, both live in a small community named Vass that's about 20-30 minutes from base.

Herk,

Being stationed at Pope is a unique experience. People here live all over the map -- what I mean is your squadron mates could live as far as 1 hour or more from each other, yet still be 30-45 minutes from base. The best thing to do is spend a decent amount of time house-hunting here AFTER consulting with the base housing office AND your squadron mates as far as WHERE NOT TO LIVE.

I agree, Raleigh is 60+ miles away on sub-par roads -- not a good plan for a pilot with a crazy flying schedule... I vouch for living West/Southwest of Pope -- that includes Vass (Woodlake), Southern Pines, and Pinehurst. You will find the commute to these places easy, the neighborhoods nice (with much fewer Humvees in the driveways than in the 'Nam), and a relatively easy drive up US-1 to Cary and Raleigh.

I have previously lived deep in the heart of the 'Nam and regretted it. The problem with Fayettenam is that there is no zoning and a perfectly nice (looking) neighborhood can be surrounded by "the hood" with multiple homicides and other violent crimes occuring within blocks of your home (as was the case of my old home).

Hope Mills should be avoided as well (my opinion), it can be a nasty traffic-filled commute and you are really off in no-man's land living down there (although to the casual observer it looks nice...)

43d Guys correct me if I am wrong, but the BRAC should take place within 3 or so years?

Let me know if you have more questions.

Guest Herk Hits the PI

Thanks for the replies. Im going to go to the housing office, but I was just trying to get a jump on things while Im sitting here waiting on my RIP.

Lots of guys recently have been buying houses towards Raleigh. I only know one guy who lives in the city proper (90 minute commute at the least), but quite a few live in the suburbs - Apex, Cary, and Fuquay-Varina. The housing market up there is solid, but I really don't know much about apartments there. Great communities and an awesome town to be close too.

Southern Pines and Vass have some apartments and are within 30 - 45 minutes of Pope. Not a whole lot going on there commercially, but decent nightlife. It's over an hour to Raleigh from there

The town of Sanford lies almost exactly 1/2 way between Raleigh and Pope. There isn't much there - standard southeast town of 35,000, but it will get you yo the bars on Gleenwood in 35 minutes, or to work for your 0330 show Monday morning in 40 minutes. There are a few apartment complexes there. PM me if you have specific questions.

There are way too many apartments in Fayettenam to start listing them here, but I'll second that you are never too far from the ghetto in that town. If you are single and think you'll be wanting to go out a lot, I'd reccomend living elsewhere. If you are married buy a house in one of the gated golf communities. If however shoddy strip clubs showcasing 5th class swamp donkeys is more your cup of tea, then perhaps the 'nam is the place for you.

Guest Herk Hits the PI

Im getting married in May so no swamp donkeys for me. Definitely would like a nice neighborhood close to some golf courses.

From a fellow crew-dog -- Hoke county has the worst schools in all of NC. Not that big a deal if you don't have kids... but...

I (personally) would recommend NOT living in/near Hoke County. There is a lot of new construction and a very depressed housing market down there. You are also pretty far off the beaten track --- for no reason (i.e. you are not near golf, Raleigh, bodies of water, NOTHING!)

But, as in anything else, make your own decision!

Feel free to browse:

Military Homes By Owner Website

There are lots of Pope/Bragg area homes listed for sale and rent.

[ 08. February 2006, 17:33: Message edited by: Baseops.Net ]

Carolina Trace (AKA Pope AFB annex) and Carolina Lakes are the two biggies. I'd venture to say that 1/3 of the married officers in the 2AS and 41AS live in one of the two. If you are ready to buy a house then from all I have seen and heard this is a good bet. If not, you can find 3 bedroom houses in there that rent for around $700 - $850 a month.

Thanks for the gouge on Hoke county. These other places such as Vass don't sound bad. I just wanted to avoid living in the city. I grew up in the country and like that rural atmosphere.

You all in the 43rd? Probably another topic, but wondered about the BRAC decision. My unit is moving there and thought we would remain intact as the same unit, but with active duty mixed in. Reading the 43rd BRAC results makes it sound like both our units are getting disbanded into a new unit.

If Fayettenam sucks - where do you guys go to do anything? The married couple routine that is - not the single guy bar-hoppin lifestyle - good restaurants, shopping, recreation (other than golf), that kind of thing. Do you use the facilities on base mostly? Sounds like Raleigh is a bit far for dinner and a movie.

Gotta ask, will be married when/after I'm at Pope.

[ 08. February 2006, 21:19: Message edited by: Hotel ]

I am not 43d (but once was a while ago...)

Depending on where you live, you are closer to some of these:

Aberdeen / Southern Pines / Pinehurst has plenty of restaurants to eat at & a decent amount of shopping places (new stores opening all the time). There are even a few bars that are nicer and safer than the 'Nam.

Cary is not too far up US-1, and offers tons of food and shopping (e.g. REI).

Outdoors activities abound - if you live in this neck of the woods, the Uwharrie National Forrest is less than 2 hours away (camping, hiking, mt. biking, fishing, night low-level flying); Lake Jordan is up US-1 as well (about 1.5 hours North).

Additionally, I live on a private lake and own a boat - so when I am not logging flight time in OEF/OIF, I am out on the water.

Every now and then, when I feel brave, I do my combat entry checks and drive into Fayettenam!

[ 10. February 2006, 16:45: Message edited by: Baseops.Net ]